1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo Multiplayer problem in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by The Magpie, Mar 7, 2013.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] O.K., so having re-installed BG a little while ago, I thought I'd try creating my own party. Normally, it's fairly trivial to start a "fake" multiplayer game in BG: just connect to one of your serial ports and you're set. But whichever COM port & bitrate I try, the "Create Game" button does nothing. Trying the TCP/IP option is even worse, as that just makes the game crash to desktop.

Does anyone in SP-land have any suggestions/workarounds? 'Cause I've got a bunch of characters with some pretty awesome stats (that took a while to roll) raring to go! :p

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  3. The Magpie

Sadly, not so far (at least for BG1). I already had GameSpy disabled, and the IPX wrapper did nada. I'll try again tomorrow, just in case PLBKAC. So for now, I'm still open to suggestions.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The answer to everything in life is on Google. It must be on there somewhere :-).

5. The Magpie

Well, I'll give that a go eventually, but I've come up with my own workaround for now: play Icewind Dale. :p

6. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Have you tried the following?

Start BG, skip movies and get to main menu. Then press Alt + Enter to enter windowed mode. Start multiplayer session (I always use the TCP/IP option). Follow options until game has started. Then press Alt + Enter again to enter full-screen mode again. Voila!

This is the method that has always worked for me, both on BG and BG2. This is also why I avoid the Widescreen Mod, as it disables windowed mode.

Bear in mind it can still take 15-20 seconds to load up the multiplayer session in windowed mode, so give it a few moments when trying.

The Magpie likes this.
  7. The Magpie

Thank you MrMermaid, that worked a charm. :thumb:

Have a :beer: on me!

8. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Glad to be of assistance!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.