1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Satellite Broadband

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Old One, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

I have a chance to get broadband by satellite, the only way in this area. I was goiing to use HugesNet but I recieved an offer from a company called ViaSat. A service called exceed. Has anyone heard of this company or have any advice? Sat is not what I would choose but what to do? Any information would be welcome. ViaSat is cheaper and offers faster speeds as well as monthly limits on data allowance instead of weekly. Thanks.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is a major TV network where I live called Viasat and I think they are part of some greater corporation. Didn't know they did American internet though.

3. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@joacqin
    Might well be the same company. How is their reputation? I think I will try to find a web site again with a broader search. Thanks guy.

Found the bugger! The service is a new one offered by Wild Blue and is for new customers only. Is anyone using Wild Blue or HugesNet that can tell me how good/bad they are?

I was not able to get squat from exede and HN is same old crap.
    excede is 7.5 gig limit a month and they charge (I think I understood that right) for overage.

Now for the kicker.... Dish offers exede for $50 less for installation and doiing it tommoro am.
    10 gig limit a month and no charge for overage they just slow you down, still faster then my dial up.
    Same price for equipment rental and a $5 bill reduction for a year with a short trial/cancelation period if you don't like the service.

Cheeper than exedes own price and next day installation!

I would still like to hear from any users of satellite from either company what they think.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
  5. Old One

@Gaear
    Yes, however that is as you say a 4g price. It is $60 a month with if I remember right for the device for 3g and the limit is way to low for any use. Also we just get a signal form Verizon only once in a while and I was rudely told I need to buy a 4g machine and that the device for my machine would not be carried much longer. There is a nice limit for 4g but I do not want to and cannot afford to replace my comp at this time.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am so very very very happy that I live where I live. Heard so many horror stories about capped slow expensive ISPs. I pay roughly 35$ a month for an unlimited 100mb connection and that isn't a particularly good deal just what I get by not really paying any attention to it. Oh and it is cable but you would have to live literally in the middle of nowhere not to have access to similar internet and Sweden is a sparsely populated country so when I say middle of nowhere I mean at least an hours drive to your nearest neighbour and two-three hours to the grocery store.

As for the Viasat we have here they do mostly sport channels, it is one of the two major private TV networks here in Sweden starting out as satellite network so it isn't completely unlikely that it is the same company and if it is it is at least a major corporation which usually entails decent service and low probability of being completely screwed.

7. Old One

@joacqin
    I am totally jealous. I think the US has some of the worst internet rules and practices.
    After I found out quite by chance about Dish ( our tv service) offering exede cheaper than exede.....huh? Sigened up a few min ago. What screws us here is the "equal access" crap. Everyone is using it to set limits on everyone. I guess since everyone gets cut off or down or has to pay extra for overage it is equal. Can you loan me Swedens service?

Gaear is right about Verizon 4g being good but we just do not recieve a signal very often.
    They were my first choice before being insulting, rude and seeming to not want my business.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, as long as you're not tied to some long-term plan it shouldn't be a problem to switch to another provider if this one doesn't work out for you. Satellite net's offered here as well but I don't know anybody who'd use it as it's more expensive and more limited than regular xDSL/FTTH, which is available in most locations. So it really only comes into play in some very remote rural areas, but I don't actually know anybody living in such a place so I've got no first-hand accounts to share.

One thing's for sure though - even the slowest broadband beats dial-up by a mile.

9. Old One

I'm going to write a book, the trials of software released to soon. The tech doiing my installation had everything up in 2hr or so and we tried for about 5 hrs to register the modem and get on line. No luck. New system and the first one of the new systems he had done. After all that time Wild Blue finally put up a notice that they had to fix the new software for registration "please wait" and all that!

@Tal
    I have, when finally activated, a short period for trial then a long term contract. Having been a Dish user for many years they realize that my tv contract can and will be shut down if I do not like the actions of their broadband service.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That's cool, I hope it works out well for you.

11. Old One

It took 2 days due to a software and initalazation bug. Many hours but I have the max speed (12mps) and no limits till around April/May when they have a record of all usage to see how much or if slowdown is needed for bandwith. For my not being an ass about the problems working out the kinks dish is takeing some off my dish bill and $5 off a month for a year! Max speed for the system and a cut bill! Take that dial up. The service works great, downloads away!

12. Taluntain

Media:
    That's mighty decent of them. Wouldn't ever happen here, that's for sure. Have fun! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.