1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SP Happenings #180 - 8 Years of Sorcerer's Place!

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As many of you have undoubtedly noticed, it's been a few months since my last entry in the SP Happenings blog. Truth be told, I didn't expect to make another entry until I had something site development-wise to post, but then a little reminder has gone off and I've realized that today marks 8 years of Sorcerer's Place's existence. Reason enough to write a few words.

To say that real life has consumed me would be a vast exaggeration, since I have never really left SP and have kept up its routine maintenance, as our message board regulars can attest. I have, however, found very little extra time to dedicate to the site and content updates, which are a rather integral part of healthy development activities on a site such as SP. I've slowly been getting back on track with this over the past few weeks (the transition to new message board software is now my priority), and once I'm done with my university responsibilities in a few weeks I should have enough free time on my hands to tackle the most pressing updates that SP urgently requires. In short, things should start getting more lively around here in the next few weeks.

Happily, our message boards are still going strong with over 10,500 registered members, forming a community of gamers where many stick around even after their focus has shifted from the games covered on SP. I have several new features in store for all kinds of our visitors, so everyone can expect something new in the near future.

Considering that it's also been a long time since my last call for screenshot submissions I am now in dire need of screenshots from ALL the games covered on SP. So if you're playing now, or have some good ones stored, don't hesitate to send them in - fame awaits! All of the submission instructions are available here.

As a small token of my gratitude to the current site supporters (SPS Account Holders) who have helped me keep SP and our small network of hosted sites out of the red for the past year, I have extended the subscription period on all accounts for 8 additional weeks to celebrate SP's eighth anniversary. Additionally, anyone signing up for a new SPS Account (or an extension!) via a donation over the next 2 weeks (up to and including the 24th of June) will also receive a free 8-week extension added to their account. If you've been waiting for a good time to show your support and appreciation for SP (again), this is it! You can make your donation on this page. Thank you also to those of you supporting SP via other means - every bit of help is very much appreciated.

» Previous SPH

2. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

*uncorks the champagne* (we need an icon for that!) Many happy returns :)

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Happy B-Day to SP! :banana:

Where's the cake Tal? :yum:

Hopefully SP and the BoM will be around for at least another 8 years! :thumb: :rolling:

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Happy Bday SP :beer: :banana:

Long may she reign and all who write in her !!

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Fantastic. SP will be an unruly teenager before we know it. It's growing up so fast.

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

dude, Baldur's Gate is a 8 years old game already!

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Happy birthday SP!

I don't think I ever noticed SP and I were born on the same day... interesting.

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

****, I've been around for six years already...

Awesome.

9. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    @Tal & everyone:

Oh wow...

Keep the ball rolling :thumb:

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Amazing, That website is from the last milenium :shake:

11. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    So am I when you think about it. :D

I'm proud to be a part of the SP community, and I will be here for the 10th year just as I was for the 8th.

12. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hooray hooray!
    This makes me feel a little bit old now...

13. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    /me uncorks his ol'bottle'o'screenshots

And, of course, congrats!
    :beer: Now I have an excuse to open a bottle of beer, cheers Tal :beer:

14. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Congratulations and thank you, Tal.

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Happy birthday, SP. :D

16. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Here's to 8 more years! :beer:

17. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

In honor of SP's eighth and inspired by some of the old chatroom regulars, three of us in the FAI got together and did this...
    Code:
    [18:12] <Felinoid> .
    [18:12] <Felinoid>    Arrr!Arrr!Arrr!Arrr!          Arrr!Arrr!               Arrr!
    [18:12] <Tiamat>      Arrr!Arrr!Arrr!Arrr!         Arrr!  Arrr!              Arrr!
    [18:12] <LordDomino>         Arrr!                Arrr!    Arrr!             Arrr!
    [18:13] <Felinoid>           Arrr!               Arrr!      Arrr!            Arrr!
    [18:13] <Tiamat>             Arrr!              Arrr!        Arrr!           Arrr!
    [18:13] <LordDomino>         Arrr!             Arrr!Arrr!Arrr!Arrr!          Arrr!
    [18:13] <Felinoid>           Arrr!            Arrr!            Arrr!         Arrr!
    [18:13] <Tiamat>             Arrr!           Arrr!              Arrr!        Arrr!
    [18:13] <LordDomino>         Arrr!          Arrr!                Arrr!       Arrr!
    [18:13] <Felinoid>           Arrr!         Arrr!                  Arrr!      Arrr!Arrr!Arrr!
    [18:13] <Tiamat>             Arrr!        Arrr!                    Arrr!     Arrr!Arrr!Arrr!
    [18:14] <Felinoid> Woohoo! ^_^
    [18:14] <LordDomino> Ha. Did it in ONE take :¬P
    [18:14] <Octara> you might have well spelled out BEER with that amount of wibblage o_0
    [18:14] <Tiamat> LOL
    [18:14] <Tiamat> Let's do it! XD
    [18:14] <LordDomino> oh what a marvellous idea XD
    [18:14] <Octara> >_<
    Contrary to what LD said, though, it took us about four takes. All due to Tia. :p ;)

18. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yeah, blame me. No more catnip for you :p

19. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Indeed: I performed marvellously with no rehearsal!

Happy birthday, SP :)

20. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Good work Tal, 8 years of game help and good company to thousands. Quite an accomplishment!

Thanks

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.