1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sirines

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Ironbeard, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I had to post, to vent my frustration. An entire party wiped out (almost) by three sirines. I charged them with my human pally, Ajantis, Jahiera and Khalid. My entire party with the exception of Safana and Jaheira were dire charmed. Khalid and Imoen were wounded and died of poisoning while charmed, Jahiera and Safana fled with Ajantis chasing after them. Safana was cut down by hobgoblins as she tried to run through them, Jaheira got further, but was surrounded by Worgs. Ajantis caught up and het her a few times, then recovered from being charmed in time to see the Worgs kill Jahiera. Then Ajantis was almost killed by a huge pack of worgs. A whole party reduced to two guys - one on about 1 HP. Beware Charm. Beware poison.

2. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Here are a few tips agenst Sirines youse ranged weapons,move slowly, and summon pets. the pets if you are carfull to lead with them are normaly and stupidly charmed. skelliton work well for this sence they will stay untill you make a successfull rest. The ranged weapons expecially bows as they have fast reloads allowing you more chances to disrupt their spells. Moving slowly will hopefully mean you only get one on the screen at a time. (hav mages cast Magic missile

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Taken out by charm and poison hmmmmm

Sounds like you should have had some dwarfs in the party Ironbeard ;)

4. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Last time I played a handful of skeletons and a thief for backstabbing was enough.

5. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Call lightning is also great against them.

6. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

send a cleric in under the spell sanctuary once they talk send the cleric back out, then or actually before the first step buy some arrows of detonation, you can guess the rest

7. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Thanks for the tips guys my usual tactic is to make the sirines use up their spells, run away from the charmed party members (or give them someone with a really low AC to hit), wait for the spell to wear off, then steamroller over them. I'll try them again at some point. (sort of) on the subject, thieves and poison are great. When I ran into the Red Wizards in the wood of sharp teeth, I had Imoen hidden just off to the side of the altar. When the combat started the one in front chewed up my party pretty badly (horror incapacitated them - including Jaheira, the only member with a remove fear spell), but with an oil of firey burning and a load of arrows of biting, Imoen was able to kill the other three. Then my party recovered from the horror spell and wreaked sweet revenge.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

You can use Monster summoning so they charm monsters and not you and also Fireball works great. Charm people who are charmed bye the sirines.

9. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

The staffs of fire can help clean house as can the necklace or missiles.

10. Luan Guest

[​IMG] If you know where they are, they aren't in my experience hard to dispose of. They don't appear to be particularly tough opponents bar the fact the charm your characters and attack that way - as charmed characters can only attack those close by, an easy way to deal with them would be just to send in one character. If (s)he is good enough to get to the location of course in some way (and back), if other monsters are around they need to be able to kill them - but when charmed they are safe. It's a little time consuming though.

11. [sOv]Storm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] just use a cleric, they can use the level 1 spell sanctuary, what it does is it haves creatures treat you as if you were invisible, so that all you have to do is have a cleric with all spell slots set to sanctuary, then you can use one to enter, one well inside, and one on the way out simple, another way is to use the level one cleric spell command word die, this puts the affected creature to sleap for i think 3 rounds, so if you go slow caste command word die then use range weapons to kill the sirine at range :)

12. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

True sirens aren't very tough just make shure that the charictor you snd in has a low AC and has various things to make them even harder to hit with arrows like boot of avoidence, belt of pircing and the large shiled +1,+4vs. missiles

[This message has been edited by kemanmaldea (edited July 16, 2001).]

13. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Btw, how do saving throws actually work? Do you have to roll above or below to save?

14. Silvershade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You have to roll above them. So the lower the better.

15. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

What can I say about 2E beside that the way the numbers work is a little confusing.

16. garathorn Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

it takes a long time but i only send one guy in to do the work with a helm of charm protection and if he gets charmed just wait for it to ware off then when it dose he will just start chargeing again

17. Fljotsdale Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] One of the best spells to use against sirines - and ALL magic users - is the simple little 'magic missile' The casting time is short and as it hits the sirine it disrupts her spell-casting. Have your Mage/s keep throwing magic missiles (always have as many as you can memorised) while your fighters attack with melee and ranged weapons. As already mentioned, summoned creatures are also pretty useful! :)

18. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31

All to true for a (suposidly) wimpy first level spell you get a lot of use out of Magic Missal. Normaly I have most of the slots on my mages filled with MM with one or two identifys as I dont normaly have a bard with me.

19. DarkCroll Banned

i summoned some monsters (24) and just killed them with my guys and didnt even get hurt

20. 24 summoned monsters would do the trick I suspect. Actually, get them in sight then get out so they waste all their spells and then attack them... *caution* no matter how sexy they look, do *not* kiss them ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.