1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Skipping Fallout 2

Discussion in 'Fallout Series' started by SlickRCBD, Oct 22, 2022.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Epic is giving away Fallout 3 this week. I picked up Fallout 1 a couple years ago and liked it, but never got around to purchasing the rest of the series. Would I be missing out on a lot if I went and played Fallout 3 without having played Fallout 2?

I hope to give Fallout 2 a try at some time in the future when I have some money to burn, but I've only had temp jobs since the pandemic and while my current job just got extended because they are preparing new laptops for some school districts in Florida that got hit by a hurricane (no joke), it's only until December. By Christmas I'll be looking for work so I'm spending like I'm already unemployed (more like NOT spending on anything not absolutely necessary).

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nearly a year late.... Fallout 2 is awesome but not required for Fallout 3 -- I don't even remember there being any references to Fallout 2 in either Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Slight spoiler ... I usually play a stealthy sniper in Fallout games but part way through FO2 I found I could pickpocket bozars (uses .223 versus 5 mm ammo) off some guards -- I restarted to develop a big gun vault dweller. A bozar can chunk every enemy in the game (don't get caught while pickpocketing to get them).

3. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Actually Epic gave away the Fallout trilogy a while ago.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I never was able to get into Tactics. Did you pick up New Vegas when it was free on Epic? It was awesome. I'm still working through other games before starting on FO4.

5. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I haven't gotten to it yet, but I have Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout Tactics, and Fallout New Vegas.
    I haven't tried Fallout 3, Tactics or Vegas yet as I'm working my way through other games. It's not like I have a summer vacation anymore where I can play games all summer. It's not like I get any vacation time. It's all "3 months temp, no benefits". Nobody ever calls me back when I apply for a full time permanent job and I can't figure out why, or if they do they say "You resume shows you haven't worked more than 6 months for any one employer in 3 years. We need somebody that shows more stability" even though they are all clearly marked as temp and my resume says in the objective "Looking for full-time PERMANENT employment. Trying not to be forced to take more temp jobs." But it seems the recruiters do a keyword search, see "temp" and say "AH, he WANTS Temp, it says 'temp' on the resume. ".

Sorry, irritated that I just got 6 calls in the last hour and a half from at least 4 different agencies for a job I didn't apply for. Four of those calls were within 15 minutes. A low-paying 3-month temp job 40 miles away for $18-20/hour, when minimum wage is $15 in Cook County IL. Oh, they want a B.S. degree in computers, masters preferred and minimum 2 years experience, 5 years preferred.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  6. T2Bruno

Media:
    I never liked using recruiters. I found all my jobs by applying directly to each company. As a manager, my best hires were individuals who contacted us directly and not through a recruiter's search of candidates in Linked In or Indeed. In my experience, most employers wanting a long term employee will not use outside recruiters unless absolutely necessary -- it's just too expensive (1/4 to 1/3 of the first year's salary).

Gook luck, IT is cutthroat and seems to be a lot of "who you know."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.