1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slaying the Dreaded Demilich!!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zephyr Angel, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, now I remember. The funny thing is, for all the times I played this game, I don't think I've ever had a character affected by it. Of course, the spell does allow a saving throw, and I usually don't fight the Demi-Lich until right before I go to Suldenessalar, so it makes sense that I'd make the save nearly every time.

Unfortunately, even though it says it's a +4 weapon against undead, it's coded as a +2 weapon, so you get the "weapon ineffective" message every time you hit him with it. Similarly, Sunray is only a level 7 spell, so it does nothing. I know I've tried to use the sword and the swords ability in the past to no avail.

I don't know if I have ever tried this tactic, but it shouldn't work. In order to interrupt the casting of a spell, HW would have to do damage, and since it's level 8, it shouldn't do any damage. I don't see why it would interrupt the spell if it didn't inflict damage.

This one does work. In fact, I've heard it mentioned from multiple sources that you can pickpocket the Ring of the Ram from him in the government district, and then get another one in the fight. I've never tried it, so I don't know for sure, but I've heard it mentioned often enough that it's probably true.

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Melf's Minute Meteors can harm him so 2-3 spellcasters with this spell could take him down right at the start of the game. Assuming they could escape his Imprisonment of course.

3. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Daystar is useless. Despite the description that it does +4 against evil creatures, I got the "My weapon has no effect!" message everytime. I got the message even against his lich form. I suspect the Daystar still hits as a +2 weapon, despite a +4 to THAC0 and damage.

Using the Prot. from Undead scroll is kinda cheesy but then again, isn't Kangaxx the Demi-Lich cheesy himself? Somehow I find casting Imprisonment on everybody a really cheesy tactic. Of course, we don't want to stoop to his level do we now? I recommend you use Spell Prot.: Abjuration and whack away. You could try the Prot. From Magic on Kangaxx tactic, but it's sort of borderline cheesy to me.

EDIT: Argh, stupid half-loading page! Seems like Aldeth already replied to the Daystar comment... ah well, just trying to be helpful.

4. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually i killed him with one hit from the IMoD from minsc. or was it two? cant remember, but the battle was over in one-two. I have a screenshot of it by the way if you dont belive me :rolleyes: it's a little strange, but i did it without cheating in any way!

I found it strange that a fiend that everyone seems to have massive amounts of problems with went down in just a few twacks though.. :confused:

5. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ All hail, Thor NukeaDoom, Mighty Slayer *with two whacks!!!* of Kangaxx, Bane of the Living!!!

Unbelievable!! Could you show us please?

6. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My paladin with the IMoD got a critical hit on the first hit, went straight through his PfMW, and killed him with the death effect. Awesome.

Critical hits ignore his protections IIRC, so this makes a certain HLA kickass for this fight.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Thor's tactic is possible, but certainly not a recommended tactic. It is true that the demi-lich can be detroyed by the IMoD if he fails his saving throw. However, his saving throws are very good, so chances are, this won't happen. I'd guess that this will work about 10% of the time.

8. Thor Gems: 10/31

I can post the screenshot as soon as i get my PC back online. If I'm lucky i will already today, but most likely not.. time will tell :)

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @Thor

I believe you - I certainly don't need a screen shot to convince me. What you describe is possible. I'm just telling others that if their stategy against the demi-lich involves getting the IMoD and whacking him a few times, don't be dissapointed if it doesn't work.

Like I said - it is both possible and plausible, it's just not probable.

10. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The IMoD can surely kill Kangaxx but it's a tactic that is not sure to work every single time.

I didn't know that Daystar wouldn't damage him. However, I'm not quite sure that the sunray won't. Is the Daystar's sunray ability treated as the same level 7 sunray spell?

11. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Yes, it is possible for the IMoD to instant-kill Kangaxx. It happened with my character once. That's once in 20+ times I've played BG2. Like the Fop said, it's possible but it happens too rarely to count on it. Kangaxx has very high saving throws.

IIRC, I've used the Sunray from the Daystar many times, but never has it caused damage to Kangaxx. Thus, the Daystar is useless in this encounter.

[IMoD: Improved Mace of Disruption]

[ June 05, 2004, 17:33: Message edited by: Rhythm ]

12. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31

Veteran

What's IMoD and PfMW?

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

IMoen Of Doom
    Power for Mangering Wilds :D

Have been wondering that myself. :p

14. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@ywpark89

IMoD - Improved Mace of Disruption
    PfMW - Protection from Magical Weapons

Anyone who feels like they want to put me to shame, correct me! :p

15. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

That's what I meant. However I'm not sure if he uses a PfMW or a Mantle or somesuch.

16. Daemonlaud Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

I don't think Kangaxx represents such a shocking difficulty.

He was never a problem for me, nor do I forsee him ever being against any but a party that has no business facing him in the first place.

Assuming you leave him to the closing portions of chapter 6, you will always have several viable strategies in any party for destroying him.

For myself, I just gave one person a scroll of magic protection, another a scroll of undead prot, had Viconia cast Shield of the Archons, I had Spelltrap + Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Imoen had SI:A too, Minsc was beserk...
    And then I used a mind control collar on him.

No, he is not immune to it - nothing is. He is rather amusing to control - a happy little floating skull of doom of your very own. He has only ONE spell he can cast repeatedly - Imprisonment.

You can then club the poor demilich to death at your leisure - Equaliser, Crom Feyr, couple of splash weapons, throw in Ring of the Ram...

A Freedom scroll returns anyone who managed to get themselves zapped anyway (and no, Freedom affects EVERYONE imprisoned at once, not one target. It doesn't have a target - you just fire it off in the vicinity of an imprisonment. Read the spell description).

The only reloads occur when your love interest somehow gets zapped and returned - they consider this a break-up (ungrateful wench).

17. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Of couse Kangaxx is easy if you're playing with characters who are pretty close to the maximum level in SOA and wielding every decent weapon in the game. But try taking him on with a party straight out of the first dungeon and without a single +4 weapon to hand and you might run into a few problems.

18. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Just use a protection from undead and a +4 weapon, and he's dead meat.

It's ironic how one of the toughest monsters in the game can be killed so easily :p

Don't use the protection scroll, and you're likely to find yourself trapped in a sphere, deep in the ground, though :p

19. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Taking on Kangaxx AFTER the Underdark is no fun at all. I always take on Kangaxx and the Twisted Rune before departing for Brynnlaw. With the right tactics and tools, they can be managed without too much trouble.

Tackling them with a high level party takes out much of the challenge and IMO the satisfaction of the victory.

20. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Not when you always become the first to be Imprisoned... :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.