1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

So is Korgan, like a Duergar... or what?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mystra's Chosen, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

He's from the Underdark. And he's definitly not a Svirffy.

[ October 23, 2004, 14:01: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I didn't know he was from the underdark. I know he is evil but I thought that he was a surface dwarf(as much as one can be).

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

He's from the Underdark?

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well, that Viccy reckons he is. Summat about having close ties with his clan or some bollocks or other. From what I remember. Long time sicne I played this game properly to be truthful.

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

In Salvatore's novels, Bruenor's clan has run-ins with Drow, and his clan is a surface-dwarf clan.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    So?

This thread is about Korgan pal.

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

He does say something to Viconia of knowing about the Drow, which I think was something like:

"I left the Underdark behind a long time ago... Yer kind is good for only three things: hunting, owning and killing."

Still, he doesn't have any Duergar powers, and he sure as hell ain't no svirfneblin (deep gnome). His skin isn't the right colour, either - I think he's just a very aggressive, loudmouthed, dangerous mountain or hill dwarf who's bloody good with his axe.

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

It's also mentioned that the Bloodaxe Clan had some kind of connection with House De'Vir. Viccy said that clan was close to Menzoberazzan (sp?)

Viccy doesn't have any drow powers either, besides the dwindling magic resistance. Korgan might be in the same boat.

9. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'm pretty sure that Korgan is Duegar. He has all the hallmarks, and as you said, he has had a lot of connections with Viccy.

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Not to forget that Haer'Dalis doesn't have any Tiefling powers, except being über-cool and being able to have two * in short swords.

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I'm actually kinda surprised this hasn't come up much.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont think Korgan is duergar, even surface dwarves dig deep and live below ground. Seeing as the other duergar in the game are greyish one would think Korgan would be too if he was a duergar.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    He's definitely one mean SOB, but as far as I know, being duergar isn't a requirement of an evil dwarf. As joacqin points out, just because you're a surface dwarf does not mean that your clan may not have dug deep into the underground. I haven't thought of it until now, but if I had to guess, I'd say he is not a duergar.

14. Neimad Snave the Dark Bladed Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree though to be honest never gave it much thought i think he was a bully victim dwarf at school and now has to prove something! :D

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think he would have a greater effect on the surface if he was Duergar, and Imoen would probably comment, or the one in the Copper Coronet.

I think he is just another kind of dwarf, iirc, in IWD2 it says about Gold Dwarves living deeper undergroundd than shield dwarves but not as deep as Duergar, it may have been that they traded with Drow in the underdark or helped with a surface raid by removing guards or giving information.

But seeming that he doesn't like Drow that much it probably wasn't giving information by choice :p

16. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Korgan is not a duergar.

They are a specific subrace of dwarves, with specific physical characteristrics, and are descended from Clan Duergar.

Korgan is from Clan Bloodaxe; I believe these are a canon clan who live in the Underdark. They are not the same as duergar. Korgan doesn't even look like a duergar...

Mystra's Chosen: The svirfneblin are a gnomish subrace, not dwarven.

17. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Agreed. Korgan doesn't have any of the characteristics of duergar (magic resistance, intolerance to sunlight, skin color, etc). Plus, like that Underhill (?) duergar hiding out in the copper coronet, he'd be 1) in disguise and 2) scared s***less of surfacers discovering his true race and toasting him like Viconia on the stake. Finally, Korgan, like all other dwarves, talks like a Scottish pirate, whereas everyone knows that duergar talk like Yorkshiremen (thus further contributing to the misunderstandings between duergar and the surface races).

18. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Andyr...

I realize that Svirfneblin are deep-dwelling, tunnel-loving gnominsh mining folk. It was more of a joke.

Bion...

I believe you mean Unger Hilldark. Underhill is from Lord of the Rings.

19. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

MC: Ah, ok. :)

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Does Korgan speak of any kind of deity he pays tribute to? That might be a way of telling.

Geeze, all this talk is making me want to take Korgan along with me this time through the game. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.