1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slim Couldry and the Crime Wave

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Caradhras, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I really like that side quest, I like it so much that I spent one point on stealing with my Mage so I could open it up (you need either one rank in stealing or stealth for Slim Couldry to appear in the Denerim market -stealing is better since it opens up both pickpocket and burglar quests).

In any case I've tried some different lines and I really suggest giving some of the available options a try, it can be hilarious.

If you have Herbalism you can get Ser Nancine to undress for you. :p

You can embarrass Tilver in front of his guards with some sexual innuendo. :D

These quests are absolutely great compared to most side quests which are either fetch this and fetch that or kill so and so. The only drawback is that they let you wish for more quests like these. :)

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I found out after finishing the game that I completely missed the whole series because I never gave Stealing to my Warden. I had both Stealing and Hide maxed on Leliana, but apparently this doesn't count :rolleyes:

I wish there was at least some kind of warning that the guy even exists. There was no one by the name that I could interact with in Denerim Market.

3. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    He doesn't pop up in the Market unless your Warden has a point in either stealth or pickpocketing. That's probably why you didn't know he existed.

Cara - am going to have to ask you how you did spoiler #2 - I always just stealthed and never talked to him. #1 must be interesting if you have one of the 'body mods' :lol:

4. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I cheated and let Leliana pickpocket #2 :p. The guards move every once in a while, and you get a window of opportunity at some point.

I discovered this quest quite by accident. Inspired by Cara and co. I've been playing a rogue PC on-and-off and finally got him to Denerim at some point. Cauldry's quest is indeed very unique, and I agree that it's one of the best sidequests in the DA:O. The funny dialogue, great rewards and the the many ways you can finish each quest...

5. Caradhras

Media:
    Yes, it's pretty cool indeed Scythesong.

If you play a Rogue or a Commoner you'll probably run into Slim Couldry but if you don't you're not going to know he even exists.

@Ziad: the fact that he only spawns if you take a rank is not necessarily that bad actually and it makes a lot of sense when you get to talk to him as he's got this whole Robin Hood thing going on.

That's it, just talk to the guy, the option will pop up. I didn't talk to him before but I've been trying to do things differently and it's turned out pretty well.

I actually have a body mod so that was "interesting" and incredibly funny... :shake:

6. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Now I know where my first next skill point will go to.

Completely missed these quests.
    Probably never would have found them, since I don't remember ever giving my PC pickpocketing/stealing points, in any game... (and my only stealth rogue is still lightyears away from Denerim)

Thanks for the heads up, Cara! :)

7. Caradhras

Media:
    You're welcome Loreseeker, just make sure you put a point in Stealing so you can access both quest lines (pickpocket and burglar quests). ;)

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Stealing is very useful skill that most players over look. I used stealing with one of my rogue PC. He stole from everybody. It is a great way to get free loot.

One of my favorite things to do with a rogue is stealth, steal, and set traps all in one area.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had stealth and lockpicking, but no pickpocket, so it looks like I missed half the quests... I'll have to rectify that this go-through. :)

10. Caradhras

Media:
    Seems to me that a few of us have overlooked some of these quests. I'm glad I've posted this thread.

My first Rogues were all about killings and backstabs. The last Rogue I've created (but haven't played a lot with) is more focused on thieving and devious stuff. I'm thinking about avoiding investing in combat as much as possible so I'll have to resort to different tactics. It should be fun. :)

Might be a bit spoilerish but I've found it rather hard to accept these quests with a Human Noble... The game gives some specific dialogue options for a Human Noble confronting Slim Couldry.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Traps are AWESOME in DAO especially with stealth.

A rogue equipped with a good shield and good 1 handed weapon is decent up front but definitely not a tank.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.