1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo IWD II

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Llandon, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] I had such a great time soloing IWD with a F/M/T I am considering trying IWDII with a solo character the first time through...but I can't make up my mind. Do any of y'all have any thoughts, opinions, or comments?

2. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In my opinion the best race to go for would be Drow or tiefling. these in my opinion have the best advantages for solo players. After all when you are playing solo what does a minor set back in exp matter?

Sorcerer, Monk or Druid is the best option as the class cos they have the greatest versitility.

3. kunonere Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

You should try a Bard. I found bard's better than F/M/T's. They level up faster and can learn up to level 8 spells and have six bard songs with HoW installed. Also, with Elven chain in the severed hand, you have a great AC.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Soloing in IwD meant you missed out on quite a few things. A Paladin gives you a couple of new options. A Bard give you several new options. A druid comes in handy once. There's even one new option if you have a cleric in your party.

In IwD, contrary to my experience with Bg2, it mattered which party member did the talking. Bg2 will continue with the dialogue lines even if you don't have Valgar talk to Lavok, or your PC talk to the very first genie in Irenicus's dungeon.

You might want to think about playing through one time with a full cast, just to catch a whole bunch of the options. Or, run two games simultanously...

5. the_eleven Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree with ej. on this one. When it comes to playing a game such as IwD or BG, I like to use a five or six person party a few times before I solo. So I'll be using a full party on my first trip through IWD2, but I'll eventually solo with a Bard or a F/M/T. My advice, use a full party or at least five members the first time through, then go solo.

6. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yea....I played through IWD twice before I solo'ed. Once with a full party, once with a 4 member party. I guess I should go through at least once with a full party, but I'm still torn. IIRC in the original IWD there were only a few times when having a specific party member speak for the party mattered....and those times seemed to be in East Haven, in the beginning of the game. Is this going to be expanded in IWDII? Playing the first IWD solo seemed like such a more personal experience than it did with a full party....I JUST CAN"T MAKE UP MY MIND. I guess it's a good thing I still have 2 months to decide.

On an off topic note: The_Eleven: I just got 21 Dead CD's in the mail today! Dicks Picks 15,18,19,20,21,23,24...they ROCK!

7. the_eleven Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

never soloed IWD, but I played through with a four member crew as well as three person party. Playing with only three was tough. I'm tempted to solo IWD/HoW/TotLM, but I uninstalled 'em so not sure if that'll happen.

Off Topic: Damn Llandon, looks like you have a shit load of good music to listen to. For awhile I might add. I haven't purchased a Dick's Picks in several years. These days I download most of my Dead (and other bands) in the form of Shorten files (aka SHN files. they are compressed, but don't lose sound quality as music does with mp3's). You may already know what I'm talking about, but if you haven't and are interested, let me know. I'll email you with the details.
    Here's my email addy: mp_bauman@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by the_eleven (edited March 06, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.