1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sex in books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by LKD, Aug 2, 2007.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Goodkind sets up the worst sort of straw men arguments in his books and then gleefully knocks them down in the name of "Freedom". I tend to agree with him in some general terms (I think, for instance, that people who are not willing to defend themselves and wait for others to do it do not deserve the same respect as people willing to defend themselves) but he is just repulsive, particularly in terms of sex.

That link you posted, AMaster, was truly hilarious.

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    You want sex in books? Read Laurell K. Hamilton.

She seems to have themes bassed entirly around sex (which after so many books is geting old)

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Anne Rice has way too much sex in her books, that's why I stopped reading her stuff. Most of it is man on man action as well :sick:

Although Interview with a Vampire wasn't bad..

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I'm reading this quite lame book at the moment that has far too much gratuitous sex in it. I am entirely tired with 'full breasts' and 'thrusting'.

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    What, you can't tell us which book it is? :p

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I know I get tired of all that stuff myself...

To be more serious, I don't think that fantasy books need to be anything like those silly "romance" novels. Yet, it appears that sex in genre fiction is not very easy to render in a convincing way, at least for a lot of writers. A lot of "literature" is briming with sex, but no one really gives it a second thought, even when it's woven into a story as a minor, yet important secondary theme, such as in The Odyssey or Goethe's Faust or Chaucer's Canterbury Tales; and not to mention, Boccaccio's Decameron, or even Nabokov's Lolita, where sexual desire is an even greater part of the over-arching theme.

Of course, most literature with sex is largely an exploration of navagating the social politics of sex and what sex says about a particular culture in a larger way (Lolita). And, hardly anyone can object to sexual content if it is rendered with humor - as a way of laughing at a culture's set of particular sexual "hang-ups" and not taking the treatment of sex as an "overly serious" subject.

In other words, a writer can't take himself too seriously in his treatment of the subject of sex, without the scutiny of perhaps "projecting" too much into the mix. Again, in Lolita, there have been numerous attempts to draw similarities between Humbert (the main character) and the author, most of which have been failures, I should point out.

[ August 17, 2007, 08:51: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

The book was The Last View of Eden by Ralph Hayes - utterly not worth reading. Was especially disappointing because the blurb and title promise an apocalyptic story, which is certainly wasn't.

I'm thinking the problem with the sex here was the wording - lots of cliche and over-the-top descriptions. That these were far more prevalent in the sex scenes than the rest of the book would suggest that the author has some kind of imaginative failure when it comes to sex (but he sure does like writing it...).

Plus describing the same damn thing again and again in each sex scene. Enough about the urgent thrusting already!

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

I don't know, I find them quite interesting :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.