1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SoZ glitch? bug?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by spellbender, Sep 1, 2009.

1. spellbender Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

OK, here's my dilemma,

I have the OC and SoZ installed without MotB. (Patched to 1.22.1588) I'm running on a borderline bottom end computer and toolset won't run, but the game runs fine, (if slow).

SoZ touts a level cap of 30, on mine it's 20. Further, all classes and PrC's introduced in MotB are locked, I can't choose one as a player or level up a cohort that has one.

My question: Is there a patch that corrects this or am I going to have to get a game that just doesn't appeal to me?

Thank you in advance

Thanks Reply With Quote

2. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

its not a glitch and it is not a bug. Without Motb you wont get access to the classes introduced by that expansion and the levelcap will stay at 20.

since any normal SoZ game ends around level 17-18 max it shouldn't be a problem.

but if you want the content MotB offers, you have to actually buy the game. And you should give it a chance, personally I hate epic levels, but the story in MotB is worth it.

3. spellbender Gems: 1/31

Actually the whole idea of playing a character saddled with the curse of a vampire wannabe, just has no appeal to me at all. And from what I've seen of the storyline, that's all it is. Thanks, but no thanks.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, no that's not all it is. That has a bearing on a major game mechanic, but the story itself is much more rich, concerning questions about why the faithless should suffer for enternity in the Wall.

5. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    I agree it is part of a much larger story. This is like saying you shouldn't see a movie because someone told you a 1 sentence secret that explains an part of the end. Much more is there to be seen.

Also that brings up one of my questions. I thought beings in the wall were obliterated within a matter of weeks. This means without a continual inflow the wall would disappear.

If someone from the FR fantasy world goes into the wall and are stuck there forever that explains how the wall lasts (as well as his suffering). But that contradicts the prior point. So which part of the fluff/wall description is correct?

6. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

And that's worse than a bunch of evil snake people that want to take over the land:confused:

7. spellbender Gems: 1/31

OK, so I picked up a really cheap copy of the expansion, still not sure if I'll play the adventure. I looked deeper into the plot line and sorry, the curse is the driving motivation for the main character, to get rid of it or embrace it. The Wall story is fluff, you may or may not get drawn into depending on your decisions in the game.

8. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

no you will get drawn into the question about the wall no matter what you choose. the wall and curse are very closely connected, so no the wall isn't just "fluff".

As regarding how long it takes for a person to be obliterated, I can't find any definite source, so it is probably not an exact time amount but just something that happens slowly, as vague as that is. After all, you can be freed from the wall or accept the destiny, that your very soul in the end is destroyed and you become nothing, or you can possibly cling to an unlife in the wall waiting and hopping for the crusade to succeed. That at least seems to be the three options given in the game.

9. spellbender Gems: 1/31

Hmm...

How do I put this?

OK, I don't play these games for the story, I play them for the character. I suppose it might be different if Obsidian could tell a story within the context of the game without using rather blatant 'come alongs' to keep the story rolling. So to me, MotB is all about being a vampire like character, regardless of the back story. And frankly I just don't see the attraction to playing that kind of character.

'come alongs' -- scripting that either forces the player to do something they wouldn't necessarily do or scripting that prevents the player from taking a legitimate action or scripting that allows the antagonist to do something that they shouldn't be able to do. This term also includes those tidbits of information given to the player that should have bearing on game play, but don't. (not talking about cut scenes about which the character would have no knowledge)

10. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

And yet, the plot is infinitely better than that of the first NWN. Vampires are boring (except Bram's Dracula), but devouring spirit beasts is a tad different.

11. pplr Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Vampires maybe, I don't think they are boring but they are often used (how many D&D series can you name out of all the ones you know that at some point they don't show up?)

Still vamps being there doesn't necessitate it being a routine or boring game. If anything I think they could be an understandable repeat enemy of the party as just beating them up with magic weapons sends them packing for that night but they may return another.... come to think of it how many series have vampires that your party fights, defeats, but doesn't permanently put down?

Vamps can still gain levels and thus become even stronger enemies later (repeat boss fights) and may do so until you do one of the more permanent things to stop them.

Just as a side point what do you think the likelihood of l768, who posted above (post two above mine) of knowing english are?

I'm glad to see new members to speak and talk with but his/her comment here and elsewhere on a different SoZ thread seemed to simply copy and paste something someone else said (word for word) and offer the bags and sales whatnot as a signature.

If he or she is interested in the game that would be grand and he or she would be totally welcome by myself and others. But it would be nice if he or she would actually take part in the discussion rather than subtly offering items for purchase.

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.