1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Slaying the Dreaded Demilich!!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zephyr Angel, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I know this topic must have been on for hundreds of times.

But I have never had a problem defeating that snot but all of a sudden, he starts slaying me handily, so i need options. Please, this sux, alot!! :mad:

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Ultimate Cheese option: Have someone cast a scroll of protection of magic on a character. Then melee him to death.

Un-Cheese: Load up on +4 weaponry or better. Summon a couple of mordekennian swords. Mass haste evryone. When he turns to demi lich, try to kill him as fast as possible. Keep your mage alive, so they can cast freedom to bring back imprisoned characters.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually, since this is the SoA forum, you can't cast freedom (level 9 spell) unless you have the XP cap removed.

We probably need a bit more info. What kind of character are you playing? Who is in your party? What level are your character(s)? Do you have +4 weapons? Any mods installed (such as Tactics)?

4. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

A Paladin, Carsomyr +5 and Protection from Magic (as said above) gets the stake roasted.

One thing I hate about that Demi-Lich. He cast imprisonment on my Paladin when I was wearing Ring of Freedom (or other anti-hold items), and the death screen comes up. Problem is that I was still standing, hacking away with Carsomyr.

That annoyed me so... :mad:

5. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] I haven't played BG2 in a while and last time I missed the whole Kangaxx's quest, so I wonder:

Can you cast Protection Against Magic ON Kangaxx?

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Yep...you can...but why would you want to waste your scroll on that no good Morte-imitator? Use it on Aerie, give her the Sling of Everard +5, and watch Kangaxx get beaten to a pulp by a wimpy lil GIRL!!! Nyah nyah nyah nyah !! :D

Anyway, if you wanna smash him without being cheesy, cast Spell Immunity : Abjuration, Spell Immunity : NEcromancy...Kangaxx can't do squat.

Have any of your uber-mages cast Mordy Swords, Skeleton Warriors, a few Pierce SHIELDs (NOT PIERCE MAGIC), then any and all Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting you might be carrying around.

Barbecued Kangaxx...ewww! :D

In any party...Edwin+Nalia+PC as Sorcerer --> PWNAGE!!

7. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I dont think usingthe protection from magic sroll is cheese, you can only find 3 scrolls ( that I know of) of this in the game. Being such a rare scroll It is a sacrafice to use it.

8. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31

Well, I am using my Beserker lvl 18 with a Warblade +4 and Vorpal as back up.
    There's Minsc with the Wave and Dragon's Bane.
    Sir Anomen with the Crom Faeyr.

Then, there's Valygar, my no good Archer with the Mana Bow and Imoen with the Gesen Bow. Aerie is my main spells back up but mostly n the fight, she heals and summons... oh yeah, she has the Ring of Ram. And the Staff of Magi.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You can cast it from a scroll. IIRC, the deep gnomes in the underdark have 4 of them, so if you bought them all, you'd have 3 left after freeing the imprisoned mage.

The skeleton warriors, and Mord. Swords are a fine idea, but Pierce Shield, Pierce Magic, Abi Dalzim, or any other spell of level 9 or less won't touch him. He's immune to all spells level 9 or less, which means he is only affected by the spells you get with HLA's. Since he doesn't have ToB, he doesn't have HLA's, so he can't hurt him directly with magic.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aldeth: It looks like it's my turn for one of these:
    :doh:

Of course, if you have characters imprisoned more than 4 times, then you're out of scrolls, and then you're screwed.

@ Faraaz - how does SI: Necro help? (I'm not challenging you here - I'm just curious. I'll probably have to slap myself again when I get the answer.)

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Splunge - I'll have to slap myself too on the answer for SI: Necromancy. I can't think of any Necromancy spell that the demi-lich casts. I mean, being undead and all, you would THINK that he would cast necromantic spells, but I don't think he does.

12. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] It's all HERE. Everything.

13. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31

Well, its just that before I can do much, its either I get imprisoned or the most of my team gets it. Can't really hurt him enough though. so I was thinking, does the Vorpal's Ability to slay works on this creature?

14. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Destroy Undead kind of effect can work on him, but that's different from the Vorpal's death attack. Kangaax is immune to death attacks. :(

Casting Protection from Magic on Kangaax (if he doesn't happen to be able to resist or ignore it) is a better alternative than casting it on your party mates. No magical effect can go in or out of the ball. (New tactic... :) )

He uses demi-lich howl at the start of battle, which works like wail of the banshee.

15. Thunder Gems: 7/31

+4 weapons for everybody and protection from undead scrolls will get you an easy kill. Seeing that protection from undead lasts a long time you could also use this time to take on other undead, as found in the graveyard or certain liches. remember you can't activate dialogue with his demi-lich form if you have all characters protected like this.

16. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31

Turn-undead is a good option, although it's nigh useless against him if you're character isn't around level 40 or so. Pro-undead works wonders against him, as well as the Pro-Magic-on-Kangaxx trick. You can also use the Fake Talk tactic but only when he's in the Demilich form or else the game will screw up.

The only weapons I know that can damage him are Mace of Disruption, Crom Faeyr, the Carsomyr, Flail of the Ages(the acid, cold, and fire effect), and the Dragon's Breath and Wave halberds. Both are +4 weaponry and Dragon's Breath has an ability akin to the Flail.

Also, the spell Imprisonment can take him down. There is no question about that... except where you got the Imprisonment Spell... ;)

17. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31

Where the heck do I get a Pro from Magic?! :confused: ;)

18. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    There's only one or two in the entire game. I hoard 'em when I find 'em.

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Have always used prot:magic to kill him; makes the job ridicilously easy, and it's not even cheese (those scrolls have a specific use, don't they? ;) )

20. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31

There are only a few of them in the game. I know Ribald will sell one once in the game, around the time before your battle with Bodhi(for the Lanthorn, I think). That's the only one I found.

If you can't find one of those, just finish the Valygar/Planar Spere Quest and get the Ring of the Ram from Tolgerias(after killing him, of course). It works well against Kangaxx because it deals around 10-30 damage. Kangaxx only has 50HP; removing 20 of those could mean something, surely. Also, try to use Daystar against him. You can find Daystar at the crypt at the City Gates. You must battle a lich to get it. Its sunray ability and its +4 enchantment against undead makes it a potent weapon against Kangaxx and every other undead critter.

Some "useless" spells can really help. If Kangaxx casts spells too fast, try using Teleport Field so that he'll be interrupted. While Horrid Wilting doesn't work against him, it serves as a spell-cast-interruption.

As a final note, a berserker and the Slayer are immune to imprisonment. The Slayer also has 5 attacks per round, which can render Kangaxx virtually expendable. After all, enemies like Kangaxx and Firkraag are meant to be killed in Chapter 6, before which you surely have the Slayer ability. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.