1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Snoozing at inns...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by MrMermaid, Apr 5, 2013.

1. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

This is a bit of a general Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale question, but I'll stick it here as this forum is probably most frequented. A random thought that occurred to me: when you stay at an inn, do you always take the cheapest accommodation, or do you splash out when you have lots of money and take more expensive rooms? It just seems that there is no benefit of taking a royal room over the stable floor, as far as game mechanics go, and the (at least early) detriment of 16gp vs 1gp seems a no-brainer for powergamers. However lately I've been trying to ween myself off the powergaming attitude and into more of a roleplaying ethos, which I'm having fun with: part of my PC's personality involves enjoying the finer things in life, so I've started making the team drink plenty at the taverns and take the finest rooms to sleep in.

Thoughts on this?

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It was more meaningful during the initial release of BG1, when your healing spells were fewer and lower-end.

After that (EasyTutu), just pay down a single coin and let your healing spells, now more and higher-end, do their work.

3. MrMermaid

...which is exactly the game mechanic that is actually starting to annoy me slightly. I think there ought to be a mod that makes it more meaningful to sleep in the best rooms, e.g., a chance some spells aren't memorised when resting, that increases according to the level of poorness of rest - camping out giving the greatest chance of not memorising, and sleeping royally giving 100% certainty they are memorised.

Furthermore, I think I'd advocate a mod including general 'Morale' score for each NPC (similar to Reputation or Virtue), dependent on factors such as how well-rested you are, the PC's Charisma, the social cohesion of the group (increasable by, e.g., drinking), Reputation (or Virtue, if playing with that mod, which you really ought to be!) and the in-party interactions (e.g. Keldorn fighting with Viconia, etc.). If the NPC's Morale drops too low, the NPC will leave the group!

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Beren hit it on the head. With the into of mods and Tutu, spending more than a gold is pointless. In the vanilla BG1 release it is meaningful. I like to try play-throughs on a self-imposed Iron-Man typre run like the ToEE option. It makes every aspect of the game important and enjoyable, IMO.

MrMermaid, to create a mod of the type that you list would be a pretty big task. Granted I would love a mod like that, good luck tying all of that together.

5. MrMermaid

Unless you enjoy role-playing it well.
    I tried to do that for a while, but I'm still not a good enough player to ace every fight. Plus in BG1 there's every chance of a random stray crit ending your run-through! I do however generally adhere to the rule that unless the PC or romance dies, I will not reload.
    I guess it would probably involve a pretty serious overhaul of the Infinity Engine to bring to fruition. Not exactly something I'd be up to, but maybe one of those big fancy modders might feel inclined...? :)

Anyway, the question I was mainly asking was, do you guys properly role-play staying at an inn, or do you just slum it whenever possible?

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

In BG1, if it makes the difference between waking up with full HP or not, I'll stump up the cash. In BG2 the availability of regeneration items makes fancy rooms redundant, but since you normally have way, way more cash than you need I'll often pamper my party if they've had a long/tough day. But I've never bought drinks for the purpose of learning rumours, at least not since my first couple of run-throughs.

7. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yea I don't remember many helpful rumors. Would have been nice if they gave you quests in your book or something. That might be an effective mod. Have some obscure quests that many miss be put into the rumors and if you get that rumor have it update your quest book so you can do it. That would actually be very helpful especially for new players (or older players who thought they have done everything but actually missed a minor quest).

8. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have my party take the Nobles accomodation after particular heavy fights or long treks through the wilderness, when rest is really well deserved for them. Before boss fights I often have them sleep in a peasant room so as not to get them too 'softened' before the fight, hardening them as it were on a straw matress. With cushions as a reward after the boss is defeated.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.