1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shadowlords / Dreamcatcher / Demon

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Jack Funk, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I just completed the Shadowlords / Dreamcatcher / Demon modules. They were FAR better than the first three official modules.

What I liked:
    * Role playing! What a concept. Your decisions matter. Your alignment can change. There are non-combat resolutions to situations.
    * Story telling. Adam Miller spins a good yarn. The continuity between the modules is very good. I felt invested in my character and my henchman.
    * Variety. There are lots of interesting places to go and lots of different things to see. It is never boring.
    * Not a hack and slash, not a treasure hunt. There is a reasonable amount of combat and treasure. It does not drive the game though, the story does.
    * Planescape. Demon takes place in the Planescape. It is pretty well done. I really liked the gate diving part of the game.
    * Power gaming is not rewarded. In fact it's pretty pointless.
    * When it ended, I wanted more. 'nuff said.

What I didn't like:
    * In Shadowlords and Dreamcatcher, you can't modify your henchmans inventory. I selected Tiera as my henchman (and romance). She didn't have a ranged weapon. This could be a bit of a problem. Since the game is not combat intensive (like the original campaign), it is workable.

Highly recommended.

I'm sure others have played it and I would like to hear what you have to say.

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I actually finished these a few days ago. I agree with everything you said, and I liked that, at the end, I felt my character's story was complete. The extra sequence at the end of Demon was so dramatic; it was brilliant. And there were so many good ideas, although I never bothered with the alchemy and such in Demon. But it was very Torment-y.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I didn't take full advantage of Demon either. I could have done more with traps and alchemy.

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The second series doesn't work with the PrC pack. That's a shame.

5. DarthMuffin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I actually did not like Demon myself. Well, as a module it was great, but it simply did not fit well in the series. I think Mr Miller should have made it a seperate module concerning a different PC.

Deep inside, I'm also a bit tired of those modules where your character is "too special", which are already plentiful. SL/DC made you feel like the classic adventurer, and this was a bit ruined in Demon, in my opinion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.