1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soloing with?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by The Shadow, Jul 14, 2001.

1. The Shadow Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

After completing the game twice I now feel like going solo, I like the sound of doin it with a sorcerer but a kensai mage sounds tempting any alternatives or ideas?

2. Jander Sunstar Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well you might try an Inquisitor Paladin, you might need a good spell dispeller after all. And he can also use restoration scrolls, which a Kensai can't (they can't, right?).

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

You could try a monk - they're supposed to be very powerful.

I think a kensai-mage would be able to use scrolls, altough I may be wrong.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    There is one fit-all-solution: An x-cap removed halfelven fighter-mage-thief ...

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ragusa - that class without XpCap remover makes miracles.

Besides you don't get my :mad: on the boards when you refuse to use that remover. Ain't it great?

6. Solarus Gems: 1/31

F/MU/T is the BEST! I like elf over 1/2 elf though! You can do anything with them.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] What I wanted to say was: I like the mc fighter-thief & fighter-mage classes but I would hesitate to play a fighter-mage-thief due to the restricted level up due to the x-cap.
    If you are soloing anyway wou will loose ton's of xp you earned. Since the game *is not made* for soloing you can just as well use the x-cap remover. Anyway, I don't use it for I dislike it - but it is just a suggestion for people who would like to try it. Anyway the fmt is the perfect solo char.

:D So, to everyone who is interested: You are a cheater when playing a fmt with the x-cap remover :D Fear Extremists wrath! :D

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I prefer dc Berserker/Mage over dc Kensai/Mage for soloing although both are excellent choices.

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

10. Gonff Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It depends on how good you are. If your not that great definitly be a monk. If you rock do a kensai they are so hard to solo as.

11. nicholi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] when you say solo you mean play the game with out any party members correct? well if thats what you mean it would be impossiable to solo with out cheating

12. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

> nicholi: when you say solo you mean play
    > the game with out any party members
    > correct? well if thats what you mean it
    > would be impossiable to solo with out
    > cheating.

Wha?!? Dude - read the forum - folks solo the game (yes that means without pary members) all the time without cheating. My solo thief just finished up with nary a cheat. My solo sorcerer is tromping through the place on his way to set sail for Brynlaw - he hasn't cheated yet and won't either.

Soloing isn't that hard, you just have to use appropriate tactics for the class you are playing.

My thief made it through (rarely ever got hit) by hiding, backstabing, fleeing, hiding and repeating. For super tough areas (the beholder area in underdark for instance), some times you have to realize that you don't *have* to kill every monster in the Realms to win.

My solo sorcerer is having an even easier time that the thief did (though I *really* miss being able to deal with traps and being able to pickpocket) and he gets hit *much* more rarely.

Soloing ain't that tough. Just roll-play your character correctly and let him make the decisions (fight or flee, for example) that make sense for keeping him alive.

13. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Solo with a diviner or enchanter. As long as the mage can't get conjuration or invocation (though lack of both and necromancy would be preferable)

Or just be a dwarven assassin.

14. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If you wish your game to be hard
    You could solo with a bard.
    Fear not for those with lesser heart
    As a pure fighter can fit the part
    As long as well stocked with potions
    And ignorant to several lock-pick notions.
    Speaking of which there is the thief class
    Of which an assassin would admirably pass.
    Or what of the mage? He has his worth
    With spells the player dost garner mirth
    One word of advice I must tell
    Habitually expound the 'Death Spell'.
    For those that advocate classes multi or dual
    You play neither the brave nor the fool
    Although it is heartier to play single
    With the breast of difficulty does that mingle
    Thus with my closing breath
    Choose the Fighter/ Mage or else face Death

NP

15. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

LOL Parvini - good one! Are you sure you aren't a bard IRL? :)

16. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Habitually expound the Death Spell, yeah I can imagine... ;)

17. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I'm at a loss as to how the game would even be possible without a thief... how many containers/doors are inaccesable without pick locks/detect-remove traps? So I would recommend fighter/thief or mage/thief, depending on your playing style, or perhaps thief dualed over to fighter or mage.

18. Solarus Gems: 1/31

PARVINI!

What a great poem!

19. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

The game is quite possible without a thief. A bit annoying at times perhaps, but still possible ;) The cleric spell Find Traps help you find them, and you just have to avoid them. For those that can't be avoided then you better have a lot of HP or have a mage with Stoneskin or Mirror Image. Knock is great for forcing doors (and trapped doors that are knocked makes the trap ineffective) and you can always send a beefy fighter to force the lock. There won't be as much stealth going on, unless you have a Ranger (or a monk with stealh points), invis. potions, or some invis. spells. Still no big deal.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited July 19, 2001).]

20. Acemandoo Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I personally reckon you should give up on the idea of going solo, as you couldnt finish it with one person, as, no offence, you are not as good as me. OK i cant kill irenicus, but thats coz i dont have any mages, and you have a monk. How you gonna kill Irenicus with just a thief? "Ooooh, im a thief, your a level whatever mage, im gonna kill you. Oh, absolute immunity, im dead." Game Over

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.