1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Smaug vs. the Balrog of Moria

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Beren, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If they had a one on one showdown, who would win in your honest opinion?

I realize this is by its nature really speculative, but this is actually a pretty popular thread on Tolkien-specific forums, and its a question I've often pondered privately at times, so I may as well post it here as well.

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Balrog can't fly, so I'm with Smaug on this one.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually not sure. Smaug can fly and breathe fire, but the Balrog is immune to fire...I suppose if Smaug managed to get a good bite on the Barlrog, it would be game over. I guess Smagu would win.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think the balrog is a fallen semi-deity according to the Tolkien mythos, no? In that case, I would expect that it should win. It went toe-to-toe with Gandalf (who is a semi-deity as well, IIRC).

Haven't read the Silmarillion in ages, though, so my premise may be wrong, but I'm voting Balrog.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Isn't the One Ring only vulnerable to the fires of Mt. Doom (since it was created there) and dragon fire? The implication would be that dragon fire is no ordinary fire.

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As I recall, the wizards came from that same continent as the gods, but not much else is said about their origins. They're not ordinary humans, despite their appearance, but that doens't make them a semi-deity either. The elves came from that same continent too.

As for the Balrog, I don't think much is said about it's origins. It's been a while since I read the Silmarillion too (and I won't reread it soon either - it wasn't really a good read), but I think the Balrogs were somehow already there, laying in wait somewhere in the planet apparently. Pretty much the same for dragons, as I recall.

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

They are demi deities - they are all Maiar. Sauron, Gandalf, Saruman and all Balrogs are Maiar, although obviously not all are as powerful as each other.

I think dragons were made by Morgoth.

Still, dragons were mighty beings indeed - hard to say what the outcome would have been. But I'd probably go with the Balrog, since Smaug was felled by a single non magical arrow, whereas the Balrog took all of Gandalf's strength to defeat.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I definitely remember that Melkor created the dragons and I thought that the wizards and balrogs were lesser versions of the first spirits of the same type as Sauron.

According to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balrog) they are maiars. From that article: "In later writings they ceased to be creatures, but are instead Maiar, lesser Ainur like Gandalf or Sauron, spirits of fire whom Melkor had corrupted before the creation of the World.[3] They required power of the order of Gandalf's to destroy them,[20] and as Maiar, only their physical forms could be destroyed."

9. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

A better contest would perhaps be Ancalagon, the mightiest of all winged dragons, against Durin's Bane (Balrog of Moria). Even still, I think the Balrog would have the advantage.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So, from reading that wiki article, the question would be decided by whether or not the balrog in this contest is one of the earlier envisionments of balrogs, or one of the later ones.

11. dmc

Media:
    Well, I think you have to go with the later version, as that is the one that Tolkien published and therefore publicly approved. The others were, I guess, taken from his notes, etc., although I admit to having avoided everything published by his son like the Black Plague (unless the Silmarillion was published by his son, as I read that a couple of times, but never really got into it).

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My suggestion would be to read the Fall of Gondolin again. Unwinged Dragons and Balrogs fought at that battle.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The Silmarillion was mostly written by J.R.R. Tolkien, but he died before he completed it. The published version was finished by his son, but it's much more father than son.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

This is one of the geekiest of possible discussions.

Having got that out of the way, I'd have to Balrog, due to the semi-deity magical angle, whereas Smaug is not even one of the mightiest of dragons, and yes, was felled by one lamo arrow.

15. dmc

Media:
    Hey, if we really wanted to make this geeky, we'd be doing an analysis of the physics of the Balrog's flame ability as well as doing projectile analyses of the arrow that killed Smaug, a potential biological analysis of the hypothetical organ systems of a dragon that would allow a single arrow to essentially instantly fell such an enormous beast, etc.

We're not even close to maximum geekiness here and I resent your implication that we are. :p

Plus, Beren started it . . .

16. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    But were? Outside? Cage fight?

17. henkie

Media:
    I rest my case.

:p

18. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Huh? Pardon me, I have at least some life outside of fantasy fiction and games. :p

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It would be geekier if we added in someone from Star Wars (Darth Sidious) and someone from Star Trek (um, Q?) and then had to compare powers from across universes......

20. dmc

Media:
    Now look who wants to magnify the geekiness . . .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.