1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Separating the art from the 'artist'

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The very best actors can literally disappear inside a role and convince you that they truly are the character. For example, during the LotR trilogy, I didn't see Ian McKellen. I truly saw Gandalf. That's one example.

For the rest of the mortals who take up the thespian craft, we as the audience sometimes have to be a little accommodating. We know full well, even on a subconscious level, that we're just watching somebody pretend to be somebody else. But for the sake of enjoying ourselves for a while, we're willing to go along for the ride. And very often, we know that the celebrity actors are less than perfect like anyone else and we can live with that too.

But lately ... it seems that guys like Mel Gibson and Charlie Sheen are really raising the bar. They just strain my ability to enjoy even their past work.

I used to love watching Braveheart. Of course, Mel Gibson wasn't so great an actor that I saw William Wallace instead of that Australian guy who played Mad Max, but hey, it made its point. But now ... I just can't brush the dust off that old Braveheart DVD. Forget William Wallace. I'm seeing an anti-semitic has been who spews racial slurs while drunk, and makes incredibly shocking death threats against an ex-girlfriend, and who's putting on a really pretentious performance as something he's not even close to being.

And then Charlie Sheen. I can no longer visualize everyman pitcher Rick Vaughn or desperate everyman Jack Hammond facing a life sentence he doesn't deserve. Now I want to see Jack Hammond fry in prison precisely because he's being played by Sheen.

Anyway, discuss this or anything else related to the general topic of separating the art from the artist.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can't listen to any Amy Winehouse songs, even if they're not that bad, because the artist herself is such a nuisance.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't watch Hanoi Jane.

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Likewise with Platoon. It's hard to feel empathy with Sheen's character Chris's (I think it was) plight when his letters to his grandma would feel more accurate describing the *****s he's had and the drugs he's done.

Incidentally, I think people often get the 'suspension of disbelief' thing wrong: it's supposed to happen to you, not be something you decide to do. e.g., with good fiction, you will find that you have become immersed in the narrative and 'believe' without knowing it. If you have to deliberately decide to play along, then the material isn't doing it's job and your disbelief is not really suspended. SoD is the domain of the writer/director/actor/et al (like you describe with McKellen), not the consumer.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Gaear, I have to disagree with you a little on that score -- I see it as a symbiotic relationship. Of course, the artist(s) involved have to produce quality material -- that's their side of the relationship.

For the part of the audience, though, they do have to be willing to not look for faults and flaws -- if someone is bound and determined to look for flaws, they WILL find them, no matter how transcendant the work. But audiences engage with an artistic piece for the purpose of enjoyment, and they have to be in the proper frame of mind in order for the "suspension of disbelief" to occur. If they are in a different frame of mind, nothing will happen for them.

Now in terms of separating the artist from his/her work, that's an interesting thought. I'm coming to a point in my life that I don't want to know much about the private life of the actors I am watching on the screen. I want to evaluate their performance strictly on what I see and here from the artistic piece. I find it difficuilt to do when I know something about an artist's personal life.

Real Life example, in 1996 or so a movie came out entitled "Powder" -- it was a lame riff on Travolta's "Phenomenon" movie. I was marginally interested until I found out that the director was a convicted pedophile. He had served a few years for buggering a little boy, and was out again. Now, I don't advocate violence against those who have served their time and all, but I determined that not one cent of my money would go to the upkeep of this disgusting human being. I refused to attend the movie on that basis, even if that meant maybe missing a really amazing movie. I'll never know, and I;m comfortable with that. It's my tiny way of protesting the pathetically lame sentences pedophiles get.

From Wikipedia:

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    What is the appropriate sentence? You made this thread poltical, so let's get into it. Why is it that someone can kill a child and get probation in our courts, as I have demonstated on these boards in the past. And I don't hear much from others about children being massacred here in the US, Afghanistan, or anywhere else, but as soon as it comes to sex, people wig out to the point of hysteria. I wish you people would get a grip. I'm not defending pedophiles, far from it, I have two young girls and a baby boy, all of whom I protect and hoover over to no end. And I believe there should be consquences for such abuse. Why is it that being an actual "child killer" is considered not nearly sufficiant to demand such wrath from some quarters? Maybe Beren would like to comment on the difference, or if we are getting too far off topic since this is his thread.

http://www.openmarket.org/2009/08/1...f-starved-md-child-to-be-released-after-plea/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I'll grant you that - someone with a closed mind is not likely to be affected, deliberately or not.

As to the separation question, I find that I oftentimes don't want to know about the artist either. Take (gasp) Lady Gaga. I actually think she has a nice voice, but whenever I hear a Gaga song all I can think of is how she resembles Marilyn Manson in costume, not how nice her voice is. I also don't really care what any of them think of President Obama, Fox News, US foreign policy, or school lunch programs. Those are areas where the common man has demonstrated at least an equal amount of smarts as they have.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

At the risk of a thread derail, I am all for tougher sentences all around. Up to and including the death penalty. IMHO, if you murder your kid, you should get the needle. If you rape your kid, you should get the needle. If you place your kid in a filthy stinking basement and force him to eat his own excrement, you should get the needle.

In other words, I'm not just focused on sex crimes. Believe me, I have a grip on this issue. If Salva had been convicted of murdering someone -- ANYONE, not just a child, I would have been just as happy to conduct my one man boycott.

Which is a reason why I don't want to know much about performers. I can't enjoy what they do in good conscience if I know that they are filthy murderers or rapists. And like Beren, lesser offences also take their toll. I have a hard time with any Mel Gibson movie now. I never have liked Charlie Sheen, so that one's no problem for me ;)

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It seems that many would agree with you. I'm not sure I agree, since I don't really agree with the death penalty except in extreme circumstanes [like those two killers in CT]. I believe that once people serve their time, they should be left alone. The only thing I would add is that you better be sure someone is really guilty of the crime before you start sticking anyone with needles. There is a reason the death penalty has been put on hold in some states, and why we see people falsley convicted and serving long sentences suddenly in the news because of DNA evidence. It seems that the system is far less than perfect for some of us can be that comfortable with your notions.

Beren, you can move my response to your new thread, since you just posted it.

Just for the record, IMO, prisons are criminal factories.

11. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I keep reading the thread title as "Separating the arm from the 'artist'" and thinking, "Somebody didn't like the last movie they saw."

On topic, Dave Mustaine's current political views make it slightly harder for me to enjoy the later Megadeth albums. He used to come across as a critically-thinking guy, like a "thinking man's rock star" if you will, whereas now he apparently just listens to talk radio and eats it all up.

However, this has absolutely no impact on how much I enjoy the early Megadeth albums, and there's plenty of other reasons besides this for me to dislike the new ones.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.