1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sound bugs - Voice effects working randomly

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Thor, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Right! After who knows how many years since last time I played Baldurs Gate, I finally dug up my old discs, blew dust off them, beheld the suprisingly unscratched surface - And gave them to my brother to play. :p We installed it on his laptop first, the "reccomended" installation, since it was temporary anyway. Then we installed the official ToB Patch, the sorcerer's place fixpack, Unfinished Business, Banterpack, and Ease of Use.

The game worked like a charm, untill we wanted to save. Whenever we tried to save, the game gives us the finger and tells us it won't. Quickly found out that this is Vista's fault, since for various reasons he doesn't have full administrator rights on that laptop, and for some reason, Vista won't let the game save and write to the disc or whatever. Regardless, this does not really matter, because as I said, it was only temporary anyway.

---------------

Two days later, we installed it on his stationary computer. It's an old hunkajunk, but it has the far more forgiving XP on it, and is otherwise in fairly good shape. We installed the Full thing this time so that he wouldn't be interupted at every turn, having to replace discs - and installed the very same mods, + Dungeonbegone, more or less in that order. Could save properly now and everything seemed fine, but now we have one very big problem which I can't find the solution too:

All voice sounds work only randomly, or not at all.
    The background music seems to work fine. Ambience sounds seem to work fine. Battle sounds seem to work fine. Everything but voices.

Voices in cutscenes don't work. Voices when selected don't work. Moving/attacking emotes - for the most part, nothing works. Every now and then it DOES work for some reason however, Minsc suddenly started ranting about shaking evil to see what falls out quite suddenly at one point, and Imoen said her selected-emote once - aswell as some various others randomly and rarely working.

Can anyone help me finding some solution to this, or atleast maybe point me in the right direction too see what can be done?
    So far, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything except Dungeonbegone again, so that it was exacly the same as it was on the laptop - where the soundeffects worked flawlessly - but that did not help either. I can't imagine that it should be at fault because we isntalled the full-install instead of the one that requires CD's either - if anything that should rather be the other way around.

Any help, advice, or otherwise tips will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully, I have worded my situation clearly enough to be understood. ^^"

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

If you've got "Environmental Audio" in the game's sound options turned on, try turning it off.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Since you've got ToB, you'll want to replace the SP fixpack with Baldurdash; the SP fixpack is only for SoA.

4. Thor Gems: 10/31

Hmm. Now that you mention it, I am unsure whether I installed the SP fixpack or Baldurdash on the stationary. I actually think I installed Baldurdash on the laptop, but the SP-fixpack on the Stationary. Will have to check that out over the weekend, thanks for the heads up Tal. :)

5. Thor Gems: 10/31

Turns out it was indeed ToB version of Baldurdash I had installed, not the fixpack. The thing that confused me was that the actual baldurdash install-file was named tobfixpack or something thereabouts, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Reinstalled it completely since my brother had tried fixing it on his own, and managed to break it completely. I have no idea how he managed to do what he did, but I had to manually force-remove BG from the registry to be able to convince the game that it was infact uninstalled. Whenever I ran the setup, it started to uninstall the already nonexisting files, and promptly croaked up and died.

However!
    When things finally were in order, we installed it completely freshly without absolutely anything - not even the official patch - and the voice effects still weren't working. So I tried unchecking the environmental audio as you suggested Susi, and 'lo and behold; It's working perfectly xD

Mods and fixes successfully installed, everything in working order, seems to be fine! It's always those silly, stupid small check-boxes like that that end up being the solution, isn't it? :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.