1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slowdown Fixes

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by dshadow, May 18, 2003.

1. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Okay, I know about the slowdown fixes that affect later parts of the game (dragon's eye, the goblin warrens) but I'm finding the game is moving at crawling pace right from the start. Even wandering around the Targos docks with a single character with no NPCs on screen the game is painfully slow - I click where I want to go and my character just stands there, a few seconds later he starts moving in a really jerky way that takes forever to move anywhere.

I played through the game before and never noticed any problems in this respect unless masses of enemies were on the screen at the same time but now it's happening all the time. Anyone know how to sort it out? I've tried lowering the colour depth, turning off the sound and everything else that might make a difference but it doesn't seem to help. Boosting the frame rate doesn't help either.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Drop down the path search nodes to say 32.000. That works fine for me on a Duron 750.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Did you also try with disabling hardware acceleration for the sound? Also background programs can be source of such stuff (especially key capture trojans), so my suggestion is that you try with disabling all background processes while playing the game.

Slowdown fixes are to be applied only in special case on some machines where the certain script command doesn't work properly (engine problem). Those can not change the general game slowdown.

4. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Sometimes are those slowdowns accompanied by "huge number of turns" - I have "pause" on turn end on. And I must unpause many-many times in such cases. I noticed it 5 or 6 times (not worth to deploy a patch). Some characters were "mostly" invisible - it seemed, they were rendered only in some frames. The sound was OK.

But this "huge number of turns" did catch me some more times. No video or sound problems, and turning pause on turn end helped -> the game went on smoothly (only the communication area was "crazy") - it stopped after some minutes, and I turned "pause on turn end" on.

I understand, that this topic is oriented on HW problem. But every diagnostics can help.

5. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Thanks for the tips. I disabled the background features and lowered the search nodes and everything nips along at a merry pace now. No sound alas, although once I figure out which one of my applications handles the sound I should be well away.

Thanks again!

6. Thandal N'Lyman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Had the exact problems for which Slowdown_Fix was written. Every one of the areas which might be affected... were.

The "overrides" did the trick.

Sys Specs: P4 @ 2GHz, 768MB RAM, NVidia GeForce2 APG w/64MB VRAM, SB Live!, 40GB ATA-100 EIDE (my "game disk", as opposed to my "main disk").

Thanks Again! (I've contributed via PayPal, and encourage everyone who uses this site to do the same.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.