1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Small thing, but it was better in BG1!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Baronius, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

No discussion of game feeling or gameplay or story, no global things.
    Little ones. Little ones but good ones which changed, and not necessarily into good direction.

Two examples:
    1. Unique dialogs with Charmed creatures (many creatures will give some good info for example if you charm them)
    2. Flaming Sword effect
    In my opinion, the flaming sword effect of Bg1 is much better than BGII's glowing one. :flaming:

I suppose there are more examples...

2. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Bards using the Cleric's avatar instead of the thief's. Not nearly as cool.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The THAC0 tables and weapon proficency tables.
    The 'pairs' of NPCs that you had to have together.
    More explorable areas.

4. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Oh, give me BG1 avatars for items and characters. Area exploration that seemed to go on forever. And best of all: not actually needing a mage in the party.

5. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Minute restrictions, balance gameNPC-wise, story-wise.
    I've only played BG1 a few times, but enough to know these were lost in BG2(in the last two chapters, at least).

6. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Explosive arrows! What did they do to them? Is there any way to get them in BG2? I loved those...

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I believe arrows of detonation are in BG2, not sure where from but I have used them.

I actually miss al lthe different quests and stuff from BG1 - and the encounters with people from the sequal (in BG2 you meet old friends, I think they should join you again!)

8. Baronius

Arrows of Detonation were excellent in BG1 and there was a large quantity available, however, they were expensive compared to other items.
    I faintly remember some of those arrows in BGII, perhaps three or four (!) of them somewhere; I am not sure though.

9. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've never gotten Arrows of Detonation in BG2 and I desperately want them back as they were by far my favorite strategy in BG1. Can't say it surprises me they were taken out, they were a tad overpowered.

10. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Arrows of Detonation are in the BG2 files because I brought some with me (20 I think) from BG1. They worked great, but I don't recall getting any more... :confused:

11. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

AROW06 is the CLUAConsole cheat for the arrows of detonation, I haven't tested them yet though.

12. Baronius

Practically all BG1 items have remained in BGII database (There may be some exceptions though). Use ShadowKeeper if you want browse them.

13. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

There is a single arrow of detonation in Perth's home in Bynnlaw that I can remember off the top of my head... I think that's it though.

14. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, you´re more free to walk around and do meaningless exploration in BG1 and that is what I miss the most.

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Little things, it hardly makes a huge difference. BG2 is still a whole lot better then BG in so many ways imo and I can think of more things that were crap in BG but better in BG2.

16. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I wouldn't mind some middle ground. Both games ahve their perks. I relaly like being able to SEE the city a head of time so I dont' have to wander, but I wish they'd included a few more wilderness areas, those were quite entertaining at times.

All the cheesy little two minute plots were fun in BG one. The talking Chicken for example? It's the little stuff sometimes that cna make the game!

That said, fighting dragons is awesome.

17. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The novelty of fighting Dragons wore off for me when I was able to beat them as easily as the next Iron Golem. Also I don't remember BG1 having marked maps like BG2, but it's been such a loong time since Playing BG1 that I forgot nearly everything.

18. Thais Paradox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Its been a while since I've played BG1, but as I recall it *didn't* have marked maps. I remember entering a small rural town close to Candlekeep at night when it was raining and not being able to make out much, so I switched to map mode for a better picture (If you recall, the BG area map always showed the area as it would appear during daylight)and got confused about where I was to go due to lack of the blasted things.

19. Baronius

This is a good example of the difference between BG1 and BGII. You will love it or hate it. It gives you the experience of free exploring.

20. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

In BG, NPCs get irritated, if you click them enough many times... :p

And paperdolls for characters were much better in BG, as CamDawg said.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.