1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soloing (Inventory Space)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Abyssal Knight, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I was thinking about soloing and all of the hard things about it when i came to the topic of inventory space. How the heck do you soloers find any space for items? If you dont pick up a lot of items, how do you sell stuff to get money?

2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

But when you're soloing you don't need that much money anyway.

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG]
    Get the Bag of Holding, i'm not telling where it is but it can keep around 50 or so items in it. ANY items.

Other than that, try to store your stuff in your Stronghold! Why do you think you have one?! MY thief guild is literally cluttered with adventuring goodies.:p

4. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Use scroll cases and gem bags.

Have your familiar pickpocket you, he'll store the stuff. untested by me.

Use barrels or crates "on the streets" that you know won't be edited or changed later by the game. The room behind Bernard in the Copper Coronet serves this purpose well, as does the barrel near Cromwell's.

[This message has been edited by TheBlackRose (edited June 27, 2002).]

5. TBR, umm.. that second bag you listed.. is in ToB...

[edit]
    Heh, nice edit TBR ;)
    [/edit]

[This message has been edited by DeBhaal Stasion (edited June 27, 2002).]

6. The bag of holding is found at the place where you get the slayer transformation I think.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] In the beginning of the game you really need money and that's when lack of inventory space hurts the most. In Irenicus' Dungeon you just have to know which items are worth more and keep them.

At the time when you get the Bag of Holding (holds 100 items) you're already set financially, so what it does is allow you to get all the artifacts back to Athkatla. Not that you really need it. Typically my bag of holding gets filled with shiny looking things that I end up never using. :heh:

As was mentioned, a scroll case and a gem bag is very helpful. :)

8. DinoTiggy1 Guest

Leave them in somewhere where you'll remember you put them, and somewhere that you'll be comeing to frequently. I sometimes use the table beside the counter, in the Copper Coronet.

But if you leave stuff out in the open it will eventually disappear, and unless you cheat I don't thaink that there is any way to get it back

9. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Well, that's why I never soloed :rolleyes:
    I mean I wanted all the unique things I acquired through my adventuring life being stored in my stronghold (like the demon's hearts :evil:

However, until you find the Bag of Holding in Spellhold you have really big problems.

10. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Why would you need a lot of money in the beginning? Only thing you *have* to do is get that 15k for Bodhi or the shadow thieves. Equipment can be found on fallen enemies, so can scrolls and potions. I hardly ever buy anything, except some equipment and scrolls I've missed after I get out of underdark. And buy that time you have a bag of holding.

11. JTG Dragon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The only area where the lack of space truly hurts is Irenicus' Dungeon. As for the inventory problems later on they are easy to solve. You can fill half of your inventory with potions and such (include one gembag an a scroll case) and you're doing fine. Also you can leave next to worthless items like helmet out of your inventory. As you don't need much money since you only have one character you can equip him/her very quickly with the best equipment available. The rest is just extra.

12. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

When storing items in a container (barrel, chest, etc.), I try to use one that is close to the entrance/exit of a location.
    This way, you can go to the location and you don't have to walk far. You arrive, a quick walk to your stash, unload/load/change items, a quick walk back to the exit then you're on your way. I do this a lot - "Dragon, eh? I better go back and get all that anti-dragon equipment I've been hoarding."

A good location I've found for this is the tables outside the Copper Coronet. I have one table for magical goodies and one for misc junk. Bernard isn't too far way for selling any surplus.

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] You need lots of cash in the beginning because there are great items for sale.

A few examples:
    Girdle of Hill Giant Strength
    Bracers of Defense AC 3
    Robe of Vecna
    Sling of Everard +5
    scrolls of spells (for the spellbooks)

It's in the beginning - obviously - that you most need to get better equipment.

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited June 30, 2002).]

14. zaknafein Guest

Another item for that list would be the glasses of identify so you know what to keep.
    Also, potions are one of the greatest things when soloing, especially when you've got crap stats

15. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yep you need the money the most in the beginning, also your party is normally 6 times as large so you normally need 6 times as much cash.
    Most people who solo already know which items to keep, the don't need to identify the items.
    For a solo character potions are less of a problem, because you don't have to devide the ammount you find by six, or at least that's my experience.

If I were you I wouldn't worry to much about the money

16. There is a hack that will make all the bags and whatnot hold an infinite(or near infinite) amount of stuff, on Baldurdash, not sure if its on SP though.

It will not work if you have a bag of holding, gem bag, or a scroll case already in a saved game, so its best to use it from the begining.

17. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My eyes My eyes :(

When I solo I like to just keep what I think my char would keep, a thick oaf would keep maybe shiny things and big things, where as a wise and inteligent wizard may keep potions and scrols, a thief gems, a cleric well I dunno.

Just role play your char, obviously its suicide to solo on your first go so just remember to take the key items needed to complete the game ;)

18. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

As enemies are easier in the beginning, you don't need to buy all of those costly items. Do some quests first and buy them when you really need them, not just when you'd want them.

19. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Thanks for the answers. All very nice ideas.

20. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Try to get your stronghold early on (should be relativly easy if you are a fighter type) and you will have all of the storage space that you could ever want.

Your on your own for Irenicus's dungeon though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.