1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scribe Scrolls/Brew Potions for wizards?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by greymeister, Dec 29, 2005.

1. greymeister Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Maybe it's just because I'm not very knowledgeable about AD&D but I was wondering if there was some way in the game engine or via a mod to allow wizards to create scrolls and/or potions. I'm a 3.5 player but it seems like it should have existed before...

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Get Throne of Bhaal. The expansion includes the Alchemy and Scribe Scrolls High-Level Abilities.

3. greymeister Gems: 1/31

Veteran

I read those were for thieves though, which sort of confused me...

4. Felinoid

Thieves and bards only; and yes, it's just as stupid as it sounds. But since a good party will have both a thief and at least one mage, you can just have your thief give the scrolls to the mage and it ends up the same.

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    It's ToB only and pretty useless since the spells are really weak:
    Magic Missile, Invisibility, Haste, Cone of Cold, Fireball, Monster Summoning II, Dispel Magic, Monster Summoning III, Dire Charm.
    It would make more sense if Mages had this ability at an earlier stage in the game.
    (If you get ToB you can add the Thief High Level Ability 'Scribe Scrolls' to a Mage with Shadow Keeper (a savegame editor). I would do so right at the beginning. It won't make the game that easier anyway).

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well one of my mods allow mages to get Scroll and Potion making HLAs, but the items created are slightly different. It also gives clerics Scroll Scribing&Potion Brewing HLAs but they create healing and defensive potions, and random cleric scrolls. (which are a rarity in the game)

BUT sorry I can't recall which mod did this, I have so many mods!!!

(BTW maybe somebody should carry this topic into ToB forum, sure the guy who posted it does not have TOB but the nature of the question is related with HLAs.)

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

EoU, iirc.

8. greymeister Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Anyone have links for these mods? And I will probably add the ability for scrolls to my wizard and potions to my cleric. I guess part of the disbelief of this game is...where the scrolls and potions come from hahaha

edit: where in Shadowkeeper do you add HLA's? I have ToB installed.

9. Caradhras

Media:
    Open your savegame, then click on 'Innate' and 'Add Spell' then select 'Scribe Scrolls' and 'Alchemy' (reorganize the list according to names in order to find them easily) then save, et voilà!
    The mods are here!

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Who's going to take bets on how long until the "ToB content is removed" post? ;)

11. greymeister Gems: 1/31

Veteran

My original question had nothing to do with ToB, apparently though that is where my answer was.

And ps thanks Caradhras

edit: If I add the innate abilities:
    Alchemy (Mage)
    Scribe Scrolls (Mage)
    Use Any Item {Prereq for above}

The game shows that my abilities icon is available but nothing is there. However, if I add one to memorized using Shadow Keeper, the game crashes upon loading the savegame. :(

[ December 30, 2005, 02:14: Message edited by: greymeister ]

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Then you had better get the mods, mages and clerics get much better scrolls and potions too!

13. Caradhras

Media:
    Silverstar is right, SK can be tricky sometimes.
    I'll give it a try.
    [EDIT: way too much trouble... it's not even worth it.]

[ December 30, 2005, 19:25: Message edited by: Caradhras ]

14. greymeister Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Well I figured out that if the mage gets to high levels they actually get that option to scribe scrolls or brew potions, which isn't said in the Instructions at least. Oh well, my answer was there all along.

What mods are available that enhance these activities? As in being able to scribe say...any spell you know (maybe with xp/gold cost or soemthing)

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

What? Mages get scribe/brew in an unmodded game? I really don't think so!

BTW kuemper suggests it is EoU, which means:Ease of Use, but I am not %100 sure. You can check the mod though, it has many other useful components as well.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31

From the EoU readme, one of the components to install is Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, Grand-Master, and Arcane, Divine Spell Progression., which brings these closer to PnP rules. I think that's where the Alchemy and Scribe Scrolls HLAs come from. I had this installed, found out bards get better than level 6 spells and my mages and clerics were getting these HLAs, so I uninstalled.

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Why did you uninstalled? I think it is pretty cool. And as spell casters become closer to the pen&paper they get more spells at higher levels which is kwell as well! :thumb:

18. Felinoid

:bs: They're supposed to! All you've done by un-installing is handicapped them unneccessarily.

19. greymeister Gems: 1/31

Veteran

Yes I have the WEIDU mod installed, but only because I usually play MP games so I can have as many characters as I want even when I don't have the NPCs with me. The "Please go back to the Copper Coronet" is infinitely useful in this matter, because otherwise having an multiplayer character other than the standard NPCs leave results in him/her saying "I will fight no more forever" and just leave indefinitely. In the old days of my early BG2 playing the only way to fix that was to use Shadow Keeper to change the NPCs location and then use cheat keys.

Also with that mod having the cheat keys to create a creature and then add them to your party is very functional. I wanted to have Artemis as my rogue once and now I can have him stay at the CC whenever I don't have room for him :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.