1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should they be allowed to do this?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7488009.stm

It seems like it's a breach of users privacy to me. If Viacom win a ruling that says Google are guilty of copyright infringement, then fine. Stop it happening and hit them with a penalty, whatever. The law's the law. However, what the users looked at should not be the business of Viacom and they should not be allowed to force Google to hand over this info if you ask me.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Meh. I don't think Viacom is going to care what any one individual it watching; I'm guessing they want information on what people watch so they know what to produce.

What that has to do with their copyright infringement I'm not sure, unless their monetary claims are based on how many times something of theirs has been watched.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't know if they should be allowed, but for what practical purpose do they need with this data. They estimate that there are about 1.5 billion people who have used YouTube. Who's going to go through all that data by hand? I mean wtf, since you obviously can't prosecute anyone for looking at the YouTube videos, I don't see what purpose Viacomm has in asking for the logs?

4. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    For datamining. Cross-referencing this with the data Viacom already has about it's customers is at least supposedly useful for marketing purposes.

You can't know too much about the customers or about the people you do business with.

Every bit of information is useful when you're doing business.

A database of 1.5 billion people is extremely lucrative if you're able to use the data appropriately.

5. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would have thought that Viacom could argue that as you had viewed something that you knew was illegal, you were therefore just as guilty as the person who had posted it. It could be argued that legally this is the same situation as illegally downloading music or films. The only difference is that you were accessing the videos online as opposed to downloading them then viewing them. This would could especially the case if your browser caches ANY images from these copyrighted films.

Being extremely cynical, it may also be a case of attempting to use the recent backlash against the distribution of copyrighted products to gain an extremely significant amount of market research for essentially no expenditure - a risky strategy, but possible.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I shouldn't have said can't. I should have said won't. It's completely unfeasible for Viacom to prosecute 1.5 billion individuals.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I can see why Viacom would want to protect its copyrights, and so I can see why they'd want some data about THEIR productions that were illegally posted on YouTube. But it looks like the court threw out the baby with the bathwater. I've never watched anything I'd be embarrassed about on Youtube but nonetheless I don't like the idea of Viacom getting their pudgy hands on my personal viewing habits of stuff I viewed legally.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I think the generality of the information was just used in lieu of monitary compensation. It's valuable information. As to how legal or moral it is, this isn't really private information. This is no more private information than what you bought at the grocery store last week. While you may find it disturbing to see that scrawled across the internet, it's really only the stalker-issue that would have me concerned (i.e. why do you have cause to know this, not how dare you tell people).

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    You've obviously never heard of RIAA :p

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    There's a difference between class-action lawsuits and individually suing mass numbers of people.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.