1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Similarities

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by miniwoo, Apr 26, 2001.

1. miniwoo Guest

Has anyone who has read David Eddings' the Belgariad noticed how much Kal Torak is like Sarevok?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I thorougly disagree with you. Kal Torak isn´t a single bit like Sarevok. Have you read the follow on stories, the Malloreon-Saga?
    There the character of Kal Torak is worked out much more, he actually is an important figure and becomes a friend of Belgarion. Rad it and you will think different.

However, the Belgariad-Saga is great. Nice characters.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 26, 2001).]

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmmm... It's been a while for these books, so correct me if I'm wrong, but Torak was completely insane and was killed in the Belgariad. Errand became the new god of the Angoraks in the Mallorean; there was no Torak in the Mallorean.

4. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Ragusa, you are thinking about (Kal) Zakath.

5. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The only importance that Kal Torak has in the Mallorean is in the Ashaba Prophecies, where he wrote that letter telling Garion to prevent the Dark sides version from coming true.

6. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Torak was The Child of Dark, as opposed to Garion being The Child of Light. Torak was a god too, if I remember right. So I'd agree that Sarevok and Torak are fairly different.

Wasn't Kal Zakath the one that was imprisoned in stone at the end of the Belgariad? Being a wizard, he sure as hell isn't like Sarevok either.

7. Cerryl Gems: 9/31

No it was (Bel)Zedar who was imprisoned in stone. 'Zakath is the Emperor of Mallorea who ends up being the overking of Angarak but only after he's become Garion's friend and an all round nice guy.

As for the differences between Sarevok and Torak the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:-
    1) Torak is a God, Sarevok is the offspring of a god
    2) Torak has a disfigured face, Sarevok didn't
    3) Torak only had 1 hand, Sarevok had 2
    4) It turned out that Torak was also against the Dark Prophecy, while Sarevok is trying to cause a prophecy to come true.

Hmmm that's all I can think of for now.

8. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Talk about a blast from the bast! Wow, I have to blow the dust off my brain for this one.

I think you've gotten the characters right by now, and while there isn't any direct similarities between Torak and Saravok, they do fill the same "character slot" in both story-lines.

IMHO, the biggest difference is that while the PC is set directly against Saravok, Garion does not equal/rival Torak. It is Errand who ultimately overtakes his "slot in the pantheon" and achieves diety.

But thanks for posting the question. Great memories of reading those books! Unfotunately I lent all 10 of them to a friend who moved away! :(

9. Cerryl Gems: 9/31

Filling in a character slot as a similarity. That's just obvious. If that's the only similarity you would be able to have similarities between every evil character there ever was. Sarevok, Irenicus, Torak, Zandramas, Murmandramas, Darken Rahl, Draken-Korim ....just to name a few ;)

[This message has been edited by Cerryl (edited April 28, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.