1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slaying the Dreaded Demilich!!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zephyr Angel, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Youko Bazuttu Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i tired it by rushing and haste, if your characters are tough enough u can take him down, but make sure you leave a freedom scroll outside of his area or ull be screwed lol

it may be an unorthodox way of dealing with an opponent such as this but if it works... :rolleyes:

2. Daemonlaud Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Meh...taking him on straight of the first dungeon is of course hard.

So would be just going sicko and attacking all the town guards and cowleds. So would just turning hostile on your entire party...

My question is...why?

Of course you can make the game harder for yourself than it needs to be, that's all very fine and well. But it hardly needs discussion. This thread was started coz someone was having trouble and thought it really nigh impossible to kill him.

I'm just pointing out that ANY of the ideas I mentioned will work, and the cheesy ones will work even if you still have a very raw party.

The point becomes - if you take him on too low, then you have to resort to cheese to win.

In which case, why are you doing it?

For me it is most satisfying to come in and take him on as God intended: with uber weapons and overwhelming force. Sure you can take out the cowled wizards when you walk out of Jon's dungeon and blink in the sunlight with faketalk or cloudkills or whatever...but what are you trying to prove?

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Aldeth: He has this Demilich Howl attack...it works the same as Wail of the Banshee. It's necromantic and casting SI:Necromancy blocks it.

Its late I know, but I've been away from the boards a while it seems. :p

4. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Daemonlaud: don't you get more satisfaction out of beating an incredibly powerful enemy with a weaker party than a stronger party?

Is there more satisfaction in:

(A) Killing a demilich with a low level party who really have to struggle to get the better of him.

(B) Killing a demilich with a 20th level party armed with the best weapons in the game and knowing every cheesy way to bring him down.

I think most people would find more satisfaction with the first one. And satisfaction is what the game is all about.

5. The Abyss Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Be glad this demi lich isn't exactly similar to the PnP one. The PnP one can pronounce a powerful curse (which can include always being hit regardless of AC or never, ever gaining exp)do a death ray, store energy points from attacks, and can trap your soul, and doing so instantly rots your entire body, destorying it permanently. Plus, it can't be permanently killed unless you soak the fragments of the skull in holy water.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

He does not. He is simply flat-out immune to anything under +4 (with a 90% resistance to anything over) and totally immune to spells Level 1-9.

/me contemplates putting that into a mod :cool: .

7. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thanks Guys! Finally got him to bite the dust!

8. Youko Bazuttu Gems: 1/31

cant argue there, it makes victory all the sweeter, ahh yes

9. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

If you have two Rings of the Ram and a couple of Spell Immunity: Abjuration/Death Wards going, you can blast him out of existence pretty easily. The ram does about 15-20 damage to Kangaxx (as I recall), so with two of those and anything capable of acting as a +4 weapon, he drops pretty easily.

10. david w Gems: 19/31

Of course, you can only get two Rings of the Ram via cheating and if you're going to cheat you might as well just use CTRL Y and save yourself the hassle of actually killing him the proper way.

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Actually, if you pickpocket Tolgerias in the Government building, you get one. Then when you kill him in the Planar Sphere, you have another. No cheating, just lying and stealing. I've never used the console or the cheats to do anything except fix bugs (and that only in the last week or so).

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Dude, he's only got one Ring of the Ram. Pickpocketing and then looting the corpse is the same as if you did that with Kangaxx himself to get two rings of Gaxx. Can be done, but it's ultra cheese and/or pure cheating, depending on your view of things. It's not what the makers of the game intended, you can be sure of that.

13. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Okay, this is extremely off-topic, but...

I can rationalise it like this. You get a Ring Of The Ram if you bring Valygar's body to Tolgerias. IMO, this means he has more than one in his possession, or the Cowled Wizards are offering one, which he keeps on his person. After you nick his first one, and then hurry off to the Planar Sphere, he is using his own Ring Of The Ram (and anything else, depending on which mods you're using). Therefore, I don't see how you can view this as ultra-cheese; I hardly think the Cowled Wizards and Tolgerias would give away the ONLY Ring of the Ram they had in Athkatla, and if you were going into the Planar Sphere, wouldn't you take everything you had with you, just in case?

Just my $0.02

Someone in Dan Simpson's walkthrough mentioned something about getting THREE Rings of The Ram... that's something I can't really justify. I've never done the pickpocket thing with Kangaxx - that's just plain wrong, as the Ring Of Gaxx is meant to be unique. Okay, so it's a bit of an exploit, but no more so than Time Stop - Shape Change (which IMHO is just crazy and illogical when applied to anything larger than an Umber Hulk) - how the hell are you gonna reach Yaga-Shura's face with tentacles?

On-topic: can you brain-drain Kangaxx The Demi-Lich to death? I know it doesn't work for his Lich form, since he has to talk, but has anyone tried/done that?

14. gordo Gems: 1/31

IIRC, brain drain always hits everyone, and always kills everyone. Some npc's can't be killed because they have crucial dialogue, but brain drain will take them down. I have to assume this would work on Kangaxx. I never saw the point of using this tactic, though--why not just improve your character through the Shadow Keeper until he/she can take out anything in the game?

I like to go after Kangaxx as early as possible, because I like to have a lot of regeneration available (I'm not a big fan of resting). Sling of Everard can be purchased, and Melf's Minute Meteors also work. Summon creatures one at a time to distract him while taking him down with the sling and meteors.

If that's too hard, grab Keldorn and Valygar, do the Windspear Hills and Planar Sphere quests, and use Ring of Ram and Carsomyr along with Sling of Everard and Minute Meteors. BTW, Keldorn's saving throws are good enough that he's almost never imprisoned--if you're having trouble with it, cast Spell Immunity: Abjuration on him.

15. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@gordo

There's no save against Imprisonment; however, SI:Abj works.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I hardly think they would have several just lying around either!

17. david w Gems: 19/31

Getting two Rings of the Ram is cheating however you try justifying it. How many is Tolgerias carrying when you first meet him? One. Not two. One. This being because he only has one. The game file backs me up on this.

Claiming you can legitimately get two off him (one stolen, one looted from his corpse) is just really stretching things. You might as well use the same methods on Kangaxx and justify it with "well, he's a Demilich right so when I swiped his first Ring of Gaxx he just made another".

18. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Okay, I don't disagree with that assessment for Kangaxx - like I said, the Ring of Gaxx is unique and pickpocketing Kangaxx seems ludicrous.

I think this is just going to have to be one of those "agree to disagree" things; I think my rationale is justifiable, but it's only my opinion. I don't think there'd be many Rings Of The Ram in Athkatla, but if you were getting one as a reward, then surely they would have more than just that one.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Again, I must ask how many you think they actually have? The Ring of the Ram is a very rare item - it's not like a RoP. Do you think they have a table in the back of the Government Building that's filled with Rings of the Ram? That they have like 10 of them or something? Extremely difficult to believe. Like I said these rings are rare, and quite possibly unique. Any reasonable individual would assume that even if there are several of these types of rings in existence that Tolgeris only has one of them.

Plus, you only get a RotR as a reward if you give them back Valygar's body, in which case, you don't get to do the sphere, in which case you can't get a second one. The only way you can justify any of this is by using your pre-knowledge of having played the game before, which is cheesy.

20. david w Gems: 19/31

I think the only way this is ever going to be settled is if we step outside with boxing gloves on and go at each other. :eek:

Or alternatively just have a look at how many Rings of the Ram Tolgerias is carrying in the game files. If he's got two then clearly you're in the right. If he's only got one...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.