1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some really strange bugs... please help

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DarthMuffin, Feb 11, 2004.

1. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I posted this on the BioWare boards, but I haven't got any replies... maybe you guys can help out.

Last summer (yes, I was extremely bored and I decided to go through BG again), I reinstalled Baldur's Gate : The Original Saga (I did recommanded install), and everything worked fine. I finished the game, exported in BG2 and all.

Last week, I decided to go through the game for an Xth time (you can never get sick of BG :) ). I swapped the 2nd (or 3rd? I don't remember) CD in my drive, and when I start a new game, it crashes and says :

An assertion failed in D:bad:BGSourceUpdate_TOTSC \dev\Baldur\CGameEffect.cpp at line number 1122

I'm not a computer freak, so I don't know what the heck that means.

My first reflex was to uninstall and then reinstall the game. Uninstalling worked fine.

I decided to do a full install this time. That way, if the game still didn't work, I might be able to use the BG1:tutu stuff. Unfortunatly, my cpu doesn't seem to be able to do the full install (cannot uncompress everything, the readme says it's normal on some systems). I aborded and started again.

When I reinstalled (recommended), it told me that the uninstal file was corrupted and I may not be able to uninstall the game again. Great. I proceeded with the installation, and when I try to start a new game, I still get the weird message (above). What is strange is that if I load up the only save game (the one that comes with TotSC by default), the game actually works.

Now, I'm just out of ideas. I'm stuck with something that doesn't work, and I can't uninstall it either (it says the file is corrupted).

I know it's not my cpu, since it worked fine last summer. I'm 99.9% sure it's not my CDs either, since they never leaved their cases since I was done with the game (and the cases weren't exposed to any kind of excessive temperature, if you must know).

Thanks to anybody who has read the post to the end, and I would be grateful for any help! (I can post my cpu's specs, though I don't think that would be useful for the reasons I told above). Thx again!

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Format C? :wave:

[Don't bother posting such stupid suggestios. Really.] -Tal

[ February 12, 2004, 13:36: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I hate to answer this because I'm not a computer geek...

You are using windows right?

It should be stored at: C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle

Go there and manually delete the Baldur's Gate folder.
    Sometimes when you uninstall stuff some garbage gets left behind and it prevents reinstalling.

Make sure there are no saved games or anything else you want to save in there first. But if your files where corupted then you probably shouldn't save any saved games or characters.

Again please note I'm not any kind of expert on this! :rolleyes:

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Have you tried patching?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

There is not too high chance for my suspicion, but let me tell it anyway:
    Bad(irrelevant) registry entries may also cause such problems. It happens sometimes that some bad entries remain there and only the user can remove them, manually.
    This can be very awful work if there are too many such entries, so you can use a Registry Cleaner program (Norton Systemworks contains such option in one of its sub-programs, cannot recall its name now). Their effectiveness is far from 100% though.

If you still encounter those problems after trying everything: Format C was a bit strong, but a Windows reinstall isn't. It will clean the registry.

In the worst case, even the hard drive's bad sectors may cause the problems. This can happen in case of old(er) PCs.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I had a problem like this with my Icewind Dale II. An issue occurred with installation that wasn't cleared with uninstallation. I did end up having to use a Registry Cleaner program that I got off the front of some PC magazine to clear up the corrupted items in my Registry. That was a very risky move, though, because I didn't really know what I was doing and I could have stuffed up my whole PC. But I just deleted everything from my Registry that seemed to relate to Black Isle, then re-installed and then it worked fine.

But don't go playing with your registry unless you have a good backup of your system and can restore easily.

8. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Run regedit (Windows Registry Editor) and there is a menupoint called Export Registry. You can make a backup of your registry file with that. Of course this doesn't mean that you can play with your registry now, because the system data aren't stored only in registry. Unless you know what you're doing, I don't advise manually editing/deleting in registry either (but feel free to make a backup of your registry using the method written above).

9. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31

Veteran

Thx for the replies guys.

I've checked Tal's links, and I'll try what they suggest there.

Again, thx to anyone who helped :)

10. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

What about those that took a look at this thread, did want to help but had no answer? :sosad: Oh I feel so useless :wail:

11. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31

Veteran

Alright then, thx to anyone who read the post :)

I deleted the files in cache/data, as interplay suggested it. Now, I have an all new (yipee!) assertion error when I try to start the game (I can't get to menu).

I would try to reinstall another time, but since I can't use the "uninstall" button, is it fine if I just delete the BG1 folder of Program Files?

12. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

EDIT: Aargh. I had posted what I thought was the solution to your problem, only to realize it was for BG2. :rolleyes:

Perhaps this will help instead?

[ February 13, 2004, 04:06: Message edited by: CamDawg ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.