1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sla saves...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Viper3220, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ok people something is seriously wrong here.... my Tiefling with 20 intelligence and 12 charisma uses his spell like ability... blindness (tieflings actually get darkness but that's beyond the point) so I use it on a goblin (bored) and it makes a fort save of 11... i look over and I see... "success" I go what in the name of... first of all usually spell like abilities go off of charisma so it should have atleast have been a 12... if it is a "wizard spell" it should go off of my intelligence making it a 16. Is there maybe a mod out there that fixes this problem?

2. wrgrey Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What's a "Sla save?" Anyway, I return to the question posed.

It seems as if you expect save DC to be equal to the controlling ability, but that's not the case. Two formulae for determining DC are presented in the 3E DMG (p.94). Spell save DC (also in class descriptions in the PHB) is 10 + spell level + ability modifer, while save DC for monsters is 10 + 1/2 HD + ability modifier. Since the MM tends to give DCs in ability descriptions, I expect the latter formula is suggested for use in designing creatures.

Darkness, according to the IWD2 manual, is Brd 2, Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 2, and Mask 2. So, if we treat your darkness as a spell, the save against it would be 10 + 2 + 1 = 13 if it's a bard or sorcerer spell, 10 + 2 + 3 = 15 if it's a wizard spell, 10 + 3 + ? if it's a cleric spell. 12 is too low, but 16 is too high. The 16 just gives a +3 modifier if this were controlled by intelligence.

Since 3E tieflings get darkness (which doesn't admit a save), they aren't given any save DC. I don't know exactly what IWD2 does, particularly since we don't have enough data here to determine the precise DC. It might be DC 10 + ability modifier, which would be a DC of 11 if charisma is used. If this is a first-level character, it wouldn't be inconsistent with 10 + 1/2 levels + Cha mod, either. The IWD2 manual isn't forthcoming about the details of save DC, so I don't know what the game does, but I'm not sure there's a problem.

3. Shire Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

About saving throws, I've been wondering how the Club of Disruption works. What is the DC for its effect on monsters? I'd like to know if it's worth pounding those elder earth elementals (or whateva they are called) with the club, since if the monster has to roll a 1 for the effect to work, then I might as well try something else. This bugged me when I did Battle Square the first time, I fought every single lvl of it (didn't know about the tweak pack), and I had serious troubles killing the earth elementals, just too much health they had :C

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The elementals have too good saves. I almost always clubbed them to death instead of them being disrupted. If you get a water elemental, time to save.
    The demons and undead all however seem to get disrupted quite often.

For the squares, Improved Invisibility and Stoneskin are always the way out.

5. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I believe the Lucerne Hammer, a halberd which I found in the Black Raven Monastery, is also disruptive to undead and outsiders. I remember it taking out the elementals outside the illithid citadel quite easily. In my last game, Kuldahar seemed easy because of that.

6. Shire Gems: 4/31

But does anyone really know the DC of the disruption effect? It was saved by CON, so succesfully disrupting an earth elemental must be a critical (such thing in saving throws? me not familiar with D&D rules other than the little from IWD 1&2)?

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I dont know the disruption DC, but whatever the earth elemental's save, there's always that 5% chance for him to roll a natural 1 and fail the save.
    So, yes, there are fumbles at saving throws.

If the DC is so low that you'd have to wait for a fumble to happen, you might as well take something else and destroy him normaly.

8. Shire Gems: 4/31

Yes, but during the time given in b square, killing the highest level earth elemental was extremely difficult with the char I had back then. I just couldn't dish out damage fast enough.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.