1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soloing a mage...

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Mar 10, 2004.

1. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think they wake up here as well, but you still get a couple of hits in on them before they've managed to wake up and close with you to attack.

2. cadderly Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

ah, thought sleep was ultimate for a second their, get a bunch of those hobs to stop shootin me in the back :(

3. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The monsters that sleep affects wont wake up before they are dead.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yep, once they are asleep, they stay asleep. I presume there is a duration on the spell so if you waited long enough they would wake up, but I've never had any problems killing them before that happens. They definitely do not wake up when you hit them.

As far as comments on Chromatic Orb and Magic Missile, yes, at higher levels they are going to be much more useful than sleep, as sleep doesn't affect higher level creatures and doesn't affect any level of undead. Plus, both Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb become more powerful as you advance in levels, while sleep does not. However, at the early point of the game a Chromatic Orb or Magic Missile is generally going to do about 5 hitpoints of damage, and only hit one enemy. Sleep will affect a group. For low level enemies, I'd rather put them all to sleep rather than hope my Chromatic Orb or Magic Missile kills one of them...

So early in the game, I'll stick with sleep - and that's what my previous post was talking about. At higher levels, I never memorize sleep.

5. cadderly Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] i dont know, i think a slumbering sarevok, and yes i realize he is too high of lvl to be effected by it, would look so adorable, like my gf on valentines day.............anyways

6. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

hmm, I pitty you Cadderly if your g/f looks like Sarevok :p

7. cadderly Gems: 5/31

well not to go off topic but.........the last 3 may have been good looking but they may as well have had the same mindset as sarevok, to try and kill me, especially when one almost runs my car down with a truck

back on topic tho, so which is it, do they wake up when attacked or not!

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I must quote myself: (how pretentious)

9. Drasskull Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! How are you supposed to kill Sarevok with a Solo Mage!? Sarevok is RESISTANCE to maigc, right??

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You shouldn't post the same comment in two topics, but he isn't immune to summoned monsters. :D

11. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Don't know about that but his resistance to magic is pretty awesome. :D

Try a few Magic Missiles.

12. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

While I can't say how the Sarevok battle is going to go I'm currently soloing a mage and I just took out the bandit camp without breaking a sweat. hehehe, the charm thing work really well. Had half the camp attacking eachother, so I just sat back and picked up the scalps. But so far, once I got past the first couple of assassins it hasn't been that bad.

13. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Soloing is the only way to go. Much more role playing is involved, right Duke? See my much earlier thread on soloing plus using no magic! If you think a solo mage is impossible I shudder to learn how you feel about my solo Fighter/Thief who is radically apposed to all magic!
    (ps) my solo mage also finished BG2 with some help from Elmonsters Journel and the staff of the Magi.

14. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

I have to agree with Drasskull on this one. When I fought Sarevok, he was totally immune to magic. Neither Wand of MM, Wand of Fire, or any other magic could stop him.. I've heard about people who said they just used all their wands of Monster Summoning, but the monsters that are summoned is mostly skeletons, and I don't think they have such a big chance against Sarevok, even if they are many. So i should ask you, Duke Eltan, how did you finish off Sarevok? It seems pretty incredible with a solo mage..

15. carpman Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I'll stand in for Duke till he returns! My memory is getting weaker with age (and pills) so don't jump me if I get something wrong. I seem to remember using a cloudkill and web onto the podium before the big guy says his speech then lots of monster summoning just to slow him up. I am sure magic missles worked on him near the end of the battle? I might have stabbed him with the dagger of venom (the most powerful weapon in my opinion) but I don"t think I got that close to him. I do remember all spells wear used up to kill him and I think Larchnors worked and stink cloud (with web) and skull trap?

16. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Sarevok isn't immune to magic in all versions of the game. I think the TotSC expansion removes his immunity. Its not possible that a solo mage can beat a magic immune Sarevok except by cheats. So unless those claiming to have beaten the game with a solo mage have cheated, then they are playing a version of the game in which Sarevok isn't immune to magic. There is no mystery.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I could be wrong here, but I thought Sarevok was immune to fire. Sone things like fireball or wand of fire won't hurt him. I'm pretty such things like Cloudkill, MM, etc work just fine.

18. cadderly Gems: 5/31

yes aldeth is right, and a mage happens to be able to use summons, which are not considered magic attacks, unless ive gone totally retarded lately, and he does have high resistance to magic but once in a while a hit will get in, and with a few area effect spells this battle can be taken down from impossible to tough.

19. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Summoning a screen full of monsters and then hiding your character in the fog of war is totally cheating. So is firing off a cloudkill and hiding in the fog of war, while the faulty AI keeps the enemy in the cloudkill taking damage. Any way you stack it up, beating Sarevok with a solo mage requires cheats. Ask yourself if you would behave the way the AI does...

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @Subra

How is hiding behind a wall of summoned creatures and casting non-fire based spells at Sarevok cheating? If you hide in the fog of war, that's cheating, but just because you've summoned in a legion of monsters to act as your defense doesn't mean you're cheating. It's a proven tactic, and well within the rules of the game.

You know what I hate? Those cheaters who solo with fighters and try to kill Sarevok using a SWORD. :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.