1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Souls-Like Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by argento-dtw, Jan 14, 2015.

1. argento-dtw Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Do you like -I'm sorry if I eventually couldn't find a relevant existing topic on this subject...I truly searched and didn't see any mention of such games- the so called Souls-Like games, i.e. those inspired by Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1&2 ?

http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?threads/update-what-is-argento-dtw-playing-with.73719/

On my latest blog post, as well as in Techno-Magic (since I there addressed the issue from the perspective of me emulating Windows to run the game), I have expressed my astonishment for this marvelous game by Codemasters (2001): Severance - Blade of Darkness.

AFAIK it's a truly unknown and underrated, and not by a little margin!
    That game was, from today's retrospective, light years ahead, since it's a low fantasy medieval action game with a little RPG flavour which not only is clearly a precursor to Demon's Souls (much more than FROM Software's precedent franchise, called King's Field), but features a Battle System which is in more than one aspect even better than Souls' :O.
    And the gore, lol! Severed limbs which you can take and throw on enemies actually damaging them a little, total interaction with the environment (example: possibility to throw chairs onto enemies...virtually every object in truth lol).

Whoever loves DS will find himself at home with this retro game.

Some footage from youtube:

(I'm WAAAY lower level thant this guy, obviously)

What do you think?
    I am amazed and have blocked all my other runs on other games and am playing this one exclusively!
    It is substituting my wish to play Dark Souls (I can't afford the needed machine for now, I have, alas, broken my laptop months ago and have just an old one) totally!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm wondering, what exactly is the attraction of 'Souls-like' games?

As far as I understand it, not having played those games, is that they are balls-tough, which is apparently appealing to certain people, but is that also the main attraction (to you), or is it something else?

3. argento-dtw Gems: 2/31

Speaking for myself, I have several reasons:

1. The difficulty level and the overall feel are more similar to older games -if you compare to the action games of today where you're very "guided" and it's kind of an interactive movie-
    ....it damn feels like a "videogame", I am not able to explain :) You actually have to be skilled, like, say, Super Mario Bros and not like let's say Dragon Age II where you had a game that plays itself alone by spamming one key except if you raise the difficulty simply doubling the enemies' hp. :/

2. The bosses. The bosses are memorable and you have to figure out their patterns to beat them. And you control your PC very actively: these games' action is really deep. Timing, wit and the courage to risk (because these games are punishing) make the mix of what's required from the player.

3. General level design and general mechanics are such that it is not so important, for example, to endlessly grind for exp and then become invincible. You'll never be invincible....achievements and acquired skills are gratification and serve to make your very own flexible build that adapts itself to your playstyle.
    Still, if you lose concentration, a level 120 character can die to the basic skeleton wielding a sword, if hit multiple times. Because concretely you are being hit by a sword, even if, due to experience, you have a character with a much better defense and damage output.
    It's like in pen and paper rpg's of the 90's... in DnD 2nd edition you became basically an immortal... you could have a character that was impossible to hit.
    In Warhammer Fantasy roleplay, even a maxed out character could lose a limb to a basic infantry soldier, if the latter managed to give one single blow to that limb with a razor sharp sword. Everything is very realistic and you can die easily.
    Imagine a mix between an action rpg and a survival horror where you have a very good battle system where you control very well your hits, your skills, you actively raise a shield in order to block, you can parry, roll... all of this is what makes these games special.

4. The atmosphere. Well.. you must like the genre of each game. The Souls series is dark fantasy.... such a setting plus the constant sense of danger are truly immersive.

As for the storytelling, there is no match against Baldur's Gate.
    But we are speaking of action hybrid rpgs.... plus it depends on the game.
    What I can say for sure is that Dark Souls 1 has a very fascinating, strange lore and storytelling with lots of mistery. You are thrown in a deadly world without knowing what you should do and must fight your way all around in order to be able to make everything that's happening make sense. :)

This is what I like.
    Of course there are other players just wanting to boast, to make super speed runs, to claim having been able to do this and grieving more simple players. But this happens in every gaming community. Even in Baldur's Gate (not here obviously, but just look how they flame on youtube...).

I hope I was able to give my point :)

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think I get your point, but it does seem to be for the challenge, the mechanics and atmosphere if I sum it up correctly.

Personally, I don't like this level of difficulty, especially coupled with the lack of save anywhere ability. The boss fights seem to be of the variety that you'd either need a guide or just bash your head against it until you can discern the pattern.

But hey, that's why I don't play BG with Tactics or anything like that. I find it interesting to read about others' experience with these type of games, though :)

Although on the other side, I tend not to play the newer 'cinematic' games either. If I want to be on rails, I'll just watch a film.

5. argento-dtw Gems: 2/31

There is also the middle ground.

Do you know a game called Dark Earth? I put it here because even if not purely Souls-Like, it's an adventure game (much more an adventure) with multiple weapon action fighting.

That has the action, is much easier and has beautiful storytelling.

For the time (1997), it was a jewel.
    It's in my "currently playing" list right now, I'm late game already :)
    I bought this game right when it came out.

6. henkie

Media:
    You bought it when it came out in 1997?
    Finally making headway into that list of unplayed games then? ;)

7. argento-dtw Gems: 2/31

This is a replay, obviously, lol :)

Anyhow I remember back then: my friends and me were like -> :confused: :O :O :O

S T U N N E D

by its beauty.

8. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I understand this is an old post but a couple of points I feel like I should raise...

The idea that Dark Souls games are absurdly hard is pretty much a myth that people who like to play them spread. The games are unforgiving, but fair. They punish a lack of paying attention, but literally every attack from every enemy in the game can be dodged if you time it right.

The game doesn't prevent you from saving anywhere. Quite the opposite - It saves automatically when you do... Well, anything really.Kill an enemy, pick up an item, spend currency, etc.

You don't need a guide for the bosses. In fact, guides are frowned upon in general in the Dark Souls community. The best way to play the game, by far, is to go in blind and work things out for yourself. The games aren't complicated, so guides aren't really necessary.

Dark Souls (and Demon Souls, and Bloodborne) have a lot going for them. The combat is fun and characters can be built in a bunch of different styles, and any of them are totally viable. People have finished the game without even using weapons and armour, going through every boss via dodging and punches. It's by no means this impossible task that people make it out to be.

For what it's worth, I actually think Bloodborne is probably the best Souls game. The setting is great and it's only really let down by being a PS4 exclusive.

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I wouldn't even call it unforgiving. The sequels handle it a bit differently, but in the original Dark Souls (and Demon Souls too if memory serves), you don't really lose anything when you die (except maybe some humanity) as long as you can run back to where you died. It can be brutal, sure, but as soon as you get used to the mechanics, it's actually super casual.

Also, I don't really think bosses are comparable with garbage like Tactics. You might die a couple times trying to figure the best way to take them on, but it's not like every boss is an unfair puzzle or a guessing game. Some are more challenging than others and a very small number are a bit gimmicky (I'm looking at you, Four Kings :nolike:), but all of them are quite easily manageable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.