1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

satanic?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Prophete D'Acier, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Can anyone tell me why D&D was labelled "satanic"? Is it because of the need to "bow to deities"?

Oh yeah was Forgotten Realms the first D&D campaign setting? If not what is?

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It deals with sorcery, demons, and pagan religions. That is sufficient cause for some people.

The first published campaign setting for D&D was The World of Greyhawk. Its much better, IMHO, than the Forgotten Realms.

3. Uglyhead Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Better than Forgotten Realms!? Oooh! Please, tell me about it! I've not heard very much about this... world of greyhawk.

Also: A certain Mr.Chick made D&D the subject of several of his 'Scare people into converting' weird little comic book thingies. That probably didn't exactly help the image.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It was blown out of proportion and made into a satanic thing by several events... Most notably one of the manuals had a baatezu or tanar'ri on it which looked a lot like a devil to some people, and that's where it started... Then there was one with a human woman on a stone slab which looked enough like ritual sacrifice, and there were some kids who were into D&D and got themselves killed acting it up in real life... Stuff like that. With the power of 20th century media it easily got blown up enough for the most gullible of parents to believe it and spread the rumours around and create a myth around it, which has little to do with the truth.

You can check the Greyhawk novels here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index_grey.php

[ September 13, 2002, 14:35: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, its not especially surprising you haven't heard much about it. It was the official world for 1st edition. The FR replaced it as TSR's main gameworld in 1988 or so. A few Greyhawk things were published since, but I doubt it has 10% of the volume of stuff that the FR does.

The gods listed in the 3e PHB are from the Greyhawk campaign. Most of the spells with the wizard's name in the title are from the greyhawk campaign (though not all). Mordenkainen, Tenser, Rary, Bigby, Otiluke, Otto, Leomund, Drawmij, Melf, and most of the rest are from there.

The Greyhawk campaign covers a smaller area than the FR materials, but the world is organized in a fashion that seems more sensible to me. They have 3e sourcebook for the world now, so you might want to check it out.

All those novels on Tal's page are based on classic 1st edition adventure modules from the Greyhawk campaign. I haven't read any of them. If you can find them, I'd recommend the old "Greyhawk Adventures" novels by Gary Gygax. Some of the later ones were under the "Gord the Rogue" label.

[ September 13, 2002, 18:16: Message edited by: Vormaerin ]

6. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Hahaha, that part about those kids acting out D&D campaigns in real life is so funny. To bad they got killed. But why didn't they have sense enough to use fake weapons? LOL! Souds just like those kids who listened to Judas Priest and killed themselves after they heard the songs played backwards.

But I heard that some guy who was influential to the D&D world said that every player must choose a patron deity and actually worship it in real life or something. LOL!

Ok thanks guys for the info on Greyhawk. I saw some greyhawk books in the bookshop which I go to and they looked kinda old.

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You might want to try to insert the names 'Pat Pulling' and 'Jack Chick' into some web-search thingies (altavista, google, etc.) The latter has made a hilarious comic of which there are many parodies. For example, this smallish bit of info was found in mere seconds with this method:
    http://www.gamegrene.com/rants/when_do_i_get_my_frigging_spells.shtml

8. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Cool I´m a satanist since I play D&D

:evil: :evil:

9. Jicano Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] just read what i've put below and it will all make sense.

D&D started out as a fantasy just like any other fairy tale and because it was made bigger people assumed we took it as a reality. what they, including my own parents, overlooked is the simply fact that they have thier intrests(politics and knitting) and i have mine which just hapens to be a fiction story of more than one book.
    the main people who lable this as satanic are the christian babtists who think that so much as dancine is a sin. now comparitivle, if they simple dancing is an abomination(and they do, believe me) what we read and talk about makes us(in their perspective) demon posessed or worse.
    now you cant blame them for being paranoid when it comes natrally to them but as far as im concerned they've made one serious mistake. Idoits who try to make d&d a reality are dumbies and deserve to be put in an assylum for their stupidity. as for those who take it as a game, let them play the game, its not gonna hurt us.
    unless thise idiots from all these different cults are right and our "Dabbling in the demonic arts" are going to bring down the apocalypse sooner than it should have happened.
    My opinion, and you MAY quote me on this, "It's just a classical game that isn't mean to be played by idiots and/or weak minded imbessels." :p :1eye:

10. Shadowhunter Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Damn right Jicano!

Those of feeble mind must not aproach D&D. It may fry ther only neurone just to look at the manuals!

11. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31

I think idiots of that sort of exquisite calibre should be barred from attempting, oh well, say erm, EVERYTHING! They might end up gorging out their eyes with forks while trying to get some spaghetti into their mouths! I have heard idiots smarter than these guys getting exiled from idiot-land just because they were too dumb. Ok I'm exaggerating but I guess you get what I'm saying.

