1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Smaller parties

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Cal Jones, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

I've just finished my second tour through IWD2 (funny that...when I first started playing IWD2 I wasn't all that keen - the rules and interface were strange after playing BG series and IWD 1 - yet as soon as I finished IWD2 I immediately started again. I guess it grows on you!)

Anyway, one thing that I found was with the 3rd ed rules, levelling is really fun, what with being able to pick feats and skills. The bummer is that you can only get up to level 16 with a party of six (at least, that's a far as I got in two games). Now in BG2 and IWD, I often go through with smaller parties and get to higher levels as a result, but of couse, there's the silly monster experience thing here where if you get too high level, you don't get experience for some critters.

So, is there any point (other than challenge) in trying to go through with, say, a party of 4, or even solo? And do I have to do this stupid level squatting thing?

2. Tioma Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You can try to play on HoF from a certain point to get more XP. There are cap extensions mods (at least, up to level 40) available here at Sorcerer's place. A solo character on HoF arrives quickly at level 20 but you should adapt your gamestyle in order to play efficiently at this difficulty setting.

Take care,
    Yigor

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

There's also a mod which keeps on halving the XP gain you get for fighting monsters every 2 levels instead of setting it 0 once you are 8 levels higher than the CR.

4. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

A party of 4 would let you reach higher lvl in normal mode (maybe 2 lvls higher than with a party of 6).
    The use of races with ECL-penalty lowers your party average lvl, which gets you more XP, so it's good to have one or two in your party that are of a ECL-penalty-race.
    A party of 4 won't be much weaker than a party of 6 (some say even stronger because of the slightly higher lvl they have but I disagree).
    Going solo is just for people that want a different (and more difficult) challenge. Some likes it but I think the party development is one of the more important things that makes IWD2 such a great game (and that too many other good games lack).

5. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Has anyone ever tried this (without squatting/muling)? I suspect you'd only be a fraction of a level higher than the party of 6.

6. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

Yes, that's what I wanted to know.
    I like having a party of 6 for the actual character variations, so just wanted to know if it was really worth it. I've done IWD with 4 and that worked well, but this is a rather different kettle of fish.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.