1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo Thief

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Aug 2, 2004.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Greetings!

I'm considering soloing a thief (either assasin or straight thief), and am curious as to what equipment would be the "best". The reason I am asking is because I do not with to do every single quest, I just want to do what is needed to beat the game and get good equipment. I'm most curious about SoA equipment, because I would like to get him good equipment as early as possible.

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Short Sword of Backstabbing, Cloak of Non-Detection, Ring of Regeneration, Boots of Speed or Stealth (or both, with the Item Upgrade Mod), Black Dragon Scale Armor. Hands down, the coolest armor in the game. Glasses of Identification. Various and Sundry Stuff of Protection.... You know, the usual.

Alternately, for the more traditional dagger, try the Stilletto of Demarchess. Also, I've heard good things about the Pixie Prick, though I've not tried it myself.

3. An-D Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

im soloing assassin now, lvl 37

just go traps and you will be fiiiiiine!

like for instance, its very easy to be cheesy with assassin.

one example, firkraag. i put like 12 traps around him and made him hostile. he's dead within 0.10 sec. ( this does not work with the improved dragon mods etc)

staff of the ram and upgrade it ( get the staff from seledrax in watchers keep lvl 4 , and ...one thing u get from gromnir in tob. put them together and u got a +6 weapon that causes more backstab dmg than any other thing ) other than that, i used pixie prick and ..cant remember. just use snares, and lure enemys into them. peace of cake

4. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Try the katanas. Celestial Fury is the best. The thiefs are weak, and they dont like if the target can hit back. If the backstab doesn't kill the opponent, it may stun it and this way you can flee to the safe shadow.
    You can also use the Staff of Magi, (with the HLA Use any Item) what makes you invisible. You can also get the Shadow Dragon Scale or what early... and the Shadow Legion Armour too...

Assassins can't be cheesy!!! They are not straight persons. They can do everything. Dirty tricks, deadly traps. An assassin just backstabs the enemy and hides again.

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Try the assassin/mage multiclass (you will have to change to assassin with SK)

Im playing one, its incredibly powerfull, atleast when you can run from your enemies and hide in the shadows. For realy tough enemies I just use timestop then assassination, kills anyone

anyway; Short sword of backstabbing shouldnt be used, there are alot better swords out there.

Question: where do you get the Celestial Fury?

6. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

In the Temple District in a building called "Guarded Compound" in the left side of the map.

You'll have a very tough fight to get it since you're a thief or the like.

Good Luck!

7. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Sir Ai Rayzor: I just sneak past them and plant trap in one of the room in the back, then lure each of them there, easy fight :)

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Apart from the armor, accessories etc, coming to your weapons, the best weapons in SoA depend on your choice.

Dagger - Firetooth (as good as a Bastard Sword's damage, but cannot be dual-weilded), Stiletto of Demarchess +2, Pixie Prick +3, Neb's Nasty Cutter (IF you're evil), Quietus +4...its the best dagger there is, if you have the Improved Upgrade mod.

Short Sword - Short Sword of Backstabbing +3, Cutthroat +4 (its pretty late, but once you get it, its the best for backstabbing), Short Sword of the Mask +4/+5 (if you have ToB installed...its the best there is).

Katana - Celestial Fury +3...'nuff said!

Long Swords - Not too good a category, but Flametongue +1 (hits as +4), Blackrazor +3, Equalizer +3, Angurvadal +4/+5 (ToB) are okay I guess.

Scimitars - Surprisingly good category to use. Belm +2 (as good as a +2 short-sword's damage, with a free attack!), Kachiko's Wakizashi +3(the one you get from Joluv which drains Wisdom), Spectral Brand +5 (ToB)

Take your pick! If you're going for the best backstabbing potential, I recommend using Scimitars or Katanas.

Enjoy.

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Belm +2 and Scarlet Scimitar (purchased from Joluv, but you need UAI) both add 1 attack, which is pretty critical for a thief... especially a solo.

Note: Scarlet Scimitar does not work for backstab, as it's not usable by a thief (but UAI makes it usable by you.) But it is +3.

10. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Thanks guys, where is Belm found, and where is the ring of air control found?

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Belm is in a tower in the Druid Grove map. No fight or trap, just go pick it up.
    Rings of Air Control are sold (yes you can buy more than one) in Adventurer's Mart.

12. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

For maximum backstab damage, go for Hindo's Doom +4 and Staff of the Ram +6 in ToB. Scarlet Ninja-To +3 is great for the extra attack after you get UAI. Use Shadow Dragon Scale in SoA and switch to White Dragon Scale in ToB. Boots of Speed are essential, as is the Cloak of Non-Detection. Even better than the cloak is the Harper's Pin, but you need to romance Jaheira to get it. The Harper's Pin works beautifully with a Wand of Lightning, hint hint. Don't forget a short bow: Tasheron's Short Bow +3 then Short Bow of Gesen.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.