1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SoA + ToB /w Ascension Solo!!! Whaa...???

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Alex, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Ok I'm going to give this a shot... why? Cuase I'm completely insane of course!

Anyway here's the character I've drawn up...

Elena
    Female Elven F/M/T
    Str: 18/87
    Dex:19
    Con:10
    Int:18
    Wis:10
    Cha:12
    (Third roll too! :))

*** Long Sword
    ** One Handed Weapon Style

High level combat strategy: Absolute Immunity + Tenser's Transformation + Black Blade of Disaster + Assassination or Greater Whirlwind :)
    ...with the Staff of the Magi in second weapon slot for maximun cheese factor. :p

Note: I'm also running all the Improved/Tougher patches (SoA ones too), and improved AI ones too. (Dragons, Liches, and Mages mostly)

Is this even possible or am I out of my frikin mind? Comments/Flames welcome.

(...and before you post Padine, I won't use a Cavalier... they'd be horrible solo. :))

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'd roll again if I were you. ;) Or at least redistribute your points. You will want a 17 con. Your Cha can be held very low, since you will have all that money to spend on a single character. Believe me coin is no problem.

Also, I'd say go for dualwield. Much more powerfull, and better looking ;)

[Edit: Actually Soloing a Cavalier shouldn't be that hard. You can take care of stoneskin by hitting a lot, and a Paladin has pretty good saves. There are also several good swords that add MR. (Not just Carsomyr) And of course you'll have lots of pots since you're alone. And you get wands for pretty much anything. (A Paladin can use wands no?) Dammit, this makes me want to try it out :p ]

Iirc, you can't get Blackbalde of Disaster because it's a 9th level spell. Which you can't get with a tripleclass, because of the expcap. Even removing it won't allow you 9th level spells.

It's very well possible. Quite easy too.

[This message has been edited by Faragon (edited June 05, 2002).]

3. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

I patched the inability to use 9th level spells and I have removed the XP cap of course! Also included the Grandmastery fix so it's worth using, which may be more of a curse than a benefit, as Grandmastery will reduce my weapon versitility.

Quite easy? Ascension was INSANE even with a full group!

And with the improved AI patches? Sure liches/vampires and mages won't be much more difficult... however I can't just set up hoards of traps around the dragons anymore!!1 Whatever shall I do?!!!! :)

Oh, and the Single Weapon Style was chosen as I plan to have the Staff of the Magi in the second weapon slot, and I'd rather not have to go to inventory and remove the second weapon everytime I want to use it. :)

Yes, since I can get various Girdles of Gaint Strength relatively early the high str is going, going, gone. Con is maxed, Chr reduced with spare points going to Wis.

Cavaliers good solo? They can't detect traps or open locks!!!

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited June 05, 2002).]

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Tenser's transformation for a mc fighter-mage or fighter-mage-thief ... :lol: :p ... not very smart :nono: Read the spell description: The THACO equal a fighter of mage level then ... so when you have a lvl-9/10 f-m the THACO bonus you'll receive will be neglectable. the 2 on THACO and damage are also neglectable. Since a fighter gains a hitpoint dice of d10 anyway, you'öll not really need the double hp (which is way more useful on a low-hp mage) :p That spellslot is better invested in mislead or protection from magical weapons ....

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] You had my interest until I realised you removed the xp cap. :( Removing the xp cap takes the clean challenge out of it all and I urge you to reinstate the xp cap.
    But go ahead and let us know how things work out! :)

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I could not say this and look like a very good gamer, but I'll just be honest and say I hadn't noticed you had Ascension installed. :p Still, I am very good :hahaerr: :grin:

But what is more important? Being able to knock down some foes, or open a trapped/locked chest for some goldpieces? :)
    Btw, iirc there is no chest or trap that prevents you from advancing in the game. As for unlocking chests, there is the rare occasion of bashing a lock as well.

7. Kull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What about the sorcerer with Robes of Vecna, the staff of the magi, and the big metal unit? Would this class more easily complete the game?

[This message has been edited by Kull (edited June 05, 2002).]

8. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Its not too hard. I'm not even sure F/M/T is the best option. See link here .

