1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

single class kensai

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tarron, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Tarron Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've tried dualed to a mage and dualed to a theif, both very good, but whats a single class kensai like at the higher levels?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Absolutely deadly. I had one in a full tank-heavy party, and he did most of the killing. (This was an SOA-only game, though, so I'm not sure how he'd be in TOB. I suspect even better, though.)

3. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It's a struggle at first, but after abou lvl. 10, and with some items, they are killing machines. Especially if you do a dual wielding character. I had one wielding scimitars and katanas and he was unstoppable, especially in the drow city in TOB, with the prisoners.

4. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Single-class Kensai has been my favorite ever since I looked at the character generation screen for the first time, and said "Oh cool!". At the higher levels, a Kensai deals out so much damage so fast that the armor restriction isn't much of a problem. I differ a little from Benan, though, in that I don't think they struggle at the beginning, and in fact they're probably the most useful charname you can have right at the start. Simply because they will, unlike Jaheira or even Minsc, spend very little time waving their weapons uselessly at enemies and more time hitting them. Possibly I struggle less because I develop them for single weapon style, and those extra two armor classes are just enough to prevent a few hits. I also do single weapon for roleplay reasons - have you ever seen a Katana dual-wielded?

One other tip: don't overlook the fact that you can use throwing daggers and axes. A Kensai can do astounding things with the Firetooth Dagger or the Azure Edge Axe :)

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

What about a dwarf Kensai dual wielding the Dwarven Thrower and Crom Faeyr? :)
    Edit: This is not possible, my mistake.

[ January 23, 2005, 11:57: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

6. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31

I don't think it's possible to dual wield Dwarven Thrower with anything. Since it can be used as a ranged weapon, the engine prevents it (or maybe it just prevents it from being used in the off hand, I can't remember which).

Still, any weapon for the Kensai is a good choice. He can simply devour anything in his path with pretty much any weapon. For kicks, you could probably stick on the Axe of the Unyielding or Ravager and let him mow through non-death immunes, or the Flail of the Ages and let him totally devour anything through pure damage. Or just give him some random non-magical dagger and stare in awe as he kills things faster than the rest of your party. Good times ;) .

7. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You cannot dual wield if one of the weapons is ranged.

8. Tarron Gems: 2/31

Sounds good, so what'd you kit out yours with? I'm thinking Celestial Fury with Belm until i get the waters edge scimitar with the item upgrade. hmm...

9. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'd go single weapon style. A bonus of two to AC is no small bonus, and double the critical hits means double the fun!
    Water's Edge would be awesome. If I remember correctly, it has an increase in range. That would allow your Kensai to attack enemies from behind your other tanks, meaning your other tanks take the hits :) .

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dual-wielding just seems a natural to me for a kensai. Yes, you lose out on the single-weapon AC bonus, but on the other hand, you're going to kill them a lot faster, so you'll take less damage.

11. Tarron Gems: 2/31

I'd go with Splunge's theory, why let them hit you if you can hit em faster, seems the general idea behind the kit to me. The other good thing about waters edge is the poison, 2 points a second soon knocks off the HP.

12. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31

Well, if you naturally pick up a lot of Improved Whirlwind, the dual wielding effect is pretty much nullified. No one is talking about two handed weaponry :( . Love the Wave and Ravager.

13. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd agree with Splunge in the fact that it allows more damage, and in addition, having an extra weapon allows for the bonuses of that weapon in addition to the first, be it extra AC, immunities or stunning with Celestial Fury.

14. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ummm, that Water's Edge.Isn't it Water's Talon provided by Item Upgrade Pack?Normal Scimitar+3, Water's Edge doesn't do anything of those.

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Thats right. Three different sword types are used to create Water's Edge (or whatever its named). It has a greater than two handed weapon range. So your Kensai can stay well behind the others while still dishing out damage.
    I thing the CF+3 is still the better weapon. Add Belm in the off-hand.

A Kensai[9] seems to hit harder and more often than even Keldron on steroids. So for me a pure Kensai isn't that great an option. Dualling to thief and backstabbing for me.

16. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

When you achieve grand mastery in your weapon of choice (I go with scimitars and katana's) and then two weapon fighting, your Kensai becomes an absolute killing machine. Give it rings of protection or Gargoyle boot for protection and let the guy wade into a feild of enemies and watch the beasts fall.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Agreed - Kensai to Thief is a great way to get around the lack of thieves in this game but still have a character with THACO as good as a pure tank.

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    A pure kensai dual wielding short swords and scimitars, Belm+Kundane. Slice and dice machine! Buff with improved haste and most fight will be over in a heart beat, arent that many enemies even in ToB who need more than +2 to hit. Even so Belm in the off-hand would grant you one extra attack with your +3+ weapon in your main hand. The strongest powergaming conclusion I have drawn after 5+ whole runs through the game and a myriad of unifinished ones is that extra attacks always are more valuable than special effects or a few extra points of damage, most damage comes from strength bonus anyway.

19. Tarron Gems: 2/31

I've done the kensai dualled to a thief a couple of times, and yeah its very powerful. Just wanted to try something with a different flavour.
    A kensai at level 20 gets iirc +6 to hit and damage, and - 5 to his speed factor more than the vanilla fighter, this is why I don't want to dual, by the sounds of it dual wielding will give me 10 attacks a round with gww and belm or kundane... I'm thinking not much could stand up to that so I'll give it a go dual wielding celestial and belm and see what its like!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.