1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

solo efforts?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by nunsbane, Jan 25, 2006.

1. nunsbane

nunsbane

I've beaten IWD2 (normal and HoF) with a solo aasimar sorcerer(29)/paladin(1). I would imagine beating the game with a solo wizard would also be possible. Has anyone beaten the game with a solo character other than a sorcerer or wizard? Is it possible?

2. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I once started playing HOF with a Dwarf Fighter 1/cleric X exported from a larger party that got through normal mode. It wasn't as hard as i thought since the cleric have good possibilities to summon and a lot of other good spell. I got bored of using the same tactics after the bridge fight and stopped playing.
    I think a Druid should be possible (but like with every solo-char in HOF quite boring). They have both good summons and good attack spells. I think any other class except sorc, wiz, cleric and druid requires much more work to pass HOF.

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Indeed, apure fighter or tank would not live much in HoF. But if he has Coward's Flight+5, which panicks and slows the victims without a save, he may hope to survive as that weapon is so cool! The monsters will be slowed and/or panicked upon each hit, so they will not be able to damage the fighter. The rest is pure and safe hack/slash mostly. Unfourtunately it can only be found in the late episodes of HoF.

Hmm there is one medallion which casts heal once per day, in prologue, in HoF. I guess this can be of use to a non-caster.

4. wanderon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I started a drow cleric 1/druid x to solo the normal game. I took the cleric level becuase druid summons after a certain level are all elementals and they do not get the Protection from Evil spell to keep the nasty critters from attacking her. I played her up to the entrance to the warrens before getting distracted when I bought Kotor2 in Dec 05.

5. nunsbane

nunsbane

I'm currently soloing with a drow monk 13+/20+/12/12/18/5. At the ice temple he is level 13. I am beginning to think this is a viable character to solo to the end with. He has an AC of 23, spell resistance of 49 (not sure why 49 and not 47 -- 11+lvl racial and 10+lvl diamond soul). Most skill points have been allocated to hide and move silently which comes in very handy. With improved evasion and spell resistance enemy mages are relative non-issues. Faerie fire, stunning attack, and wholeness of body are life savers. And 20 points damage reduction at level 20 if I can make it would make this character almost invulnerable to many enemies wielding normal weapons. But I'm beginning to regret not starting with a deep gnome...I may start over.

6. wanderon Gems: 4/31

I wouldn't think a solo monk or any sort of warrior without summoning ability would be able to stand up to the hordes.

Isn't level 13 sort of low for a solo at the Ice Temple?

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    A pure Druid worked for me. The elemental shapes do make it a bit easy though

8. nunsbane

nunsbane

wanderon, you may be right about any single warrior falling to the horde, but im gonna find out for sure. Is 13th level too low for a drow at the ice temple playing core rules? maybe I should check a comprehensive walkthrough and see if I'm missing experience opportunities.

9. Westhardus Gems: 4/31

@wanderon

It is not mandatory to kill all monsters, sometimes you can just hide in shadows and continue your way.

10. wanderon Gems: 4/31

Thats true about sneaking past many monsters as a solo and I had not factored in the -2 ECL for the Drow so perhaps 13 is not so low for a solo at the Ice temple after all...

@Brona Cahira Cailin - did you use a mod or something to get PfE for your druid - summoning elementals without it is pretty much suicidal and they apparently forgot to give the spell to druids. (I can't believe they did it on purpose)

EDit: For the record my drow solo was cleric 1/druid 9 with about 70K exp just before entering the goblin warrens (after taking out Trugnuk and clearing all but the back gate area outside)

[ February 08, 2006, 21:51: Message edited by: wanderon ]

11. Mudde Gems: 9/31

@nunsbane
    Your spell risistance of 49 can be explained by the fact that you found and used a potion before the ice temple. That potion is supposed to give you 2/- magic resistance but gives +2 SR. I usually use dalekeeper to change that but 2/- magic resistance is usually almost not noticable.

12. nunsbane

nunsbane

@Mudde
    Thanks for the estute observation, however, I sold that potion to Zach Boosenberry instead of using it.

13. Mudde Gems: 9/31

@nunsbane
    Sell something that makes you permanently better??? In a solo game with the class that neads money the least of all??? You must be crazy!!
    If your not wearing anything that boosts your spell resistance then I have no idea of what gives you the extra SR. I always had 2 SR too much before I found out the the potion was bugged.

14. nunsbane

nunsbane

While it is an untenable position to say that I'm not a little crazy, I will say this: I found that I need alot of gold while soloing with a monk for potions of various sorts. Even to the point of selling some of the better weapons for a quick fix for a tough battle - caravan bridge and entrance to the ice temple, for example, Sherincal is exceedingly difficult to smite.

Secondly, My monk was nearly at the 13th level when I sold the potion of magic resistance...I figured that with the SR gained from diamond soul added to the racial SR would be high enough to protect me from most spells anyway. With the SR of 47, as I figured it would be, even a 30th level character would have to roll a 17+ to successfully impose his/her spell onto me. And the SR will raise by 2 for every level hence. 2/- magic resistance was far less valuable than 2000 gp at the time.

BTW, I've started over with the DG Monk and am having an easier go of the game thus far with him as opposed to the drow.

15. Mudde Gems: 9/31

The DG monk is really fu in some battles. I loved the battle where you must save the villagers near turoks camp. A whole bunch of orcs attacs a single little gnome and after a while they start running in fear since they can't hit. Fun to see.

16. nunsbane

nunsbane

I agree, that was very satisfying. Even more so considering how large a group of orcs there were since my monk's level is so high for the quest.

Speaking of large numbers of enemies, when I soloed a aasimar sorcerer there were four veerbeegs near the cabin just north of where you enter the "wererat area" north of the imprisoned villagers. I've never seen that many there, even with a hacked party.

17. wanderon Gems: 4/31

Indeed I have never seen more than 2 myself but I did notice that it seemed more likely to find something worthwhile there when 2 appeared.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.