1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Skivvys

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by shadow lurker, May 29, 2007.

1. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

What is your definition of a skivvy? I thought a skivvy was thing with long sleeves and the long neck bit which you wear under a school shirt for winter. My friend, however, said that they're called turtlenecks and that skivvys are tight men's underwear. -_-
    What do you guys call it?

2. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

I always thought a skivvy was what you described it to be, not tight underwear *shudder*

3. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Yeah O.o''' we wondered if the 'tight underwear' was a Singlish term, but my friend said that people in America use it too... -_-''''

4. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I just thought it was an unbrella term for underwear in general.

Never heard of this long sleeved thing you mention.

5. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Hmm I think what Americans call 'turtlenecks' are what we call 'skivvys'. It seems to be the same thing..and I've never heard of skivvy being used in relation to underwear before. O.O'''''

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well in the UK skivvy is a slang term for slave / servant. :p

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's what I was thinking... "Just nip to the bar mate and get me a bag of salt and vinegar", "Yeah, do one! What do you think I am, your bloody skivvy? Get it yourself!"

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Skivvy means underwear of any kind for me.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah it means any kind of underwear to me too.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

For a second there I was thinking, "Well, that's just normal clothes." Then I remembered that that's civvies. :doh: Yeah, skivvies are underwear. From briefs all the way up to long underwear.

Incidentally, turtlenecks are sweaters. You wear them over your shirt. The things you're talking about are long underwear (though it's a rare person who actually wears the shirt part, most just wear the leg part).

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

...or they wear 'long johns' which are underwear articles akin to a thin-yet-warm, usually quilted one piece 'jumpsuit' worn underneath the clothes.

And I'd like to nitpick: I'm noticing a differing syntax going along with differing def'ns:

-skivvy (pl. skivvYS) referring to 'slave' or 'servant'

-skivvy (pl. skivvIES) referring to thermal underwear, or underwear in general

And on a different tangent; if you're wondering what a North American means when they say 'turtleneck sweater', think of 'polo neck'...

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Aussie for underwear?

@jaded empath: The plural is always -ies from a -y noun.

13. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@chev - we're talking slang here - grammar doesn't always rule like it should. :(

But yeah, I've always read American writers referring to "they stripped down to their skivvies before jumping in the creek..."

EDIT: as an afterthought, I'd like to needle you with the sentence:

"I want you to explain the whys and wherefores of this." :p

OED Def'n of Why (n.)

(I know, I know - the exception that proves the rule...why can't we just all speak Esperanto...or maybe machine language? Some language with some internal consistency to it! ;) )

[ May 29, 2007, 18:07: Message edited by: jaded empath ]

14. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Finally! I found the website for a school which listed the winter uniform (my stupid school website doesn't even *have* a uniform list :rolleyes: ).

http://www.carlingfor-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/public/index.html

@Duffin and Barmy Army
    Whoa, completely different again! Haha this thread is becoming quite educational.

@Felinoid
    Schools telling students to wear long underwear as part of their winter uniform... :shake:

15. Kiwi Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

If spelled "skivvies" stateside, it's any kind of (lower body) underclothes, but particularly boys' briefs/ boxers, and only rarely girls' panties. I've never heard of it including upper body underclothes.

16. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    What Barmy said.

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Better than telling them not to wear underwear. ;)

18. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31

Hmm I guess a lot of people do use the word skivvy for underwear. Thanks for helping me clarrify this guys! ^^

@Decados
    :lol: True that!

19. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, that depends entirely on whose doing the not wearing.

20. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I always thought of a Skivvies as an undershirt. Strange that everyone seems to think differantly :hmm:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.