1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sound Problem in TotL

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Otis, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Otis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm looking for some advice from the very clever people who come to this board.

One of the really cool things about IWD is the realistic combat sounds. The clanging of the swords on armor, the whistling of the arrows and thrumming of the bows... they make battles a lot of fun to hear as well as play.

However, I've discovered that, since installing TotL, all those great battles sounds have disappeared and been replaced by a boring, generic "crunch" kind of sound.

Just to make sure, yesterday I uninstalled everything and reinstalled IWD, then HoW, then TotL, skipping the IWD patch and HOW patch because they should have been unnecessary. After each install, I started a new game and tested. IWD worked fine, HoW worked fine, TotL gave me the crunch sound.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know the solution? Is there a specific file I can remove or replace in my override folder? I'd love to be able to replay the full game again, but won't do it unless I can fix this.

[ December 14, 2004, 01:03: Message edited by: Otis ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Never had this problem with ToTL. What exactly is the "crunch" sound? Music? Sound effects?

Do you have EAX on? Try turning it off if you do.

3. Otis Gems: 2/31

It sounds like one of the other game sound effects, simliar to (or possibly identical to) the one that comes from bombardier beetles when they attack you. I don't think it's random noise, and all other game sounds appear to work fine.

I didn't have EAX on since it wouldn't allow it on my machine, but I will double-check the .ini file and try again.

4. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Never had any problems with TotL... Very strange...
    :idea: I don't know if this will help:

Try and open the IWD config.
    In the 'game' tab, make sure the *attack sounds* is checked... (and as Taluntain says, turn off the *EAX sounds* option)...

Good luck... ;)

5. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have this problem too :(

6. Otis Gems: 2/31

Well, I was messing around with it last night some more. After uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times, I was able to confirm that it is definitely TotL that introduces this... everything up to the HoW patch worked fine.

EAX is definitely off. Attack sounds is definitely on.

The issue seems to be introduced by the IDMain.exe. As an experiment, I saved the .exe from the HOW patch version, then replaced the TotL version with it. The attack sounds came back!

It's reporting version 1.4 (not 1.41) and it's almost certain to cause a problem at some point in the game if I keep things that way (don't know since I'm only in Kresselack's tomb), but it seems like definite proof that something in TotL is responsible.

It's possible that something is wrong with the copy of TotL I downloaded, but I tried it from two different places: FilePlanet and ftp.hol.gr (which virus-scanned OK). Any chance that someone who is not experiencing this problem can make their version of the file available for download somewhere?

UPDATE: Thanks to the kind assistance of another user here, I am sorry to report that it is definitely NOT a result of a bad TotL download. I used that user's copy, and he reports no problems, but the same thing happened on mine.

Is everyone else running this on XP?

[ December 14, 2004, 20:38: Message edited by: Otis ]

SlickRCBD likes this.
  7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I was last playing this on Windows 98. Btw, ToTL introduces another serious game bug in the original game, so the best thing to do is just install IWD+HoW and the HoW patch, and only install ToTL after you get to HoW. You kill two birds with one stone that way.

8. Otis Gems: 2/31

What game bug is introduced?

9. Taluntain

Media:
  10. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hope that we can solve this problem, somehow. Maybe TotL does not like Win XP ?

11. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm using win 98 :eek:

12. Otis Gems: 2/31

Well, here's my deal:

WinXP on a VAIO Sony PCG-GRZ610 laptop.
    Full install.
    EAX off (does not allow enabling)
    OpenGL on.
    no other significant information I can think of.

13. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

It's not just XP, I am experiencing the same issue with Win98SE.

The cool sounds of metal against metal in battles have been replaced by "swish" and "crunch" kind of sounds. I have decided to uninstall the lot and install only IWD:HoW. I'll install ToTL when I am finished with the game.

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] So, I've found two examples of reports of this problem, but no solutions other than "uninstall Trials of the Luremaster".

Am I missing the thread with the solution? If so, could one of the moderators please "pin" it to the top?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.