1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerer's Shop - Beta!

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] SPS account holders have had access to the shop for a while now during the early beta stages, but I feel that the store is now ready for a more extensive "test drive". You can find it here:

http://www.sorcerers.net/shop (don't forget to bookmark!)

It's been a while since I had anything to do with the Amazon content currently on SP, and this is the reason. The plan, for a few years now, has been to gradually move all of the Amazon lists, links and other content to a proper store front. In the past, I've been listing all of the Amazon content on SP (books, movies, etc.) manually, but with somewhere around 1000 manually entered and maintained items, it's become simply too time consuming to update by hand, not to mention that a manually made selection is always only of interest to a small percentage of those looking to buy something.

The time has finally come to start the migration process to a proper store. Currently, what you see up is already fully functional (yep, you can browse and order anything!). None of the SP-specific content and/or lists have been transferred over yet, and in truth, I haven't quite decided yet how I'm going to do it. That is something that I'll tackle in the following weeks.

For now, however, you have nearly the entire catalogue of Amazon.com's items to choose from. If you can't find something right away, simply use the store's search feature. Currently, Sorcerer's Shop only offers items from Amazon.com, but the Canadian, UK and German Amazon integration will also be added in the future.

Of course, I welcome any questions, comments and suggestions!

Also, to celebrate the public beta of our shop, the first 5 customers to order more than $100 worth of items from the shop will receive a FREE 6-month SPS account subscription or extension. Simply contact us listing WHEN and WHICH items you bought and we'll handle the rest!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So no Sorcerer's Place boxer shorts at this shop?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Unfortunately not... they weren't big sellers for some utterly incomprehensible reason. We now have plenty of regular boxers for sale, however. ;)

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Thanks for getting this up and running Tal! I'm pretty new to the Forums, but i must say this is by far the best gaming site there is. Adding the store is just icing on the cake! Thanks again!:)

5. Taluntain

Media:
    You're welcome, I'm glad you're enjoying the site!

Since there don't seem to be any major issues with the store, I expect that it'll go out of beta in the near future without many changes. I'm still looking for feedback on it, however - the more I get, the better the store will be. So, any questions, suggestions, things you're looking for but can't find, etc. - do let me know!

(Btw, there's a big sale in the DVD/BD section at the moment!)

6. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Sorcerer's Shop is now out of the beta testing stage and is fully open for business!

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Does SP still receive the same percentage of the sales as when you used the amazon.com link before?

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Hmm, I found a watch I like* on the shop, but it is
    • not available on Amazon in Germany (Citizen has different product lines in the US/UK and Germany),
    • Amazon US/UK won't deliver it to Germany, which
    • means I won't be able to get it, which
    • is too bad.
    Except for that, the shop is pretty cool.

* which means it's cunning design meets all of my apparently impossible criteria: Analog display, easy to read i.e. frugal black no frills dial, luminous numbers, stainless steel case, sensible size and thickness. The so-called 'eco drive' is just a neat feature I didn't ask for. This one here has a superior dial design except for the markers, but the case and strap suck. Why can't they mate it with the case and markers of the watch above? :rolleyes: Well, because they're utter morons, obviously :) Now nobody here call me picky. I am just uncompromising in being principled in searching for a functional watch.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. Taluntain

Media:
    Rotku, yes, the percentage is the same... in some cases it's even higher, because using the general Amazon link doesn't give us the full percentage, but in the store SP always gets the normal instead of the reduced percentage.

Ragusa, yea, I've been eyeing that one myself as well... with any sort of electronics shipping is usually limited to every Amazon's home country for some reason, which can be annoying if the same item isn't available across all the Amazons. What works in cases like that is to ask a friend or a trustworthy BoM member in the US willing to do you a favour to send it over. ;)

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I own this watch that doesn't seem available any more.

This is a close but not as nice (IMO) version that has luminous hands (no idea why you'd want those unless they were mildly radioactive).

Swiss movement, sapphire crystal, all stainless steel, push-button clasp.

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

What's up with the United States flags?

Make me go seriously wtf.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    The store is linked to the US Amazon only at the moment. I'll make sure to add other appropriate flags as we progress further. :D

13. Ragusa

Media:
    BTA,
    nice, but I am very puristic as far as watches go. I like black dials with clear, luminous numbers for good readability. The one above is a good blend of commendable qualities in a watch ;)

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I ship to Germany! I'm sure I, as well as other SP members, would be glad to buy it here and then ship it to you. I can find out how much it will cost me to ship it to you. PM me if you're interested.

15. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Same here love

16. Ragusa

Media:
    Thanks a lot, I will keep the offers in mind :) It just happens that I have already conscripted a friendly hand in this matter. My watch is on its way.

17. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Well, that's cool. I just made my first purchase and all my Amazon nfo was already there in the SP store. It must link through the browser or something...but it was a snap.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    The SP store is in essence a local Amazon shopping cart... you make the purchase selection here, but once you've got everything in the cart and proceed to check-out, Amazon takes over (you continue on Amazon's site). If you don't have an Amazon account yet you open one at that point, but if you already have an account, you just proceed with the check-out. So SP never sees or stores any customers' private info - this all remains solely on Amazon's end, so it's completely safe and confidential.

Thanks for buying via our store!

19. Jazhara7 Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I *had* been wondering where I landed when Whitney Houston looked back at me after clicking that link. O.o

20. Taluntain

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.