1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Serenity

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by kuemper, Sep 22, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Just saw a commercial for it last night and I was like, 'Hey! That's the guy from Firefly!' When I saw it the second time, I got a chance to see more of the crew. It looks like Joss Whedon's Firefly made it to the big screen. Question from me is: will it get screwed up like Buffy?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm looking forward to it, should be good. They'll do a trilogy of films if the first one does well. And restart the series...

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ummm... Buffy was a movie BEFORE it was a tv series. :rolleyes:

And it was much funnier than the series (the movie was an intentional spoof of vampire flicks).

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What is "Firefly"?

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@T2 - I know, but in an interview, Joss said he had conflicts with the producers or the director about how much of an airhead Buffy was supposed to be.

@HB - Firefly was an outerspace, fantasy show about the crew of a claptrap ship by Joss Whedon (Buffy and Angel creator). It reminded me a bit of Farscape, if you ever saw that show. I think it lasted only one season.

I was impressed that most of the original show's cast was in the movie. I'm not sure about the 'stowaways' (the brother-sister) being the same actors.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

bit of an off-topic, but since it was already brought up: aside from the comments already made, kristy swanson was also hotter than sarah michelle gellar ;)

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, to continue the off-topicality; mmmmmm, The Chase.

But I found BtVS (tv) to be, well, WITTIER^1 than the very campy movie; I liked the latter, but apparently not everyone realized it was supposed to be a send-up...

But c'mon Serenity! Let's get back out into the 'verse, Browncoats!

footnote:
    1. case in point:
    (I know, I know, it just turned into a game of tic-tac-toe ;) )

or

or

What; someone of one nation not understanding pop culture from another nation? Naaaaaah; we don' know nuthin' 'bout that! :D

8. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    They're rerunning Firefly on the Sci-Fi channel, and we're really getting into it. After the first few episodes the movie was "wait for pay-per-view" but now it's reached "read the reviews before calling a babysitter" status.

Little makes it to "hire a sitter two months in advance for opening weekend" status. ;)

10. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Right, this is also being discussed in the other board I frequent, where we got some dope from an official 'Browncoat' (fan club member):

(thanks, TB_Nachtwulf)

Essentially, this is meant to be a trilogy - apparently Joss made a deal with the studio to make the first and maybe produce the sequels depending on the turnout for the first.

So if you want to see more than single feature from what was started in Firefly the series and Serenity the comic, and you've got the time and free cash to, go see the movie a couple of times - spread out to increase the effect on sales...

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I saw the trailer last night... looks interesting.

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I saw it last night - and I thought it was pretty good.

There is nothing really special about the plot, special effects, or acting but the quirky dialogue makes it a real pleasure to watch.

Of course that is pretty much what you expect from Joss Whedon.

That does cause me one problem - that being having to choose from so many quotable lines for use in the Quote Game. ;)

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    It seem yet anotherp pointless action movie with only big special effects. Not a movie with a soul or something that seem interesting. I don't see the point to spend money on this one. Ain't going to see it, even if the ''critics'' are good.

14. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Actually this movie has been getting great reviews; hopefully the girlfriend and I will be seeing it soon.

15. Lantus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I hope to see Serenity tomorrow. Hopefully. I've been watching all the old tapes I've got of Firefly, and I love it!

16. JSBB Gems: 31/31

@ Ofelix - The film really doesn't have all that much in the way of action or special effects - the characters spend the majority of the film talking to each other actually.

Given that the film's dialogue is its strongest point that isn't a bad thing really.

Edit: Interesting. Serenity is somewhat over-rated on IMDB (it is currently #136 on the top films of all time list), possibly as a result of rabid Firefly fans trying to boost ticket sales. What I find interesting is that across all age groups, female voters are giving it slightly higher ratings than male voters which is a bit odd for a science fiction film.

[ October 03, 2005, 18:46: Message edited by: JSBB ]

17. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

It's Nate. I needed a bib for my wife's involuntary salivation. ;)

But I think Serenity's prime appeal is that it's just simply FUN :D

I don't think you could get a SF movie into distribution nowadays without some repetitive plot elements...though there's a reason these things have *become* cliches - they still have some appeal to us; they still work.

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

There've been more adverts on tv lately and I'm starting to look forward to going to the movies again. Joss has been a writer that always hit me - I can get what he's saying and why his characters are acting that way.

Captain: You think you can lead this ship!?
    Guy: Yeah, yeah I can!
    Captain: <sheepishly> Well, you can't.

Sorry I can't recall the names, it's my weak spot. This scene's part of the tv adverts I've watched.

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I saw Serenity last night - I really liked it!! I hadn't seen the tv show until the starting running them on Sci-fi last week, but now I have to say...I think I'm a Browncoat! Awesome movie, great story, and gives just enough background on everyone for a newb to catch up.

The special effects were also very good, but it seemed that the director leaned on FX less than most other sci-fi films. It didn't hurt the movie one bit. Good flick! Go see it. Now. I want sequels!

"I am a leaf in the wind..."

20. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I'm dragging my friends off to see it tomorrow. they don't seem too enthusiastic, but if theres any fancy fighting, i'll be therre to watch it :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.