1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Skyrim quest mods available on Steam

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim' started by Nakia, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/ This is the link to The Engineering Guild Home Page. You must register on this page to download. The download links are on the left side of the page. This link is only for mods created by Giskard.

Telvanni Hall: A Dunmer Tale by Giskard (When you join the Hall you will hear my voice. :D)

Idemdall's Folly by NDCowdy 0 Player's of Baldurs Gate/SOA or TOB will recognize the origin of the sword you get in this quest. (I voice the evil nixie :) )

TEG Wizards of Winterhold by Giskard This expands the College quite a bit and players of Dragon Age will recognize the Dark Roads as originating from the Deep Roads. Credit is given by the Author.

The Greymoor Sagas by NDCowdy This allows you to become Commander of Fort Greymoor and upgrade it.

I also recommend this alternate start mod although it is subject to the dialogue bug introduced with patch 1.6. You will need to have sub-titles turned on. This mod is also on NEXUS.

Alternate Start - Live Another Life by Arthmoor You have quite a few choices of how you start the game.

If desired I can provide Steam links.

The following mods can be found on Steam Some may be on NEXUS

1) Both official HD texture packs
    2) Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One Adds lanterns on the main roads and in some of the villages and buildings scattered through out Skyrim. Please be sure to read the description before installing.
    3) Morrowind Armor for Skyrim (non-replacer) You can make bone armour. There is another version which makes changes to the smithing skill. I have not used that version.
    ) Weather Master You need to be a member of the College at Winterhold. The books can be found on the desk in the Araucanian.
    5) Divine Intervention This adds the spell Divine Intervention as well as scrolls. They can be purchased from the Court mages as well as the Alteration Mage at the College of Winterhold. This is a transport spell.
    6) TEG Civil War Restore This can be found also on Giskard's Home Page. It restores Whiterun to the condition it was in before the civil war battle. I believe you need to wait until after the battle to activate it. It is not a quest mod.

To be continued Steam workshop is being difficult.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not a good idea to use copyrighted items/features from other games in official mods (i.e. released on Steam). The Steam Workshop I believe states that you cannot, and if Valve finds out, they will have to remove the mod from Steam. This has already been done when a Steam Workshop user created a mace from Aion for DotA 2

So at a minimum, I wouldn't advertise these facts...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As I understand it Steam has okayed these mods as not using actual copyright material. I do not think you can copyright a talking sword idea or a bunch of underground roads. As I understand it you can copyright the name and the textures but not the concept. Bethesda tried to claim the word Scrolls as copyright material and failed.

The textures and models used in the mod are vanilla Skyrim. There is I believe a Morrowind mod that has a talking sword.

Steam has recently taken down mods for using material that belonged to others so they are on the watch.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't played Aion or DotA2, so I can't say for sure, but a mace taken from Aion is how different than a sword taken from Baldur's Gate 2?

According to the article above, Valve relies on the community not to allow copyrighted material through the Workshop, so if the community likes it, it gets through and Valve has to take action when the copyright holder complains.

5. Nakia

Media:
    I am not sure that I understand you, BTA, the sword was not copied from another game. The modder had played Baldurs Gate II and I believe the Morrowind Mod. As I said the concept of a talking sword is not unique. The dialogue for the sword is unique as far as I know. A spirit resides in the sword and you can move that spirit to other weapons if you wish. The texture and model of the sword is based on a sword from Skyrim.

Yes, the community does report mods and believe me if anyone questioned Giskards mods they would be reported. NDCowdy's mods might not be so readily questioned. Unless the owners of Baldurs Gate wish to contest the Intellectual Property aspect I do not think ND has broken any copyright laws. He could have made it it a mace or dagger or bow just as easily.

However if you feel the mods are inappropriate feel free to delete them. The mods are great fun and add a great deal to the game. Your call.

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I'm not saying anything definitive really; it was just a cautionary post because you drew attention to the fact that BG2 players would recognize the sword's origins and Dragon Age players would recognize the Deep Roads even going so far as to say the author gives credit for the idea.

I don't know if they are inappropriate, and I'm sure they are great fun, but when you drew parallels with ideas from other games, I thought it would be a good idea to point out that that may not be a good idea since Steam Workshop apparently has a plagiarism prohibition. And to be honest, I don't use the Workshop so I don't know the actual wording of the terms of use. Again, just a friendly warning, not an accusation or anything of the kind. Sorry if you thought I was trying to be discouraging or something.

Nakia likes this.
  7. Nakia

Media:
    Thanks, BTA, I mentioned the parallelism because the Authors mention it. I suspect they did that in order to forestall complaints from people. They are open about were their ideas or stimulus comes from. Other than that nothing has been ported from another game.

They hid nothing so I see no reason to hide anything.

By the way if you are replaying Skyrim try out that Alternate Start Mod it is on NEXUs and other than the dialogue bug is really good.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Should be safe as long as no actual assets from BG are used.
    And there are only a few assets in BG that can actually be used in Skyrim...and those are only sound-files.

The Vicconia mod fro Oblivion was the same. Beth was ok with it, as long as they did not use the sound-files of BG!

My be wrong though!

Steam is a beast in itself...and they walk the way of absurdum!

9. Nakia

Media:
    I guarantee you that no sound files from other games were used in the above mods. Either vanilla Skyrim sound files or unique recordings for the unique characters.

Steam has its good points and its bad points.

---------- Added 5 hours, 17 minutes and 18 seconds later... ----------

Update: Giskard has a new download site for his mods. It is on his Home Page. You need to register there in order to download any mods. You do not need to register on the forum only the Home page. The two are separate entities.

These include downloads for his Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout III and Fallout NV mods.

If you are interested I can supply the link to the Home page if that is permissible.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, I don't have Skyrim (or the others either :) ), but feel free to post a link to the downloads for those who are playing and may want to try them :)

Nakia likes this.
  11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am considering starting a new Skyrim toon and give Dawnguard a shot but now my eyes got turned towards mods. I am generally quite sceptical towards mods, never really seen one that actually worked properly. Nakia, you seem to be very knowledgeable about the world of mods could you make a list of good, stable, fun mods that add gameplay and won't make my computer explode? If you could I would be much obliged. :)

12. Nakia

Media:
    joacqin, I would love to do that but I actually use very few mods. Due to the bugs and limitations of Skyrim and the Creation Kit I cannot guarantee any quest mod or mod that uses Navmesh. Patch 1;6 fixed 95% of the navimesh problem but it still turns up. Also sometimes according to the experienced master modders the Creation reedits a mod without the modder knowing. Also Steam has been known to corrupt a file when it downloads it. I had that on NEXUS with Oblivion mods occasionally so I think it just those little electrons jumping off to go exploring themselves.

Check NEXUS for the Skyrim unofficial Patch I haven't used it since it was updated so read the description. You may need a patch for the patch.

The mods I listed in the OP should work fine with Dawnguard. A friend has done a lot to expand Sky Haven Temple and is working on an upgrade which he says will come soon.

The Alternate start is good except for the dialogue bug I mention. I have had no problems with it. None what so ever.

I'll make a list of the mods I use with comments.

Idemdall's Folly by NDCowdy is great fun if you can solve the puzzle a bit different from the usual quest mod. Telvanni Hall will give you a unique companion. The mod is fully voiced. Gamespot listed it as one of their top five mods Week Aug 8 I believe.

:lol: See what you started. I'll get back to you.

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do so!

14. Nakia

Media:
    I have added a few mods to the OP. Will continue to add.

There seem to be problems with Wizards of Winterhold mod since the 1;7 patch. Do not download it until I let you kinow the problem has been fixed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.