1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sorcerer Spells

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Shrikant, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] Similar to the thread in the BG forums, I'd like to ask you what spells you would pick/recommend for a sorcerer. And in what order would you pick them.
    As a solo or as the main arcane caster in a party. If in a party, note which spells you would have other members cast.

To make things easier, here are a few significant levels and the number of spells of each level a sorcerer can cast:
    Lvl. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Shrikant - is this for a sorcerer going on to Heart of Fury mode or just staying in normal mode?

3. Shrikant

I think it would be damn hard for any charecter to reach those levels in the normal game. Jukka says its possible but most players probably wont get there.
    HoF mode is being considered here. Still, I would like to know what spells you would pick for a Normal game but not for an HoF one, and vice-versa.
    And for crazies like Kitrax, who start and solo in HoF, please state if you are starting in Normal or HoF.

4. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Well, the JUPP provides some good lists for Sorcerers. Your main sorcerer will probably have to waste some slots on spells like Sleep and A's Scorcher since you will need some help in the beginning. I would also give him some of the most important buffs such as Ghost Armor and Mass Haste. If you have a wizard in the party also, let him start taking the buff spells and have the sorcerer do what he does so well: rain death upon your enemies!

Important attack spells that I would consider musts are Skull Trap, Flame Arrow, Skull Trap, Delayed Blast Fireball, Skull Trap, Horrid Wilting, Skull Trap, and Wail of the Banshee. Oh, and did I mention Skull Trap?

If you go the decoy route, which I always do, Skull Trap is just about all you need once you find the Shroud of Bankao (sp?). The Shroud makes the wearer immune to Skull Trap. Put the Shroud on the decoy, have the decoy run into the middle of the enemy and then have every arcane caster in the party pelt him with Skull Traps. Great fun.

5. Shire Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

For solo, summon undead and 1 elemental summon is good to have. Other than that, concentrate on fire spells, take in wail of banshee, horrid wilting.

Shield, ghost armor and mirror image. That's the core of your defense. Then stone skin, improved invis and blink, and you are next to untouchable.

Mirror image + any area damage spell is good, just run around, let the enemy surrouind you and drop things at your feet.

Most boring will be the beginning. Take it slow. Magic missile the goblins, when you run out of casts, rest. Once you get mirror image and fireball, you are pretty much set.

Oh, Mordy's sword is a must. You need something to deal with iron golems, and I've yet to find any summon do anything to them. The sword, haste and maybe even tenser, you are a killing machine.

BTW what's this thing with skulltrap? I know it's uncapped, but it does slashing damage IIRC, never had too good luck with it. Fireball, then after that I get sunfire, then summon, then mordy sword and then I already got del blast fireball.

6. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Skulltrapp rules.

7. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Skulltrap does magic damage, just like Magic Missile, meaning very few monsters have immunity. It also seems to ignore magic resistance -- it is great for shredding Slayer Knights of Xvim. As noted, it is also uncapped, meaning it will keep getting better as you level up.

The biggest problem with Skulltrap is it has a very small blast radius and will not catch as many enemies as Sunfire or Horrid Wilting. Other than that, raptor is right: Skulltrap rules!

8. Shire Gems: 4/31

Well, I just tested it, lvl 17 sorc and it did around 70 SLASHING damage to barbarians after ice temple. That's the reason I've never really bothered, quite many monsters have some resistance to slashing.

Besides it's lvl 3 spell, that's buff lvl later on with magic circle against evil, ghost armor and blink.

9. Shrikant

People. Please.
    Give me your suggestions in the form of a list divided into spell levels.
    For example:

Level 1: Shield, Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Chromatic Orb, Shocking Grasp. (and 1 more)

Not only a listing of spells but also in order you would take them, so I know what you consider to be important early on and which spells you leave for later.

10. Shire Gems: 4/31

Are you playing solo? normal or hof?
    For solo (normal), I'd do this (I've finished 3 solo sorcs with about these spells each thime):
    Spells are in the order I would take them. I only list the ones I feel are important, after that take what you feel you like. I always end up with too many spells.

lvl 1: Magic Missile, Shield, Chromatic Orb, Burning Hands
    lvl 2: Mirror Image, Snilloc's Snowballswarm, Invisibility, Web, Knock
    lvl 3: Fireball, Ghost Armor, Magic Circle Against Evil, Blink
    lvl 4: Improved Invisibility, Stoneskin, Firewall, Emotion: Hope
    lvl 5: Animate Dead, Sunfire, Cloudkill
    lvl 6: Planar Binding xxx, Mass Haste, Acid Storm, Disintegrate
    lvl 7: Mordenkainen's Sword, Delayed Blast Fireball, Elemental Barrier
    lvl 8: Mind Blank, Horrid Wilting, Flaying
    lvl 9: Wail of Banshee, Meteor Swarm

Heavy buffs, heavy offense, some summons to distract (not to mention if you go solo, by the time you get animate dead...well, they own all. Plus they don't leave untill you rest or they are destroyed), AC easy to get over 35 with items and spells, add in improved inv. blink and mirror image..you are jsut about immortal. Only thing that can kill you then is blasphemy (unless you are of evil alignment) or high level chromatic orb, as they immobilize you and guarantee hits from monsters to you.

Start the game with 20 cha, add in every point during the game. Aasimar is a good racepick. During early game, you need to rest often to get your spells up, but around ice temple, you can beat about 1 map per rest, you have enough spells to deal with anything you come against.

Oh and I use some weimers, mostly it is the "always get some xp per kill" that counts here. My char has always hit lvl 30 at the beginning of the last chapter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.