1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scratched disks

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Dalamar Maximus, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I hev a game which I really liked but it fell on the ground and now doesn't work. My friend told me you can do something so it can still work if you still have the disk. it was a limited edition, so i don't know if i can get it again. If anyone knows please tell me. Thanks

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Which game is this??

If its scratched...you could try ripping it with an ISO program and running it off your hard-drive that way...but I doubt it will work if your cd has been significantly scratched... I'm sure if you contacted the company and explained your problem, they could help you out by letting you know where you could purchase a fresh copy of the game.

3. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think it's possible to purchase a device which fixes such problems. As far as I can remember, to compensate for the sratches (which mess up the laser reading the disc), it creates more scratches which compensate for this. I'm not sure where you could get one, though. Go check on the Internet.

4. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Okay, this is a bit of a bump, but I've been away from BoM for a while, and have a couple of pieces of advice on the issue.

Some time back, I'd ended up with a scratched disc 2 for Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, so when I wanted to reinstall it, things were fine (the software itself is all on disc 1) but to progress beyond a certain level it'd need the latter disc for apparently just Redbook audio (c'mon, it's John Williams' stuff :cool: )

I tried checking out a local computer store and found a few possible solutions: one was a hand-cranked buffing machine that seemed too involved for the level of my issue (I wasn't losing sleep over not finishing JK :) ), but there were also 'buffing pads' that came with little packets of...'lotion'; you'd squirt the stuff on the scratched surface, then take one of the disposable pads and, well, polish the disc, lessening the scratches and marks. The box DID specify it was more for 'minor' scratches, and mine was rather deeply scratched, but figured what the hey...

As it turned out, the buffing DID clear up some of the damage; I was able to start up the next level, and part of the way through the music would skip. Unfortunately that would prevent me from starting the level after that due to the software wanting to read the NEXT audio track on the skipping CD. :heh: Ah well.

So I was still stuck. But perusing through the manual, LucasArts made it known that they had a disc replacement policy - sending in the original discs and $10 us would have them send replacements. Worried about the buffing job I'd done on my disc, I called up customer service, and was assured that they just wanted the discs to verify that I wasn't trying to 'get a cheap extra game' for someone - they'd received discs snapped IN HALF! :D

So I went ahead with it, and just under a month later (LucasArts is in the US pacific coast, and I'm sitting on the edge of nowhere - assume an extra week for mailing stuff :heh: ) I was playing on happily. So I can confirm both Faraaz's AND Clixby's conjecture. :cool:

Now I can't say that ALL game makers have a similarly helpful policy, but it can't hurt to check. Another factor is how long ago was the game released; Half Life 2 will probably be fine, but older games may not be in stock even if the company offers replacements. Case in point, good luck getting ANY Infinity Engine game replaced! :(

And even then, there might be something the retail store where you bought the game can do to help; some stores have policies of their own...

In short, I don't think we can guarantee you'll be back into it, but definitely don't give up hope yet!

5. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If it is impossible to get changed, then try grabbing your toothpaste, put some on your finger and apply to the scratches very gently - then wash it under cold water till all the paste is gone.

Some of the paste fills out the scratches and does so the laser reads over it and just doesn't say "Not working"

Worked for me. :)

6. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.