1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Self-defeating, copy-protecting idiots

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Yerril, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'm looking for a program...

Here's the deal. I recenty bought a CD album for my OWN enjoyment, and no-one else's. After realising what great music it was, I decided to record it on to a minidisc, to be used in my own portable minidisc player. However, things soon went down the pan when I saw "copy controlled" written on the CD. Autorunning on my PC, the damn thing started its own special brand of audioplayer, which played that CD, and no others. Exploring the actual content of the CD, I realised that the tracks were not stored as .CDA files as most CDs are, but they were in fact all stored as a few useless chunks of code. Although I could still listen to the music on a CD player and on my PC, I could not actually record it to a Minidisc, either through the special Minidisc software or by simply plugging it into a player and pressing record. I even tried converting it to a cassette first. :rolleyes:

So, I now need a program that will simply record sounds made by my computer, maybe as .WAVs or something. Like a program that runs in the background and records all the alert noises and stuff. My plan is to start the CD playing on the little cruddy player, and record each track one by one. That way I may lose the digital information, but at least I will have the music. Bearing in mind this is for my own use, could anyone supply me with a link for such a program? I know it sounds far-fetched, but I'm currently really pissed off with this damn CD.

I mean, jeez, it's like copy-protecting your ass. It'll stop everyone from using it, including you! :mad: :mad:

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Oh, yes. I know these protection. They are so effictive that sometimes you cannot play the CDs on the computer. Or these special players do not work.

As for the program, try Audiograbber. IIRC it is free or shareware. Theorethically (sp?), you can extract the files as *.WAV or even *.MP3 in every chosen quality.

3. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Fabius, you are a God. Both my minidisc player and I thankyou from the bottom of our hearts. You have done us a great service today, and it shall not be forgotten. :bigeyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.