1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Should I get Elder Scroll III: Morowind? (PC)

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Ofelix, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I read sereval review and most of them says it's a good game, but I want gammer view of the game and Minimun Spec isn't a problem with the PC I've bought Most game will run smoothly! ;)

2. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Well I'd definitely recommend it.

It certainly is a lot more scripted than Daggerfall (if you've played it), which isn't necessarily always for the best. Not the most combat orientated (thankfully) although there is quite a bit of it. The world is definitely one worth exploring (personally I think one of its strong points), although unfortunately it could with being longer.

3. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Morrowind is the best rpg I have ever played.
    The main quest is fun, and the world is huge.
    There is thousands of things you can do, like diving for pearls( :p ), exploring tombs, joining guilds and you can even become a vampire or a werewolf(Bloodmoon).
    I would also recommend the Tribunal and the Bloodmoon expansion packs.

EDIT: I know graphics isn't everything, but Morrowind looks damn good :p

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's a good game I suppose. I personally thought it was a bit overdone. For example - EVERYTHING in the game is interactable. You can walk into a room and steal everything there. The spoons off the table, the plates, candles, food, everything. Basically, there are millions of items to play around with. This gets annoying when it comes to your equipment. You don't just have a suit of armor; you have the breast plate, left/right shoulder pad, left/right bracer, left/right gauntlets, left/right greaves, left/right boots. Really annoying when everything is piecemeal IMO. But I haven't gone that far, so I'm no expert on the game. Too many things like that annoyed me for me to get really into it. But I still may.

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

What ??? You still don't have it ???

Go out and buy it NOW !!! Best game ever. :D

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I've played about 30 minutes, or so, of it.

It's massive. Like, in Thief where Garret's map says "WHERE THE !#&$@# AM I?" and it's highlited in blue, kind of massive.

You'll get lost. More than once.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you like adventuring without need to care where you are going; get Morrowind.

However, if you like to have a tight plot and know what you need to do next; get some other RPG.

8. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Like ejsmith said, you will definitly get lost more than once :D , but there's an excellent map of the game with an integrated search funktion, if you want I could send it to you :)

9. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yeah Buy Marrowind. I never got the chance to get the expansion(s). But I have played almost the entire game. I finished my guild Quests, The main one, and several Minor ones. I stopped playing, but that was only because of time. I was still exploring the rest.

Only one thing though: There is a lot of walking (running) since the size of the map, and some quests got you going back and forth. But there is a way around it. You can buy these two scrolls. Mark and Recall, I believe their names were. You cast Mark in lets say your “house” then wonder off adventuring. And you need to get back to town. You cast recall and there you go. There are other forms of travel such as boat, Silt Strider, and The Mage's Guilds. But running is the most common.

I said “house” like this because you really don’t have a house in the game. You make one or some. (Note: I haven’t played the expansions so things might differ)

I believe its in Balmora. (I'll have to double check on that.) There is a shop in a corner with a Lady inside. She doesn't sell anything worthy or has any quests. Kill her and then take over her place. Clear out the chests and shelves to make room for your items. You can rest in here, leave your items without worrying they will disapear, and etc.

[ June 26, 2003, 18:43: Message edited by: SoCo ]

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

I've been thinking about the game as well. But just as I was about to buy it, I was turned from my decision by some people claiming that it *wasn't* scripted, instead being a big huge world with no real plot to cling on to. And that in actuality there were really only very few different and enjoyable ways of playing it through.

So you're saying it's different? How about the relationships between other people and the protagonist? Is everything just "talk to me and I will give you a quest so you can move on and no-one cares" or is there some actual bonding between the protagonist and others, like the NPC's in BG or "factions" in some other games?

Also, what about the expansions? I can't get a basic Morrowind anymore, just with the Tribuna expansion pack. What's it like and is it worth it?

11. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

Here is some descriptions of the expansions:

TRIBUNAL

Troubled times have come to Mournhold. A ruthless new king has taken the throne, removing any enemies that stand in his way. Meanwhile, the goddess Almalexia searches for a way to restore her waning power and the god Sotha Sil has plans that may threaten all of Morrowind.
    The fate of Morrowind is in your hands...again.

It is HIGHLY recommended that you finish the Morrowind Main quest before starting Tribunal (both for story reasons and because it is very tough)

BLOODMOON

There is trouble on the island of Solstheim. Rumors of strange and powerful Nords living in the snowy wastes abound, and the Empire's new mining colony struggles to survive in an untamed land. Beware of the ancient curse and the night the moon will turn to blood.
    Will you stand against the werewolves, or become one?

You can do Bloodmoon at any point in Morrowind as it isn't related to the main quest, you should be at least level 20 before going to Solstheim though, or you will have your ass handed to you ;)

NPCs

You very rarely get NPCs to join you, and if you do it is just for a specific quest.
    You can download a lot of NPCs as plugins though, but beware, the pathfinding is horrible.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I never really got into the game very far. The problems I had with it were that the plot seemed weak and just tacked on to give you an excuse to walk around in this big pretty world that the designers created. Also, the process of haggling with merchants drove me nuts.

Finally, you really have to ignore the temptation of powergaming. I ruined my favorite character that way. He had alchemy as a secondary skill and I eventually gave into the "lets see what happens if I make stat boosting potions" trap. I temporarily (well the latest potions will wear off, after 6 months or so) boosted his intelligence which boosted his alchemy skill and repeated until he was all seeing and all knowing (Intelligence in the millions where normal max is 100). I then proceeded to similarily boost his other stats so that he has virtually unlimited hit points and can probably kill anything in the game with one punch. It was kind of funny at first but the thrill quickly wore off. The character can't even use weapons because his strength is so high that he breaks them on the first hit. :(

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I would highly recommend this game to anyone. I bought it for my X-box, and was up for hours playing this beast (my character is lvl 69). The thing about it that really intrigues me is the "do anything you bloody well like" factor, I prefer the choice not bothering with all the quests in the game.

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31

@ JSBB

Weapons don't break in two in Morrowind, they stay intact, you just can't wield them anymore until they are repaired. And exactly how high is your character's strength if you damage your own weapons like that with one strike ?

My character is currently at level 67, strength is at 120, i can wield any weapon for a pretty long time before it needs to be repaired.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Pac man - I know that broken weapons can be repaired but it is still a pain to have to do so after every hit. As I mentioned, I used alchemy to create super boost potions so I would say that my character's strength is probably somewhere in the millions. Thus, weapons instantly go from 100% to 0% and, as a result, my character turned into something out of an absurd martial arts film.

Combat worked pretty well as follows

1. Enemy attacks. My character's hitpoints are so high that it really does not matter if he is hit as it would take several years for the critter to do enough damage to kill him.
    2. My character throws a single punch.
    3. Enemy dies instantly.
    4. Repeat until there are no more enemies.

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Whoa, i didn't know a character could get THAT beefed up. But i don't think i'd enjoy playing a character THAT strong, i'm pretty much invincible as it is with this character, and with my Daedric longbow equipped with area effect arrows, nothing can even come close to me.

That's why i downloaded the "Giants mod". It adds a few new monsters to the game, which are tougher to beat, than those who are originally in the game. Like ancient Liches, ancient giants, seadevils, and Nix hounds, who now come after you in packs.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I was a little surprised that the game allowed it myself. It DID make the game incredibly dull. I had this strange urge to yell "Hulk Smash!" everytime my character fought something.

18. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I found Morrowind to be pretty easy, so I pumped up the difficulty level gradually, from 40 to 100. The game is now a lot tougher.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.