1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some party to cure boredom.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by chevalier, Oct 26, 2003.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    As the topic says. I'm not like playing a game all over and over again, so I'd rather get something really unusual en masse. I was thinking about a wizard, a cleric and thief (perhaps also a druid) dualled from fighter, a paladin and maybe a ranger/cleric. This would mean lots of power after some initial difficulty with traps, item identification and healing. But well, I'm quite an able gamer and micromanagement is one of my hobbies ;)

Now, I've never had a bard in my party. And never had a druid in IWD1. I guess a bard would be OK with a six person party, and I'd either take a full six or just one paladin for solo gaming.

Another idea was two mages, after my nice game of IWD2 with two sorceresses.

Yet another was a non-evocational mage and a bard to cast evocation spells with some good levels according to thief XP progression :D ...or two bards.

Perhaps some multiclass non-humans to add some realism and not indulge in aforethough powergaming ;) Like fighter/mages, fighter/clerics etc. Just to make a more realistic party, without focus on power.

It's going to be a full run - IWD1, HoW, Luremaster.

2. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

On the subject of the Bard in-party, I thought they worked somewhat ok in IWD1 so if you think you need something extra like that, take one, the extra spells and the songs can help in some places.

3. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yep, it's fun to try something new. I too have never had bards or druids in my party. Wizards that don't have many offensive spells are quite weak, but at least it is refreshing and challenging.

I didn't enjoy at all soloing IWD. I think I will try two characters, female elven Mage/thief and male half-elven Ranger/cleric, in my next game.

Btw, it's good that someone posts in this forum and keeps it alive. :thumb:

4. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have a CN Drunken Bard, If you want to play online :)

5. chevalier

Media:
    LG Drunken Paladin ;)

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Druids kick some serious a** in IWD - I never leave home without one or two, myself.

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Get rid of the Paladin, and your eyes might be opened up to a whole freaking new world.

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I've said this before. Solo Fighter/Thief/Mage. It'll be hard in the first cave, but after that it should be pretty easy.

9. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

try soloing with a straight fighter on heart of fury mode. Most difficult thing I ever did, it also took the longest due to all the reloading. I absolutely HATE the paralysis spells.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Arahar, how true!

11. chevalier

Media:
    Tried soloing in HoF, but couldn't get past the goblins. Not even with AC0, thac0 12 and 70 HP.

12. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I finally got past the Goblins in HoF, with an elven fighter. I'm not too sure about the orc cave though :(

13. chevalier

Media:
    Wait, you killed the wolves?! How?!

14. Harkle Gems: 16/31

I too tried soloing HoF with straight elven fighter. In Easthaven I used bow all the time - thac0 10 is nice. Goblins aren't so hard - they have only 100 hit points and you get 2040 exp from them. Wolves are much harder (the one in scrimshander's shop took 4 critical and 6 normal hits to kill)

Update: those wolves outside orc cave were nasty - I took them one by one. My fighter did nice damage with her greatsword (mastery + str 18/92), although I had to heal her three times in temple.

[ November 02, 2003, 18:45: Message edited by: Harkle ]

15. Sorvo

Media:
    Just got done with the wolves, took about 27 reloads :( Sorvo enters the cave :)

16. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Bards get MUCH better with Heart Of Winter because they get all the new songs (in combat your bard doesn't need to do anything apart from play the Warchant of the Sith). Also, use your bard to talk to NPCs - you'll get lots of options that you never saw before, particularly in HoW.

17. chevalier

Media:
    Sorvo, care to share some more detail? And how it goes in the cave? I would really love to play solo in HoF but only if it's worth it. I'm not going to reload after every inch of land :o

18. Harkle Gems: 16/31

The cave is great pain when you encounter 10+ orcs at the same time. It's run-in-shoot-run-out-save. It would be MUCH easier to play with some multiclass fighter than just plain (thieves' hide in shadows is nice, and spells could also help)

19. Mister Rogue Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I'm amazed how many of you use bards and druids, I always get slaughtered as bards don't seem to have any particular strengths- poor spellcasting, poor AC and abysmal THAC0, As for druids, I have a hard enough time keeping clerics amply protected! :(

20. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Bards are the best for healing, especially in HOF or Hard level since the Sith song is the best. It makes clerics redundent. Druids and bards have great dialog options throughout the game too. I love them, and they are even better in IWD2...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.