1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sounds Upgrade: Headphones & Soundcard

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Wordplay, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] So, I'm thinking of buying a new soundcard and new headphones. After surfing the net and reading several reviews it seems like Audigy 2 ZS and Sennheiser HD590 are the pair I'm looking for. Nevertheless, they will be costing about 300€ in total so I want to be sure that they really have a great sound quality and also last for the next 8 years, at least.

(Note that I just took the first reviews to hit my eyes in Google -they probably are sponsored.)

So, opinions? How would they compare against my current Live!5.1 and Philips HP800 combo? :hmm:

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't know much of the headphones, but from what I've heard, the Audigy 2 ZS is awesome if you can afford it. There's even a gamer version that comes with a ton of games that showcase the sound. I haven't used one myself, but I have used Creative Labs Extigy, and that was excellent, so I don't see any reason not to recommend the Audigy 2 ZS.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Guess I forgot to mention, but there is a bulk, non-platinum version available for only 60€ (only a little more than the age old Live! -serie). It *shouldn't* be a stripped version, but you never know...

4. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I recently got the Audigy 2 ZS platinum and love it. Has more bells and whistles than most will ever use, and the sound is incredible. As for headphones, if you'd be interested in some 5.1 speaker headphones, check out the Kinyo KY-100 (from NewEgg.com). They're a little heavy, but sound great.

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Those aren't too expensive either. My friend just spent 300 bucks on his pair of headphones.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Ordered the package and it cost me 324€, which is about as much in dollars, and had to pay ~20€ extra due of the retail packaging (bulk was sold-out in every shop I tried). :(

Better be worth it...

**EDIT**

Just to the curious: yeah, they are good, with firm bass, clear tunes, and comfy too. Have yet to try games that use EAX, but I expect them to be a little better too. As to the negative sides; the sounds are a bit too warm and, truth to tell, 300 bucks of a minor improvement like this is a bit too much if it is only one-time investiment (I intend to use them for the next 7 years, at least). In overall: good, not absolutely outstanding, but a solid choise nevertheless.

So, if you see these for a total of 200 bucks, do take them. :p

[ January 19, 2005, 23:56: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

How about these? These also look nice, but without the RF irradiation that the Koss units provide. These are also non-irradiating, but with a less artistic cradle.

I'm being just a little bit humorous, here. You can find wireless headphones for $100 and under. I wasn't kidding about the RF, though; I'd get IR before I got radio.

As for sound cards, I can tell a difference between the Nforce2's "Soundstorm" and the SB Live in my computers. The SB Live is a little better, but you'd only notice it if you were using a good set of headphones and the game relied on sound a lot. If you're playing D&D or Unreal Tournament 2004, you're not going to notice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.