1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SoA/ToB on Windows 8

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by hangfire, Sep 21, 2013.

1. hangfire Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i have gone retro and installed my old dvd edition of the series of games
    i managed to get the original baldurs gate to run using tutu, however when i try to run the sequel it just asks for the cd's
    my version is on dvd and it fails to recognise this

does anybody have any idea as to how i can get it to run?

2. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

This may be a little late, but it sounds like your baldur.ini has some incorrect lines. I need a little more info, though. At what stage are you being asked for the CDs: during installation or play? Are you installing it into a folder external to Program Files?

3. hangfire Gems: 1/31

hi it is asking for it when i try to run the game

it is installed into the program files x86 black isles folder

sounds like you guys might have an idea.......

4. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

If it was during installation I'd have no idea, but this is promising. Easiest/best thing to do is un-install the game and re-install it in a folder external to Program Files. E.g., in "C:bad:Games\BGII - SoA".

See if it works then. If not, let me know.

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Make sure you did a complete installation.
    Open your baldur.ini with a text editor. Have a look what it says.
    Find this portion:
    [Alias]
    HD0:=D:bad:GAMES\Bioware\BGII - SoA\
    CD1:=D:bad:GAMES\Bioware\BGII - SoA\CD1\
    CD2:=D:bad:GAMES\Bioware\BGII - SoA\CD2\;D:bad:GAMES\Bioware\BGII - SoA\CD2\
    CD3:=D:bad:GAMES\Bioware\BGII - SoA\CD3\
    CD4:=D:bad:GAMES\Bioware\BGII - SoA\CD4\
    CD5:=D:bad:GAMES\Bioware\BGII - SoA\CD5\

It will be different for you since you have the DVD version, and you have a different install folder. But you need to make the game search for data in your installation, not the CD. Then you won't get any more CD requests. CD5 is Throne of Bhaal, by the way.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the 5CD composition on the DVD out of simplicity, so I'm guessing you'll find mention of all 5 CDs in your .ini
    If there's only a CD1, all the easier to correct, right?

6. hangfire Gems: 1/31

hi
    my ini file already looks very similar to the one that you are saying it needs to reflect
    here is that area of the ini file that you quoted (from the current directory)

HD0:=C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
    CD1:=C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
    CD2:=C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
    CD3:=C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
    CD4:=C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\English\;C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\
    CD5:=C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\

7. hangfire Gems: 1/31

well i installed soa/tob into the games folder and it runs now!!
    i patched to the most up to date patch

but it is pretty choppy

is there a setting i am missing????

8. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Running defrag worked wonders for me. Maybe your override folder is full of stuff, and needs biffing. There's plenty of causes

MrMermaid likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.