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited June 05, 2002).]

9. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Apparantly Earl Grey missed the ASCENSION notice, which therefore means the game is almost impossible with a full group. :)

...and yes, Tenser's Transformation is bad, I just re-read the spell discription. :(

Anyway, I'm in act 2 now, it took almost 3 days game time to get out of Irenicus' Dungeon. :( Having to rest nearly every third battle is getting rather annoying...

And I'm reconsidering F/M/T for perhaps just a F/T or Thief dualed to Fighter or Priest(now that might work...) or perhaps the usual Kensai -> Thief.

...or just removing all these improved AI and encounter patches + Ascension so my character won't suck so bad by comparison. :)

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited June 05, 2002).]

10. Kull Gems: 5/31

At high level, you can actually put Tenser's Transformation in a spell trigger. I agree that some spells (such as protection from magical weapons) are more useful, but when you come down to it - more HP is a cool deal for a front line fighter! And who knows, that additional 2 HP per strike might mean you kill the enemy rather than he kill you. (..arrgh, stupid system where monsters that are almost dead fight as effectively as the uninjured)

11. Person_Persival Banned

Your roll was okay, but I would roll again as mentioned. I never settle unless I got 3x18s and 7-10more points

Its extremely rare to get 10 or even 9, but sometimes you can get 8, but its more common to get another 7...Just help'n ;)

As you for char, I would use a sheild instead of one handed style, I mean that is mostly for theives and nonsheild classes

12. Earl Grey

[​IMG] @Person_Persival
    What are you talking about?
    His roll sums up to 92 points. Very good IMO. You recommend rolling until you get "3x18's and 7-10 more points". What does that mean?
    Do you mean 3x18's and 3x7-10's? If so that adds up to 75-84 points.

Oh well, let's not get into a discussion about stats in this topic. I'm sure there is another topic for that. Just explain what you meant so the confusion is cleared up, thanks.

@Alex
    Staff of the Magi in the second weapon slot?

Con maxed? You mean to 16 I hope. Multiclass fighters get no more HP's for higher Con than this.

Traps/Locks. You don't have to open locks or find traps.
    Bash/knock/leave the locks.
    Avoid/protect against/deliberately set off traps.

If you're making the game more challenging then it's IMO counterproductive to make it easier by using the Grand Mastery tweak and immensely much easier by removing the xp cap.

You scrapped the Tenser's Transformation part of your strategy and I'd recommend skipping BBoD as well. There are several other 9th level spells that are better for your character. Time Stop for example. :)

Traps to kill dragons. :eek:
    No need to resort to that sort of tactics! :)

[This message has been edited by Earl Grey (edited June 06, 2002).]

13. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Long Sword ***? With a F/M/T? Why not 5 stars?
    By the way, i would not spend 18 at the str, because at the first shop (Adventure's Mart) you can buy a gridle which will set your str to 19... con is much important, especialy with 3 classes. And chr can be important in the begining of the game (collecting 20000 gold and buying things) except soloing...

14. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Why not 5 stars?? Cuase I'm not high enough level yet!!

...str/chr has been reduced for con/wis now

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited June 06, 2002).]

15. How is it you have ***in lonswords? iirc a triple class fighter could still only recive ** in anything.

16. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Ok, I understood! At level 68/75/57 you will surely have 10 stars everywhere... :)

17. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

I spent two points on the appropiate style when I started. :p

18. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Just a guess, but maybe using the GrandMastery tweak allows mc characters to go beyond Specialized(**)?

19. Kull Gems: 5/31

I am very interested in the outcome of anyone who goes through ascension solo (...I have a post on that topic). So, I am anxiously awaiting the results of your quest. I'm sure there will be challenges no matter what class or mods you use.

Besides, it seems to me that there are some people who would say charging hell naked with a bucket of water is easy...

I like the "not too hard" response better, which directly answers your question.

Well, may be some day I will get around to completing the game solo without reloading If I do that, then I can also say that the game is easy - but wouldn't because I don't want to insult those people who are learning.

20. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Yes Earl Grey, as it should be.

As far as I can remember in AD&D 2E that was allowable, if not let me know and I'll change that...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.