1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scariest game you have ever played

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Elvenblade, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] After finnishing The Return To Cathedral mission in Thief l with all its zombies and haunts I was pretty shaken :mommy: . I haven't played many other scary games, so I wondered if any of you guys have played any good nerve shaking games.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Alien vs. Predator 2. Play it in the dark. Alone. Wearing a diaper. :cool:

3. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

For me it was Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. It's really scary, if you play it in the dark with 3D sound, I thought sometimes, that my heart will stop beating.

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Boogerman on the Sega Megadrive. All that mucous flying around gave me the shivers. :D

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I used to play Ultima Underworld in the dark and would jump frequently. The music added so much atmosphere, that when it was "reused" in Master of Magic a couple of years later, I would get chills.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh wait, I was wrong. Britney's Dance Beat is the scariest game ever made. :eek:

7. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Thief II. Freaking spiders....

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

@Death Rabbit: LOL, I totally agree.

Resident Evil II scared the **** out me the first times I played it. Zombies comin' outta the walls and stuff. Arrrggggghhhh :jawdrop:

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I second that Daephon. Man, and I was young. Played it just as it came out.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Thief, in the dark, headphones with deep sound, in bed, with the only light source the computer screen and a plasma ball. Fishtank making whirring noises and a fish throwing pebbles against the glass...

AND A FREAKY MOTHER WHO KEEPS SNEAKING UP BEHIND YOU AND TRYING TO FREAK YOU OUT!

I don't really get scared easily though. The worst I've played is thief and I just stop plying for five minutes, perhaps work on a mod then go back to it with a vengence

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Seriously I've never played a really scary game.
    But due to the fact that New World Computing always uses the best sound effects in their games I actually had some 'hop out of my chair' moments during Might and Magic VI.

Sounds unbelieveble doesn't it but it truly is when you turn the sound pretty loud and you're really into the game.

Effects and music are THE important aspects of creating ambiance and horror.

12. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
  13. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

-The first Resident Evil still scares the hell out of me, sometimes.
    -Both Aliens vs Predators game, playing human.
    -An oooooold game called "Iron Helix" ... always pursued by the damned guard robot.
    -Silent hill games.

14. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG]
    I still remember the first Marine mission.

"Harrison, run a bypass." In the movie Aliens the exact same line is spoken except the name is different.

Furthermore the Predator crackle, human screams and gore, such as the hanging skined bodies, still haunt my dreams. :mommy: :aaa:

Also: "Harrison, get the power generator online"

No thanks, take care now bye bye then.

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Exactly! You have to play the human marine, though - it's a must, I agree. The other two modes just aren't as fun at all. Still good, but not scary.

16. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Everquest...just try talking to some of the people in that asylum...you'll see

17. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I never really got scared of the Resident Evil serie.. I dunno why, zombies just aren't that scary to me. It can be explained. And I don't find explainable things scary.

The Silent Hill series though.. that scared the big jesus out of me. The atmosphear, the feeling that you know absolutely nothing that's going on.. it's just.. scary.

Also, the PC game Clive Barker's Undying freaked me out. It's mostly ghosts and hellish creatures but still..

18. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Aliens vs. Predator 2 here as well. Before it was Aliens vs. Predator, and before that was the Aliens mod to Doom.

AvP 2 is ingenious as a single-player game. You are actually made to feel like the race you're playing. As a marine, you're constantly afraid, very much aware of how quickly you'll die if someone catches you by surprise (try Projam's AvP2 mod, it uses Aliens (the second Alien movie) skins and modifies Aliens to be tougher and faster, while making marines weaker and slower. A brilliant mod). While normally I raise the gamma in order to see better, in AvP I deliberately keep it normal so I can't see. I've still not gotten used to the fear that creeps up your spine once the motion-detector starts beeping like heck and your flashlight's about to run out, and get a glimpse of the first shine of an alien head approaching from the end of the corridor. :)

19. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

AvP2 Spoilers:

The scareist parts besides the opening (which was done brillantly) was when you tried to rescue the "Tyra Banks" chick deep in the Alien hive only to discover you arrive right when the the eggs are hatching and chest bursters are bursting. Ya gotta high tail it back to the APC, aliens on your heels all the way. There was aliens comming at me when I was on the elevator and I was hoping the door would close, one alien got in when the door shut and I was like oh sh!t. Suffice to say I wet myself. :whoa:

Also there was this open lift scene where a body drops right next to you followed by a Predator crackle. I look around with my light and swarms of aliens attack from all sides. Moments later I hear a plasma caster blast and the lift drops and I fall to my death.

20. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Try Silent Hill on your own, in the dark. Definitely the scariest I've played.

Silent Hill 2, well you kinda know too much of what to expect for it to be scary.

The Resident Evils (I've played 1-3) relies too much on making you jump to be truly scary, though it will set your heart racing for a few seconds.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.