1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo in BGI

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by krunchyfrogg, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Not really. Starting values for a dwarven thief with 17 DEX are 20/30/20/15, an elf with 19 DEX has 35/25/15/35, and a halfling with 19 DEX has 35/35/20/40. (A gnome with 18 DEX has 25/30/20/25.) The elf is just slightly worse (5%) than the dwarf in two skills, but in the other two the elf blows the dwarf away.

I think if you want a straight thief, I'd go with a halfling, no question (tons of racial bonuses AND 19 Dexterity). But if you're going with a F/T, max 17 Strength might not be such a good idea, when you could get exceptional strength with an elf or dwarf (or even a gnome).

That regeneration is hard to pass up, though. Especially considering that shadow armor and boots of stealth can boost your stealth skill by 50% when combined, and one should always quick-save before attempting to pick a pocket anyway.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Exactly; Locks/Traps are the workhorse thieving abilities (especially Lockpicking for me), and Stealth is easily compensated for by items. Pickpocketing is only occasionally useful, and can be helped by potions. Thus the package of high HPs (then regeneration) makes for a more durable solo character than the elf, and for something a bit different. I agree that elves, halflings et al are technically better all round thieves, but Dwarves have very good biases in their skill bonuses.

In summary, they're an effective, durable and often overlooked alternative to the more "obvious" choices for a thief character.

Of course, nothing will change my huge bias toward elvish FMTs, but it's nice to go for something completely different once in a while. Now, if only I could get the hang of Bards...

3. Felinoid

One thing I used to do a lot in PnP was a warrior (fighter/paladin/ranger) quickly dualled to a mage at Level 2 or 3. It keeps you safe in the beginning, but allows for the absolute power that mages get later on. The only real problem with it, aside from having to be human, is that period (~10,000 XP long) before you get your fighter abilities back.

Having a paladin you can dual into a mage requires supreme stats (12/*/9/9/13/17), and a ranger you can dual does too (13/13/14/9/14/*). Of course, I was never the leader of the party, so I could use Charisma as a dump stat. He may have been ugly, but he could kick some major ass. :evil:

4. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Higher than that, Felinoid; remember, you need a 15 in your first class' prime requisite, and a 17 in your 2nd class's.

5. Felinoid

:doh: I forgot. It would actually be 15/*/9/17/13/17 for a Paladin->Mage, and 15/15/14/17/15/* for a Ranger->Mage. :eek:

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

@Arianyr: How do you switch weapons in the inventory screen without the game unpausing?

7. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

You play in multiplayer, Klorox. It allows you to pause and still manipulate the inventory.

8. Klorox

I always have a problem with multiplayer. I can't connect to start a game, so I can't do that. It's unfortunate. :(

9. Arianyr Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@klorox: i dont; i always use a melee weapon, and i use my mage spells for ranged

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Felinoid: how do you duall a Ranger to Mage in BG1??? :confused: I thought it couldn't be done!

@Klorox: you don't need to "connect", just choose the "serial" option (I think it is called that way, I haven't done this for some years...)

11. Felinoid

BG1 imposes a lot more restrictions than are actually necessary. There's even mention in the PHB of dual-classing up to three times, provided that the four classes are all from different groups (warrior, wizard, priest, and rogue). In BG1, the only class that a ranger can dual to is cleric, but the actual rules behind the game are a LOT more lenient. My favorite character was a Beast-rider 2 / Mage x. I had a dire wolf I could ride, and a falcon for a familiar. Combined with dual-wielding and spells, he was a force to be reckoned with.

12. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Ok so you meant PnP. What a relief! I actually started to believe that I had missed this option in the game! ;)

It's a good thing that a good old RPG like ADD2 (or D&D) is still better and more flexible than a computer game!

13. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

Klorox, you can play in multiplayer alone. Set it to TCP/IP, create your own game, and turn off listening to Join requests. Create your protagonist and play it just like a normal game.

14. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

One weapon slot, not a problem. Buy a bunch of throwing axes. And let loose on your oppents when you can. When they get close change your throwing axe into a melee axe and three you have it. One slot converted into 2 types of weapons.

15. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

And isn't there a magic throwing axe in the game, as well, which returns? Or is that only in later games?

16. Felinoid

Yeah, there's a +2 in Chapter 6, but until then you had better have a high STR for carrying around all the regular throwing axes you need.

17. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

That is why I always go F/M/T with at least a 18/91+ Str. I always try to get 18/00 for the extra to hit, damage and weight allowance.

That is why I am so happy with my new character. When I have a chance to play after my daughter is asleep I know what I will be doing, hurling axes at my enemies. LOL.

18. Klorox

I've decided (after a long trial and error period) to stick with a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric.

He's got great saving throws, the ability to heal himself and wear heavy armor. And Dwarves kick arse!

Look out Faerun! Klorox Hillcleaver is comin'!

19. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

I just wish there was a way to create a Cleric/Mage/Thief for the BG series. Imagine how power this class combo would become? Last night when I was screwing around on BG1 I rolled up a really cool character to use. It is a gnome Cleric/Mage. His stats are really good, expect str and why would he even really need it with Minsc and Khalid as the front tanks.

Here are my stats for my gnome cleric/Illus.
    Str: 10
    Dex: 18
    Con: 16
    Int: 19
    Wis: 17
    Cha: 18

Now after BG1 here are my stats when I would convert him into BG2
    Str: 11
    Dex: 19
    Con: 17
    Int: 20
    Wis: 20
    Cha: 19

Talk about a powerful spell caster. Now equip him with the gaunlets of OP in BG1 or the Girdle of Hill Giant Str. in BG2 and he has outstanding stats.

20. Felinoid

I'd drop the CON a point; 16 is just as good as 17 for a non-warrior, and you can get the Manual of Bodily Health fairly early in BG1. Aside from that, it looks like you're gonna have one kick-a$$ character. :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.