1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sci-Fi or a tad bit more serious RPGs

Discussion in 'Playground' started by chevalier, Jun 26, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Can you recommend any, apart from the KotOR series (which I recommend to anyone who hasn't played it yet) or the Fallout one (ditto)?

I'd like something different from the somewhat too childish (in the bad way) and politically correct Forgotten Realms and generally D&D 3E? I just can't stand all their political correctness, it's making me sick (using she as an abstract pronoun should be illegal and it's just the peak of the iceberg) at least for the time being and not like I hate NWN or IWD2, but you get the idea. And D&D 3E doesn't seem so bad in the KotOR series, actually.

So, could you recommend something with a more serious theme but still RPG? Something without any, "men and women of Fearun are equally strong and sturdy," crap or, "I'm CE and it's my constitutional right to loot and burn and I hate you and you have to respect it," multiplayer attitudes, without angsty fan groups making statements all the time and dragging their RL campaigns into the fantasy world (one good thing about SF - such things don't stick out so much), without hidden biased moralising?

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Arcanum would be a good place to start - It's steampunk/fantasy and is quite serious. Ignore the crappy mechanics and everything should be fine.

Geneforge might be worth a look at too - it's fantasy, but has a science-ish bent. It has a huge amount of combat in it though, and the combat isn't wonderful. You can download the shareware version on the Spiderweb Software site.

Looking into the future - Age of Decadence looks like it will fit the 'serious' bill. And there's that game that some ex-Troika guy is making that's sci-fi...

3. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Some of the earlier Ultimas (IV - VII)? Torment? Vampire: Bloodlines?

4. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

System Shock 2 comes to mind although it has more first person shooting elements than rpg elements. None the less one of the best games ever made, with a great ambiance!

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Hmm, yeah - same for Deus Ex, I suppose. Very light RPG elements mechanically - but a lot deeper than your average shooter.

6. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Wizardry 8. That is, if you don't mind fighting Armaggedon-style battles every 15 minutes.

As Aikanaro said, Arcanum is a nice game. I recommend grabbing the All-In-One fixpak first tho'.

I know I'll probably get kicked around a bit for this, but what about Return to Krondor ?

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I'll second Wizardy8. Playing it right now and, yes, the battles are frickin' hard. No wall at your back = dead.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    If you want something in the Fallout mould but much older, try Wasteland (also by Interplay, IIRC). It is very dated (we're talking about 1989 here), but the game is excellent.

Never played Return to Krondor, but the earlier game, Betrayal at Krondor, is fantastic. Good luck getting it to work properly on XP (though I think it works quite well with Doxbox). The game was made freeware by Sierra many years ago, so it should be easy to find.

Ultima 4 to 7, as well as both Ultima Underworld games, are fantastic. Complex stories, deep issues, and interesting characters.

The Might and Magic games are quite good, though you might find them a little too generic (not as much as FR though). All the M&M games are fantasy with some sci-fi elements, and that element is quite strong in some (especially 3 to 7). M&M 6 to 8 run under the same engine, and I think graphics are still acceptable today.

If you want something more serious and original (and more SF) Arcanum is excellent. The interface occasionally gets in the way, but everything else in the game is perfect.

Can't think of any new games... did we mention Planescape? :D

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I just got the fallout collection a few days ago and I am very disappointed. It seems very primitive like 'Lure of the Temptress'.

10. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Blasphemy! ;)
    What is that you don't like about Fallout, Cúchulainn?

I have enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2 inmensely, especially due to the freedom to explore what and where you like, and because they both provide many different ways to solve quests.

Haven't played any KOTOR, but I'm looking forward to. Arcanum is a brilliant game when you get into it, with plenty of quests and the freedom to go and do pretty much whatever it pleases you.

[ July 05, 2006, 12:24: Message edited by: Colthrun ]

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was expecting a futuristic version of BG, but it was a game more like a cross between 'Lure of the Temptress' and 'Swevos World'. I have only spent 15 mins playing, so maybe when I get into it a little more?

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I'd recommend waiting until you reach Junktown, at least, to make your decision. The game is really worth it.

13. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31

The Fallout games are known for their rather tedious first few hours (like, say, before you get the SMG and enough ammunition in Fallout 1).

A note to those who might try Wizardry. Play it on the lowest difficulty level. The game has a pretty fooked-up difficulty scaling engine (like encountering Juggernauts when your party's level is 8), which fully compensates for the (initially-selected) lower level.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Morrowind on the X-box is addictive, and there are some less popular issues (racism, drugs, organized crime, capital punishment)...

I haven't played Oblivion, but I'd bet there's more of the same there...

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well, if you were expecting it to be a futuristic BG you went in with the totally wrong idea. It's not going to get any closer to BG no matter how long you play it for - but it is an awesome game (IMO, better than BG).

16. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

RPG with a tad of futuristic elements... Silent Storm and it's expansion Sentinel. It's actually based on WWII with futuristic reference. It's turn-based and action-point based like Fallout 1&2 but in 3D. It had some reference to X-Com game. Quite addictive but some people got dissapointed when the "futuristic" thing kicks in.

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I was under the impression that Silent Storm was a squad based tactical game, not an RPG...

18. Slowpoke Gems: 2/31

It's a TBT with RPG-style character management.

19. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I haven't played it much yet, but I got hold of a game called Darklands, set in medieval europe I believe. I never got any further than creating characters as the process was incredibly deep, involving describing the characters' careers in great detail to generate their current state. It seems highly regarded, however, and I shall certainly give it a go when I get the time. Has anyone else tried this game?

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I tried Darklands ages ago when it was initially released. The game has a fantatic idea, but the release I had was so buggy that it was unplayable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.