I'm grateful that, however, while we get bashed by superstitious people, none of us ever bashed back. In the course of this thread at least.

I mean how many of us worship demons or the deities in D&D outside the context of the game? How many of us practise witchcraft? Come on, it's not real!

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] In the mid 80's there was a book and TV movie called "Cruel Doubt" that added a lot of fury to the 'D&D is evil' camp. This talked about the events of the 'D&D killing' talked about above. Of course the main issue that these kids were insane before they started playing D&D somehow escaped from the logic of the argument.

13. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] So they were *INSANE*? That explains everything! :)

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    The whole idea is utterly ridiculous.

I believe that if someone went and asked some hard-core satanic worshipper that how do they use D&D to ensnare the minds of the players, they'd get laughed at their face.

Why? well, when I was in psych ward a few years ago, I talked to a few people who were, in essence, satanic worshippers. When I told them I was interested in fantasy and RPGs, I got laughed at and called a geek, and worse.

Besides, these people are utter loonies.... I mean the propaganda machine, that is...

Ara
    (Never going to submit to the propaganda spouted by these fools)

[ September 20, 2002, 13:06: Message edited by: Arabwel ]

15. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31

Yeah, we're nerds but we're not satanists! LOL!!! I don't know why we're either stereo typed as nerds or satanists but more recently we've been labelled nerds more and more. Ok, not really me although I do wear glasses... I suck at maths and science so I don't fit into the equation.

Any of you guys been labelled nerds? I asked some people if they thought I was one and they said yes but I think they were not serious.

16. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I don't see what's innately wrong with being a nerd. [Or, frankly, Satanic- but that's another point.]

I am a nerd, I'll be the first to profess it by standard definition. I'm good at math and science, I wear glasses, and I'm clumsy as all hell. Socially, outside of my girlfriend (who is a nerd under the same definition), I am inept in most any circle of people that doesn't somehow hinge on the basis of nerddom [i.e. computers, math, science, rpg's, ccg's, sci-fi, etc.]. It's not that I don't have opportunity- here I am going to college at Berkeley, CA, just outside of San Francisco, one of the liveliest and diverse areas in the world. But what can be said that is negative about being a nerd by someone who isn't:

Yeah, so I'm good at math. You're not. I win.

Yeah, so I'm good with computers. You're not. I win.

Yeah, I can comprehend multiple languages and read my binary watch. You can't. I win.

Yeah, I'm going to college and I have a cushy white collar job that pays twice minimum wage. You're not, and you don't. I win.

Yeah, someday someone will address me with a title- and it'll be Doctor, not Mister. You wouldn't know anything about that. I win.

Yeah, maybe I can't bench a VW bug or crush cans with my bare hands- but I already know more than you can hope to learn in your lifetime if you keep up your pace. Besides, at least my testicles aren't the size of jelly-beans...

Yeah, I don't get any attention from the popular "drive my daddies mustang" girls, but- maybe its just me- being beaten at chess by a girl nerd [and not by going easy] is one of the greatest feelings in the world. It is my contention that she-nerds are some of the coolest [and cutest] damn things on the planet. Winner, again.

Yeah, maybe I can't fit in with you- but considering how much you can't do, I'm beginning to think it's a matter of choice...

If people don't agree with what we do- that's their beef. When someone bludgeons you with swiss-cheese for an argument, it doesn't change anything. If they wanna babble on about the satanic nature of D&D, let them. In a game where the intention [classically] is to smite evil and defend the honor of the good and innocent, where demons are classified as "monsters" and to be contended with, I hardly see the correlation to devil-worshipping unless those in question were already prone either by a screwed-up childhood or lack of attention.

Chewbaca. I rest my case.

Amon-Ra

17. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31

ROCK ON AMON RA!!!!!
    Great speech pal. Amon Ra for president! LOL! Too bad I live outside the US :o ( (A VERY bad thing)

I wear glasses but I suck at maths. I (as good as) failed Elementary Mathematics in my exams and for Additional Mathematics I surprisingly got 86%; only like 5 people got higher marks than me. Miracle!!! Did I say my science sucked? Guess I should mention that. I am asthmatic, like using computers (but not particularly good at them), I prefer arts to sciences, I adore reading, I like soccer.... Am I a nerd, Amon Ra? Not that I care really. Just curious.

There's this song by the Arrogant Worms called "It's Great To Be A Nerd" and you can hear it at www.mp3.com Really funny!

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

hmm, depends, how geeky are the glasses? :p

Oh, and something to add to the nerd list:

I may have had to wear stupid cloths and a bow tie but hey, I missed out on a whole day of school

Sure, I went to a chess tournement, and I still missed out on a day of school :)

19. Xandar Dae'Ithil Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What Tal said....

20. Iuz the Wicked Gems: 1/31

Don't forget that Tom Hank classic Mazes and Monsters :D :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.